ICU Medical Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Vivek Jain

1. Completely Oblivious and Incompetent Senior Management.

I have been working at ICU Medical

Pros

The only pro to working here is the slightly above average pay but it quickly is overcome by all the cons that you have to deal with from day to day.

Cons

Pretty much all of senior management has absolutely no clue of what is actually going on in the company. When they make decisions it has a negitive impact on the business 95% of the time. I have never witnessed the level of incompetence at any company I have ever worked for in my life that I have experienced while at ICU Medical. It is as if they are trying to do everything in their power to drive the company into the ground. The unfortunate part is that they do actually have a few very talented employees working there but I can't imagine that they will stick around very long term with the way the company is being run. Talent is never recognised. The company is plagued with internal politics. I have seen many people relocate to take a position here to regret it later. If you are looking at possibly working here or are offered a job from here, the best advice I could give you is drop it and never look back, this place is a disaster and the way it is going it will never improve.

Advice to Management

Fire all senior management ans start from scratch, it is the only way it can possibly improve.

Lies, deception, and loathing

I worked at ICU Medical

Pros

Pay is good. Benefits are good.

Cons

Employment by fear. Trust no one.

Advice to Management

Go pound sand. You're truly worthless.

3. Issues constantly regarding nonpayment of commissions and company nepotism.

Former Employee - Oncology Product Specialist
    Former Employee - Oncology Product Specialist

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lack of managerial oversight. The only good thing about working for this company was the bond with the great people in the sales division and the fact you didn't have to work much because you wouldn't be compensated for your efforts anyway.

Cons

Horrible, ambiguous commission plan. Poorly developed products due to management ignoring feedback from field reps.

Advice to Management

Stop worrying about executive compensation for upper management who does little or nothing to generate sales and concentrate on field reps compensation. They are the ones driving the sales and lack of compensation for them created apathy and terrible morale.

5. New CEO= bad news!

I have been working at ICU Medical

Pros

The products are the best on the market.

Cons

There Is a lot of competition in the market and more to come. They need more products to survive. Will probably sell the company soon. Management knows nothing and they make really stupid decisions.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees in the field and reward those who succeed. Get upper management to delegate responsibilities instead of having one man run the entire company.

Quality

Former Employee - Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Salary was slightly higher than other locations and fairly compensated. Cell phones for each technical employee. Great database tracking of a high volume product. Employee Stock Purchase Plan at a discount. Investments in new equipment. In-house machining. Benefits were on par with surrounding area.

Cons

Limited career growth within business. Lean culture was void. Loosely based on lean tools. Company reached its stock and growth apex under former CEO Dr. Lopez. The company has a bolus of projects that often are unresolved actions from product launches. It seemed like product quality essential risk mitigation and safety verification testing were often sacrificed for rapid design development. Its philosophy of getting the product out quickly and "letting the market determine whether it is good through discovery of the defects", was an unnecessary risk game with the public health.

Advice to Management

Improve quality management through a restructure with educated, experienced people. Initiate a supplier quality program.

Difficult, toxic work environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO has recognized the need for radical changes. Salaries are above industry' averages. They want to attract talent. Work/Life balance is easy, excellence or high performance is not demanded. New Upper Management is attempting to improve performance.

Cons

Toxic environment created by long tenure employees. Many of them lack any significant empirical knowledge, or experience prior to ICU; creating a pervasive tunnel vision syndrome in so many areas. A number of them were promoted within from the assembly/front lines to office positions; which could be positive, if the promotions were based on proven skills. Unfortunately, due to their tenure there, those long-tenure underperforming employees are almost impossible to remove. Most of them have not invested any energy in education (not improving overall team knowledge), or making themselves marketable; therefore, they are unable to find similar jobs/salaries elsewhere. A significant number of them are ill prepared for their decision making roles. A number of Mid Level Managers, Supervisors and even "Corporate" Managers have not achieved pertinent training beyond GEDs or High School Diplomas at the most; and that will be perfectly acceptable, if they were skilled AND had had other significant leadership roles prior to ICU that could had prepared them for their current roles, (which is not the case). Granted. Substantial training and higher education do not necessarily define competence; however, this education void is so evident in the prevalent incompetency hindering this organization that it merits your attention. Results: environment where unskilled individuals will lie, and throw others under the bus at any opportunity in order to keep their jobs. Unhealthy work environment; which can be traced back to people knowing that they will not qualify for similar roles in the job market. Talented, marketable employees do not stay beyond the time required to fulfill signing bonuses, or relocation agreements. If you want to be part of a winning team, and feel proud to represent your employer, then, this might not be the right environment for you. When I accepted their offer, a colleague warned me about ICU's reputation, but I dismissed his observation as just another disgruntled former employee's opinion. I thought that I would be part of the solution. I wish I had listened. Maybe, it will work out for you. I finally left after accepting a decent job offer. Good Luck.

Advice to Management

Review titles, and salaries. Titles are exaggerated for their skill levels; resulting in having untalented, inexperience, and uneducated people making inappropriate decisions at so many levels. Implement performance review processes to weed out under performers, and with some effort, removing them or, at least ,demoting them back to more appropriate roles.

Incompetent senior management

I have been working at ICU Medical

Pros

They pay pretty decent salaries.

Cons

The senior management are unqualified for their positions, and have made poor decisions that have affected quality. They are losing quality personnel like a mass exodus, yet they are oblivious. They will soon be unable to maintain the growth they have been enjoying without the necessary talent where it is needed most to clean up their messes.

Advice to Management

It is time to start listening to the talented technical staff that you have managed to retain.

Insecure, Incompetent, and Unethical Business Leaders

Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at ICU Medical

Pros

Good compensation, good benefits, technical challenges galore

Cons

Lame mgmt, poor processes, severe backbiting by peers

Advice to Management

Sycophants do not make good employees

The skill set required to survive in this environment is unique.

I have been working at ICU Medical

Pros

There are plenty of opportunities for process improvements, the fruit that remains is still pretty low.

Cons

Advancement will be a challenge during your employment with ICU - great place to get started but not a home for career driven individuals. Corporate management continually fails to make the jump from a small startup mentality to mid-sized global company. There is a "them vs. us" mentality that is perpetuated by chronic mistrust and secrecy.

Advice to Management

Take advantage of the talents you hired, some of the decisions would benefit from a discussion with the folks who will clean up the aftermath.

11. Some unqualified managers need to have a lot of leadership training, management training and people skills.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Clemente, CA

I worked at ICU Medical

Pros

Good growing company & some nice people.

Cons

Really should hire only qualified employees

Advice to Management

More leadership trainings is needed for newly promoted managers.

RSS Feed </> Embed