ICU Medical Reviews

Vivek Jain

1. ICU Medical

Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Product Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good compensation versus most manufacturers.

Cons

2 weeks vacation to start up

Work here if you want to be employed by the worst company in the world

Pros

They offer a decent comp plan and have a well respected albeit very commoditized product. They offer their customer decent training.

Cons

Gives ZERO support, guidance and has no loyalty to their staff. You have a very short amount of time to "sink or swim" all on your own

Advice to Management

Be more approachable, have actual systems in place, change the culture, help employees flourish

Some great people, very poorly managed

Former Employee - Senior Process Tech in West Valley City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Process Tech in West Valley City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The pay is good. They have some great employees. They started a yearly bonus program. I can't think of anything else.

Cons

First thing, very very unqualified poor management. HR doesn't do much for employees. They do not employ enough people for the tasks. Bad planning, no differential for grave yard. Empty promises, no room to advance with current Management and HR.

Advice to Management

Change management

5. Gotta love the stock price . . .

Current Employee - Mid Level Management
    Current Employee - Mid Level Management

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

New CEO seems to have a good handle on what it takes to deliver shareholder value--and the market as a whole is reacting well. Great employee stock program. Hope everyone is taking advantage of it. Also seems to be a renewed sense of urgency around delivering the numbers.

Cons

Not everyone who has been here for a long time is on board with the changes. I think more consistent communication of what is expected and what it will take to be successful long term needs to be done. Culture is still evolving.

Difficult, toxic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO has recognized the need for radical changes. Salaries are above industry' averages. They want to attract talent. Work/Life balance is easy, excellence or high performance is not demanded. New Upper Management is attempting to improve performance.

Cons

Toxic environment created by long tenure employees. Many of them lack any significant empirical knowledge, or experience prior to ICU; creating a pervasive tunnel vision syndrome in so many areas. A number of them were promoted within from the assembly/front lines to office positions; which could be positive, if the promotions were based on proven skills. Unfortunately, due to their tenure there, those long-tenure underperforming employees are almost impossible to remove. Most of them have not invested any energy in education (not improving overall team knowledge), or making themselves marketable; therefore, they are unable to find similar jobs/salaries elsewhere. A significant number of them are ill prepared for their decision making roles. A number of Mid Level Managers, Supervisors and even "Corporate" Managers have not achieved pertinent training beyond GEDs or High School Diplomas at the most; and that will be perfectly acceptable, if they were skilled AND had had other significant leadership roles prior to ICU that could had prepared them for their current roles, (which is not the case). Granted. Substantial training and higher education do not necessarily define competence; however, this education void is so evident in the prevalent incompetency hindering this organization that it merits your attention. Results: environment where unskilled individuals will lie, and throw others under the bus at any opportunity in order to keep their jobs. Unhealthy work environment; which can be traced back to people knowing that they will not qualify for similar roles in the job market. Talented, marketable employees do not stay beyond the time required to fulfill signing bonuses, or relocation agreements. If you want to be part of a winning team, and feel proud to represent your employer, then, this might not be the right environment for you. When I accepted their offer, a colleague warned me about ICU's reputation, but I dismissed his observation as just another disgruntled former employee's opinion. I thought that I would be part of the solution. I wish I had listened. Maybe, it will work out for you. I finally left after accepting a decent job offer. Good Luck.

Advice to Management

Review titles, and salaries. Titles are exaggerated for their skill levels; resulting in having untalented, inexperience, and uneducated people making inappropriate decisions at so many levels. Implement performance review processes to weed out under performers, and with some effort, removing them or, at least ,demoting them back to more appropriate roles.

Companies have to be built to last, not built to sell.

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Midwest, WY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Midwest, WY

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Upper, upper management does not have a clue.

Advice to Management

see above

Quality

Former Employee - Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was slightly higher than other locations and fairly compensated. Cell phones for each technical employee. Great database tracking of a high volume product. Employee Stock Purchase Plan at a discount. Investments in new equipment. In-house machining. Benefits were on par with surrounding area.

Cons

Limited career growth within business. Lean culture was void. Loosely based on lean tools. Company reached its stock and growth apex under former CEO Dr. Lopez. The company has a bolus of projects that often are unresolved actions from product launches. It seemed like product quality essential risk mitigation and safety verification testing were often sacrificed for rapid design development. Its philosophy of getting the product out quickly and "letting the market determine whether it is good through discovery of the defects", was an unnecessary risk game with the public health.

Advice to Management

Improve quality management through a restructure with educated, experienced people. Initiate a supplier quality program.

9. ICU Medical

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was good team work utilized to be able to complete the tasks needed.

Cons

During my work time there was multiple management changes

10. Product Specialist Representative

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for , great product.

Cons

New management group , company will be sold within next 3 to 5 years

Advice to Management

None

Moving in the right direction . . .

I have been working at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This company has been very successful for a very long time despite very lax oversight and management and a jock culture that was sometimes difficult to figure out, let alone break into if you didn't play hockey. New CEO came in and reorganized the company, cutting some positions that were redundant--especially in the field sales force. I think it was the right thing, but time will tell. At least he was trying to actively make a difference, something that hasn't happened for a while. And he promised to use the company's vast cash reserves to build and grow. I hope the moves prove to be successful. I like it here.

Cons

The restructuring is new, and whenever something new is put in place it takes a while for people to get over the shock of change and begin pulling in the same direction. Some people, who may have liked the fact that they weren't really held accountable in the past, have left. Others are grumbling and missing the old days. Others are stepping up and embracing the new roles. At the end of the day, I think we'll pull this off.

Advice to Management

Be flexible, listen to people, and don't allow the negative murmurings stop the positive changes. And don't be afraid to make changes in senior positions.

RSS Feed </> Embed