ICICI Bank

Updated March 5, 2015
3.2

ICICI Bank Managing Director and CEO Chanda D. Kochhar
Chanda D. Kochhar

Pros
  • Best place to learn corpora work style (in 19 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn by doing and not just by reading (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Workload (mis)management ; Dismissive of work-life balance concept (in 83 reviews)

• Long working hours hence no life work balance (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales will suck the blood out of you!

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A mindless job
    no need for any expertise or so in any field

Cons

Sales pressure
    work pressure
    no official lunch times, won't even matter to them if you don't have lunch at all
    most gruesome office timings
    no work life balance
    HR non-cooperative

Please don't pressurize the employees to the extent that they find it like working in hell.

Really bad experience

Current Employee - Manager in Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Manager in Delhi (India)

I have been working at ICICI Bank

Pros

Too much hard work that gets unrecognized

Cons

Long Hours, Ineffective management, Bureaucracy

chor bank of india

Current Employee - Officer in Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Officer in Delhi (India)

I have been working at ICICI Bank

Pros

do fraudlent activity in employees provident fund

Cons

having master degree in doing frauds

from where you achieve mastery in doing frauds with the employees

Aggressive culture

Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Manager in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at ICICI Bank

Pros

Quite entrepreneurial
    You get good responsibility and exposure
    Lot more freedom than most large banks

Cons

Horrible politics
    Very disorganized and chaotic
    Sub-par peers and managers a plenty

Great place to learn but horrible organizational

Former Employee - Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You are allowed to do new things if you want to. And given that organisation is fairly big you get to see big picture.

Cons

However hard you work your yearly rating and salary is a function of how well you manage perception and politics. HR treats you like a dog.. and your life can be made miserable by your senior and middle level managers who are below mediocre level. ICICI has a huge baggage of very poor and mediocre (current mid managers are the ones who could not find any job ...While the better ones left for better money in foreign banks).

Treat people well ... They are not dogs.

Too Much Sales Pressure

Current Employee - Department Manager in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Department Manager in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at ICICI Bank

Pros

Clear Growth Path and strong HR

Cons

Too much pressure and sell insurance

nnn

hectic

I have been working at ICICI Bank

Pros

respectable job I don't think so any other good thing

Cons

long working hours ...low pay scale

worst bank

I worked at ICICI Bank

Pros

choose only when there is no option

Cons

worst of its own kind

talk sense

Joining with icici bank, simply means giving a slavery agreement for certain period of time. Seniors harassments, superiors threatening words, management's fake promises, HELL ON THE EARTH.
    BEWARE OF ICICI BANK.

Former Employee - Sales Officer in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Sales Officer in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Some people will really help you a lot.
    You can learn how to deal with HNI customers & some tough situations.

Cons

Aggressive organization with some back stabbing seniors and head weight superiors.

Today's senior was yesterday's junior only. Why don't they remember it. How can a superior say "you got transfer to my branch just a week ago and how could you met with accident so early ? Go and take treatment to your fractured hand & other injuries today, and you should report in the branch by tomorrow morning. Other wise you won't be in the organization any more, and be prepared to pay training cost."

Being SAATH AAPKA, not in this way I hope.

Toxic Work Culture in Retail.....

Former Employee - Cluster Branch Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Cluster Branch Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Learning curve is steep.

Cons

In the garb of meritocracy the Bank has created “a very toxic culture.” Employees are disheartened, trust is low, and a lot of people feel and behave like victims. For every two people, one person is looking for a job. There is an atmosphere of fear which has been created. The prospect of going to work each day filled me with dread. The work which was interesting and meaningful had become stressful and monotonous.

I could'nt sleep at night due to the stress and thought of having to go into work the next day. The stress and lack of sleep really began to negatively affect my health. The stress from the job made you irritable and cranky around my family and friends. I was no fun to be around during this time. This job was so stressful that it started to negatively affect the relationships with my loved ones. The job had zapped all the life out of me. I felt tired all the time and lacked the motivation I once had when I had joined ICICI.

The company has no policy or no intention of ever implementing a work/life balance program for employees. Even if you apply for privilege leave you are asked by your supervisor to postpone it or cancel it altogether citing business pressures.

I don't agree with the corporate culture or the direction the Bank is headed. In my case, the culture was a turn and burn environment. They had a high pressure environment, and we lived in constant fear of losing our jobs. There was no value placed in sales professionals, and the place was a revolving door.

Your Ideas are not heard by Bosses and your work and contribution is not valued.

The "good old boys club" at the top has made it impossible for advancement. Nobody likes to work in a situation when they know where there is no chance that they can advance within the company. If you see a pattern of upper management promoting their favorites over more qualified candidates this is a sign that your company has a "good old boys club."

At the job, I was constantly picked up, bullied and verbally abused by my boss. I refused to put up with this and there were several occasions when I confronted my Boss about it. My former manager was a micro manager and used to call every 3 hours asking for Life Insurance numbers. I sometimes wondered if we were working for a life insurance company or a Bank.

This manager pitted his people against one another. He was partial to some employees and harsh with others even if their numbers were the same. Office politics kill morale and as the manager you should be doing things to prevent it not perpetuate it. Don't be vindictive. Create a positive environment where people want to come to everyday.

I dont remember a single instance where my Regional Head led by example or helped me cracked a deal or a big account. In fact he used to take all the credit for the deals cracked by us.

My Boss used to curse during meetings at employees and use public humiliation to put people down. Again, do this and your employees will quit. Nobody likes someone that is a know it all and can do no wrong. Don't take all the credit when things go right and then be the first to pass blame when things go wrong.

Have you ever had that pit in your stomach develop on Sunday just from the thought that Monday is only a day away; and, you know you have to go back to work? Well, I am glad I don't have it anymore! That place is my rear view mirror.

Some 1200 employees were laid off by the bank without giving any valid reasons with senior management saying they need to cut their losses !

The day I quit that job was one of the most liberating experiences in my life. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. As I was leaving, when I got to the lobby area I had a quick decision to make, take the elevator or the stairs. I quickly decided to take the stairs as I could hit them running. I didn't want to wait for the elevator! The feeling I got once I made it to my car and started to drive away was amazing. I truly felt a sense of freedom like I had never felt before!

The next few days were spent relaxing with my family and I took time out to travel abroad and preparing to move on professionally. For me quitting that poisonous job was the one of the best decisions I ever made. Today, I'm in a much better place personally. I am far less grouchy and stressed. Additionally, I am in a much better place professionally. I am also sleeping much better, and my family likes me a little more these days.

Nobody likes to be micro managed. Be a leader not a micro manager. Be someone that your employees admire and want to work hard for. Do this by leading by example with your work ethic, integrity, and by treating people with respect. Do not constantly threaten people with their job. If this is your idea of coaching your team, then you should not be in management. As the boss you should be the teacher and find ways to help people improve. Managing by fear will make your employees resent you and the company. The first chance they get they will jump ship.