ICICI Bank Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.3

ICICI Bank Managing Director and CEO Chanda D. Kochhar
Chanda D. Kochhar

Pros
  • Best place to learn corpora work style (in 18 reviews)

• Opportunity to learn by doing and not just by reading (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Workload (mis)management ; Dismissive of work-life balance concept (in 78 reviews)

• Long working hours hence no life work balance (in 74 reviews)

More Highlights

Good

Current Employee - Privilege Banker (AM I) in Hyderābād (India)
    Current Employee - Privilege Banker (AM I) in Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Brand name,HR strict rules on bosses regarding abuse and off the job behavior,

Cons

No internal movement,less bonus, negligible increment unless u get promoted

Sales personnel should have incevite structure,movement with in the organizational domain should be enabled

Excellent place to learn and grow. One of the few organizations where women empowerment is implemented.

Former Employee - Branch Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Branch Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Trainings, motivation and the support from seniors. There is no gender bias.

Cons

Long sitting hours were a concern. It would have been great if there were more facilities for the employees at the branches.

Work life balance should be maintained. The employee should be happy. The energy and enthusiasm at ICICI is infectious. If the work life balance is maintained the turnover would reduce and the skilled employees can be retained.

It was awesome.

Former Employee - Management Trainee in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Management Trainee in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the work culture and the benefits of being an employee are numerous. particularly in ICICI Bank towers Gachibowli, Hyderabad.

Cons

Long working hours though not compulsory, the competition demand it in there. There is lot of protocol and bureaucracy. Sometimes troubling bosses.

You are doing a good job

Overall Good experience with I-Bank in Assets

Former Employee - Solutions Manager in Rohtak (India)
    Former Employee - Solutions Manager in Rohtak (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good working environment, lots of learning,

Cons

Branch Banking Services, always wake up at month ends

Good learning curve and opportunities

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time

Pros

Work life balance is pretty decent.

Cons

Work gets repetitive sometimes.Coordination among teams is a challenge

A great and enriching place to work

Current Employee - CHIEF MANAGER in Mumbai (India)
    Current Employee - CHIEF MANAGER in Mumbai (India)

I have been working at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

the organisation invests in an individual. Is fair in its appraisal methods. is open to employee feedback

Cons

not a place for weak hearts. one should be skilled at multi tasking. long hours.

think practical and should be realistic in goal setting. retain talent at all cost and reward well.

Assistant Manager at ICICI Bank

Former Employee - Commodity Control Manager in Nāgpur, Maharashtra (India)
    Former Employee - Commodity Control Manager in Nāgpur, Maharashtra (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work culture and environment is good

Cons

not providing job as per qualifications.

ICICI Bank Provided me an opportunity to know about international trade & Forex ,Banking operation.As it is my first job

Former Employee - Relationships Manager in Hyderābād (India)
    Former Employee - Relationships Manager in Hyderābād (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great work place,Gaining sound knowledge about financial products,

Cons

Sales target is high on employees

Good culture and work environment

Assistant manager @ ICICI

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Best exposure comprising hands on experience to latest happenings in banking technologies.

Cons

Salary hikes are below par compared to time spent in office to keep the bank running 24/7.

Improve the pay structure from bottom level. Define a slab for increments. 3-4% increment in CTC translates to Rs. 350/month for AM level employees.

Toxic Work Culture in Retail.....

Former Employee - Cluster Branch Manager in Mumbai (India)
    Former Employee - Cluster Branch Manager in Mumbai (India)

I worked at ICICI Bank full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Learning curve is steep.

Cons

In the garb of meritocracy the Bank has created “a very toxic culture.” Employees are disheartened, trust is low, and a lot of people feel and behave like victims. For every two people, one person is looking for a job. There is an atmosphere of fear which has been created. The prospect of going to work each day filled me with dread. The work which was interesting and meaningful had become stressful and monotonous.

I could'nt sleep at night due to the stress and thought of having to go into work the next day. The stress and lack of sleep really began to negatively affect my health. The stress from the job made you irritable and cranky around my family and friends. I was no fun to be around during this time. This job was so stressful that it started to negatively affect the relationships with my loved ones. The job had zapped all the life out of me. I felt tired all the time and lacked the motivation I once had when I had joined ICICI.

The company has no policy or no intention of ever implementing a work/life balance program for employees. Even if you apply for privilege leave you are asked by your supervisor to postpone it or cancel it altogether citing business pressures.

I don't agree with the corporate culture or the direction the Bank is headed. In my case, the culture was a turn and burn environment. They had a high pressure environment, and we lived in constant fear of losing our jobs. There was no value placed in sales professionals, and the place was a revolving door.

Your Ideas are not heard by Bosses and your work and contribution is not valued.

The "good old boys club" at the top has made it impossible for advancement. Nobody likes to work in a situation when they know where there is no chance that they can advance within the company. If you see a pattern of upper management promoting their favorites over more qualified candidates this is a sign that your company has a "good old boys club."

At the job, I was constantly picked up, bullied and verbally abused by my boss. I refused to put up with this and there were several occasions when I confronted my Boss about it. My former manager was a micro manager and used to call every 3 hours asking for Life Insurance numbers. I sometimes wondered if we were working for a life insurance company or a Bank.

This manager pitted his people against one another. He was partial to some employees and harsh with others even if their numbers were the same. Office politics kill morale and as the manager you should be doing things to prevent it not perpetuate it. Don't be vindictive. Create a positive environment where people want to come to everyday.

I dont remember a single instance where my Regional Head led by example or helped me cracked a deal or a big account. In fact he used to take all the credit for the deals cracked by us.

My Boss used to curse during meetings at employees and use public humiliation to put people down. Again, do this and your employees will quit. Nobody likes someone that is a know it all and can do no wrong. Don't take all the credit when things go right and then be the first to pass blame when things go wrong.

Have you ever had that pit in your stomach develop on Sunday just from the thought that Monday is only a day away; and, you know you have to go back to work? Well, I am glad I don't have it anymore! That place is my rear view mirror.

Some 1200 employees were laid off by the bank without giving any valid reasons with senior management saying they need to cut their losses !

The day I quit that job was one of the most liberating experiences in my life. I couldn't get out of there fast enough. As I was leaving, when I got to the lobby area I had a quick decision to make, take the elevator or the stairs. I quickly decided to take the stairs as I could hit them running. I didn't want to wait for the elevator! The feeling I got once I made it to my car and started to drive away was amazing. I truly felt a sense of freedom like I had never felt before!

The next few days were spent relaxing with my family and I took time out to travel abroad and preparing to move on professionally. For me quitting that poisonous job was the one of the best decisions I ever made. Today, I'm in a much better place personally. I am far less grouchy and stressed. Additionally, I am in a much better place professionally. I am also sleeping much better, and my family likes me a little more these days.

Nobody likes to be micro managed. Be a leader not a micro manager. Be someone that your employees admire and want to work hard for. Do this by leading by example with your work ethic, integrity, and by treating people with respect. Do not constantly threaten people with their job. If this is your idea of coaching your team, then you should not be in management. As the boss you should be the teacher and find ways to help people improve. Managing by fear will make your employees resent you and the company. The first chance they get they will jump ship.