ICON Reviews

215 reviews filtered by
2.5
ICON CEO Ciaran Murray
Ciaran Murray

Pros
  • Work/life balance, benefits, training programs and advancement opportunities (in 14 reviews)

• Carrier development opportunities, good benefits, friendly environment (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • There is little concern for work/life balance here anymore (in 11 reviews)

• So there was no career development or assessment, making it impossible to ever be promoted or get feedback on my performance (in 5 reviews)

1. Study Start-Up Associates are Overworked ... Big time!

Former Employee - Study Start-Up Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Study Start-Up Associate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I worked at ICON full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits. Relaxed management style. Great opportunity to learn about big pharma if no prior experience.

Cons

This company piles way too much work on its lower-level employees. The pay (at least for me) was very poor considering the amount of work I was producing. The turnover is crazy and management did not re-hire in a timely enough manner. While I was one of the few who could manage the workload in my department, I was so stressed when I worked here. The people at this company are hostile to each other as well; escalations are the norm.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better, distribute the workload better and offer more incentives to retain key staff. Start an initiative to have co-workers treat each other better.

2. Proposal Developer

I have been working at ICON full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment. Hard-working and caring employees at the lower levels/lower level of management. The pay is good. The healthcare is very good.

Cons

Not enough bodies to write proposals. Rigorous processes for developing proposals that must be learned by trial and error, as they are not documented. Job description changes very frequently, seemingly on a whim from someone far removed from the lower positions. Unreasonable expectations for working hours/response time. Internal assessment shows most are unsatisfied. They have given potential solutions lip service, but no real action taken. Many managers two or more levels above proposal developer are completely out or touch. Too many managers, not enough worker bees. Business Developers have free rein to get whatever they want. There is no push back.

Advice to Management

Prioritize levels of responsiveness based on business value. Hire more people. Streamline processes. Eliminate useless ones. Be more in touch with the actual work and challenges that are preventing better proposal quality, and also, a decent work life balance for employees. Pull back the power from all business developers who are abusing their power and making everything a priority and due immediately.

3. Nice people. Company lacks structure.

I have been working at ICON full-time

Pros

Friendly atmosphere and good people to work with.

Cons

Low pay and lack of career motivation.

5. My experience working here has been a relatively pleasant one. However, I feel like this is only a starting point for me

I have been working at ICON

Pros

Friendly environment where co-workers feel like family. People work together well in teams and there is always someone willing to help. Job security.

Cons

People are content and lose motivation easily. Pay is less than average. There is no clear career path within the company.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees when they complain about low pay and compensation. There are other opportunities out there.

6. Clinical Trial Assistant

I have been working at ICON

Pros

Job stability good environment due to Co-workers

Cons

There are no clear career pathways for CTA

7. Great company to start with...low starting salary.

Current Employee - CRA in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - CRA in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at ICON

Pros

Company will give those with no industry a chance to learn and grow.

Cons

Starting salaries are low and promotion salaries are low. Bonuses are minimum.

Advice to Management

For CRA go back to previous bonus structure.

8. Nothing changes- don't go there

Current Employee - Clinical Trial Assistant in Marlow, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Clinical Trial Assistant in Marlow, England (UK)

I have been working at ICON

Pros

Very pleasant work mates. Good shopping nearby.

Cons

All work- no life balance. Ridiculous hours with ever increasing workload due to high staff turnover. Many people stressed and witnessed some having full blown breakdown. If you value your health and sanity then don't work for these people.

Advice to Management

Value your biggest asset which are your staff and you will reap the reward. Some of your managers are vicious bullies who lie, scheme and manipulate for their own ends.

9. Very stable organization

Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Senior Project Director in Durham, NC

I have been working at ICON full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, good culture, focused on client and quality

Cons

External hires have increased over the yrs vs organic growth

Advice to Management

Look internally

10. I would not recommend this company, it's all about the money, they don't care about employees!

Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate II
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Associate II

I worked at ICON full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Salary is quite ok and benefits

Cons

It's all about the metrics and quantity, not quality. They put people to do just anything just to reach the goals and employees are not satisfied. Training and management is sometimes horrible. Quality suffers when people are just pushed to run to reach the metrics. They don't count other work than the site visits...

Advice to Management

Do understand that there are other tasks also for CRAs than only conducting the site visits. Could you also tell to employees what are the Icon values, I worked for you for years and I still don't know....???

Noble work, lousy company

I have been working at ICON

Pros

You know you are doing work that is helping sick people
    Some lower-level employees are very nice to work with

Cons

Extremely rigid corporate environment where employees are treated like drones
    US employees have had sick time taken away, so you must choose between being sick or taking vacation. As a result, most employees come to work sick and get everyone around them sick.
    Health insurance costs double each year. Salaries in no way keep pace.
    No creativity or innovation is encouraged.
    Managers are discouraged from giving any positive feedback; nothing is ever good enough, even when goals are exceeded.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting benefits. You are losing all your good employees by doing this.
    Don't expect employees to jump for joy at your announcements that profits are breaking records unless you intend on sharing the wealth with all employees, which you haven't.
    Your company has no work-life balance. This is not sustainable.

ICON Photos