ICU Medical Reviews

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
3.2

Vivek Jain

Moving in the right direction . . .

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company has been very successful for a very long time despite very lax oversight and management and a jock culture that was sometimes difficult to figure out, let alone break into if you didn't play hockey. New CEO came in and reorganized the company, cutting some positions that were redundant--especially in the field sales force. I think it was the right thing, but time will tell. At least he was trying to actively make a difference, something that hasn't happened for a while. And he promised to use the company's vast cash reserves to build and grow. I hope the moves prove to be successful. I like it here.

Cons

The restructuring is new, and whenever something new is put in place it takes a while for people to get over the shock of change and begin pulling in the same direction. Some people, who may have liked the fact that they weren't really held accountable in the past, have left. Others are grumbling and missing the old days. Others are stepping up and embracing the new roles. At the end of the day, I think we'll pull this off.

Be flexible, listen to people, and don't allow the negative murmurings stop the positive changes. And don't be afraid to make changes in senior positions.

Enjoyed It!

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It was a great place to work. I enjoyed my time with all the managers and co-workers. ICU Medical manufatures Industry leading product and is dedicated to developing new and innovative product all others try to manufactures try to duplicate.

Cons

Recent corporate restructuring makes current sales force extreemly nervous about future after mass layoffs. Also, sales commission and bonus structure is weak.

Great company

Current Employee - Junior Product Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Junior Product Specialist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Managers, Great people work for this company

Cons

Restructured after 20+ years of success

None

Issues constantly regarding nonpayment of commissions and company nepotism.

Former Employee - Oncology Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Oncology Product Specialist

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of managerial oversight. The only good thing about working for this company was the bond with the great people in the sales division and the fact you didn't have to work much because you wouldn't be compensated for your efforts anyway.

Cons

Horrible, ambiguous commission plan. Poorly developed products due to management ignoring feedback from field reps.

Stop worrying about executive compensation for upper management who does little or nothing to generate sales and concentrate on field reps compensation. They are the ones driving the sales and lack of compensation for them created apathy and terrible morale.

Great Family Oriented Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great company to work for if you're after something long term and reliable. Everybody here wants to do good in the world, since the company is so patient and caregiver oriented. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Because everyone cares so much, this can cause some tension and division. It is fairly one-dimensional in the way of career advancement.

ICU medical is a fast paced growing company in the market

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Clemente, CA

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They are very generous in terms of providing the systems and equipments to perform your job

Cons

they need a proper steering from top to bottom to drive this company. they need to implement certain best practices and put processes and policies in place

Lies, deception, and loathing

I worked at ICU Medical

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits are good.

Cons

Employment by fear. Trust no one.

Go pound sand. You're truly worthless.

I like this place . . .

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great products that always focus on solving a clinical need. Good environment, not a lot of politics. I like being part of a company that makes things that help people. We do.

Cons

It's hard having headquarters and manufacturing be separated by two states. Feels a bit disconnected and siloed at times. Not sure how to fix it other than moving headquarters to Salt Lake City, but I don't think many people would want to make the move from San Clemente to make that happen.

Keep building the company and provide opportunities for people to grow in their responsibilities and be recognized for the good work they do.

Need (effective) leaders

Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Automation Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Many opportunities for assertive people

Cons

Too many inept folks in high positions

Training programs to enlighten the dead wood?

Good for Some, Not for others.

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The "open door" policy is followed by all. The pople here seem like they really care, even if they are not

Cons

The company is changing. Half the company has been here forever and is overcompensated. They originated from a small business and have been moved around from department to department as the business grew due to the fact they were no longer qualified. The other half of the company are new, OVER compensated management who were small fish in big ponds in years past and came to ICU to be a big fish in small pond. They tend to think they are better than everyone and love to preach without much action.

ICU Medical Photos