ICON

Updated Jul 20, 2014
ICON – Dublin – “Dublin”

ICON CEO Ciaran Murray

Ciaran Murray

Pros
  • Work/life balance, benefits, training programs and advancement opportunities(in 13 reviews)

• Carrier development opportunities, good benefits, friendly environment(in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little concern for work/life balance here anymore(in 9 reviews)

• So there was no career development or assessment, making it impossible to ever be promoted or get feedback on my performance(in 5 reviews)

Administrative Assistant

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsGreat benefits, great pay, good work/life balance, great people

ConsIt's fast paced and intense at times but good outweighs the bad

Advice to Senior ManagementMore incentive given to people with really intense projects would be helpful but overall it's a great place to work.

Must be patient.

Software Developer (Current Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat vacation time, European style. Salary increase is minimal, at least in my experience. Maybe some people are getting nice increases if they're a star. But from what I've heard, you have to leave and come back or have another offer in hand 'if' they're willing to counter to keep you, otherwise, don't hold your breath. If you have a mentor or a natural ability to learn the business, then you've got it made. Otherwise, the learning curve can be steep for mere mortals.

ConsIf you're not patient, forget it. You'll only be frustrated. But if you're willing to do what they tell you, then you can last a long time. In the event of a layoff, I was told that you get a little severance, which is more than most companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement will decide. Nothing else is new here.

Nice place to start out, but definitely no place to grow

Clinical Research Assistant (Former Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat way to get your foot in the door of pharma

ConsNo opportunity to grow at all. Promised opportunities, strung along for years. I also felt like the environment felt clique-ish.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management in the Chicago office: invest in your employees!!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Long Time Employee

ProsGreat benefits and flexible work hours

ConsUnrealistic demands for greater time and output place a tremendous amount of stress on the employees at ICON. There is little concern for work/life balance here anymore. When I joined ICON, there was a sense that the demands of hard work and long hours were for the development and growth of this company, and would lead to greater opportunity for the employees. I don’t think this is the case anymore. Long time employment at this company appears to be looked down upon. Loyalty is no longer a valued trait. As an employee, the only people that matter to the organization are the investors. I no longer see opportunity for growth,as hiring from outside of the organization is the norm and growth from within is nonexistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees are the lifeblood of any organization. Keep them somewhat happy, and they will work hard, and you will prosper. That was ICON. Not so much anymore

Great place to work in the past but now a corporate machine!

Director (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsWork/life balance, benefits, training programs and advancement opportunities.

ConsCorporate based company culture, too many IT systems that are constantly changing, lots of in-fighting and power struggles with management teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementDeliver on promises made to employees at town-hall meetings. Exclusive benefit programs in place for the Dublin office and showcased on company intranet - what about the other 10,000 employees?

Good company to start your career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery good benefits package. Great coworkers.

ConsWork/life balance is poor. Low pay, no bonuses.

Corporate culture has declined with too much focus on financial bottom line

Senior Director, Global Head (Former Employee) North Wales, PA

ProsExciting projects across a wide variety of therapy areas and sponsors

ConsPeople are not valued as they were 5 years ago. Having been a global department head, my compensation was okay but generally the company has become very tight fisted in rewarding its people.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovation and quality suffer when you focus too much on margins and don't value your people

never again.

Document Management Associate (Former Employee) North Wales, PA

Proscafeteria, nice size cube, company outings

Consunderpaid, arbitrary office politics, unprofessional coworkers

Advice to Senior Managementtreat your employees with respect, not just to those who kiss your behind

Great people, poor work-life balance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Ellicott City, MD

ProsI worked with smart, capable, helpful people. Pay was good.

ConsWork-life balance was challenging. Work weeks of 55-70 hour/week were expected and necessary to keep up with the work.

Clinical Research Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place for gaining experience in multiple therapeutic areas

ConsThey were slow moving to a regional model for CRAs

Worked for ICON? Contribute to the Community!