ICW Group

www.icwgroup.com

ICW Group Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Kevin Prior

Great place to work and make a difference.

Information Technology Memmber (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros- Small company, which allows you to put in good process and good ideas into practice;
    - Culture of saying yes to recommendations if you have good ideas or want to make good changes
    - Stable, profitable and in business for 43+ years - that says something!

Cons- hard to get good people to join
    - base pay seems to be average, but bonuses have been getting bigger

Advice to Senior Management- not clear what one of the C-level staff does all day; you know who I mean if you work there

Poor leadership

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsEnjoy my co-workers, but management needs training.

ConsTalk the talk, but do not walk the walk.
    Poor communication due to complicated company poetics and dynamics.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo career path for growth

Great place to build your resume, bad place longterm.

Analyst (Non-IT) (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat exposure, location, and exposure to different technologies.

ConsPay, benefits, and too much politics.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with other departments

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Too many chiefs on high horses!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI met some AMAZING friends through working at ICW. And the happy hours. While I often felt frustrated with KP and DH and where they were taking the company, I was provided with some excellent growth opportunities.

ConsWhere to start? Wayyyy too many managers and not enough people to do the actual work. They pay terribly and expect managers (I was one) to motivate entry level employees to work their behinds off for practically nothing. I put in a lot of time at ICW and was one of the lucky ones to get in on the good side and be given some great chances to move up. If you crossed the wrong person, you might as well pack up and leave because there's no coming back if you aren't liked. Very discouraging environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet over yourselves and start recognizing the talent that you have on staff.

Good place to work and fine tune skills. Perhaps not a place to make a career.

IT Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGood work/life balance, great co-workers, reasonably good pay, intellectually engaging job, can have big impact since it is a small organization. The company is going through a very good period financially while growing in leaps and bounds. There is a lot of work to be done.

ConsPolitics and a top/heavy IT organization (too many managers). Meanwhile there are not enough bodies to get work done and there are no back-ups for critical functions.

Lack of accountability. Some people will be more than happy waiting to be told what to do instead of taking charge of things that need to be done.

HR is unpredictable. Sometimes it seems to be working for the competition. Particularly when you are looking for candidates to hire, HR will have the toughest time finding resumes from qualified candidates. In the event IT finds a good candidate, HR will take its sweet time to extend an offer. We have lost more than a few candidates this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo many managers, especially project managers, and too few people getting actual work done. Get rid of the dead-weight and replace them with skilled people.

Mid size company not big on IT

ProsQuick decisions since it is a small company

ConsCompany almost appears to be not serious about the Business

Some ok people, but the upper management are all back stabbing weasels.

IT Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsIt's a pay check, use it while it lasts.

ConsMassive corporate infighting. Poor leadership from the top to middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the CEO and his little toady, the COO and get some real leaders.

Fairly positive.

ProsThe company provided a car, gas and the autonomy to normally do what was needed and required to perform the function of the job.

ConsThe head of the department tends to micro-manage the consultants

Advice to Senior ManagementHave the faith, trust and respect of those who do the job to allow them to do it.

Good place to learn

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Santa Clarita, CA

ProsGreat place to learn insurance principles.

ConsHigh tolerance for failure.
    Small company with narrow-minded ambitions.
    Unprofessional behaviors are tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild a career path for your employees

After some struggle, ICW Group is on its way to success

Software Development Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsICW Group has plenty of caring and capable employees and first line managers and has built a solid foundation for taking on the harden market coming next few years. Has made significant progress toward establishing policies, processes, and standards in many areas. Outstanding culture and values can be seen in every corner of the company, with great mix of work and life.

ConsIT still falls many years behind on technology and has a long way to go to become a leader in the industry. There is not enough emphasis being given to skill development and talent retention, which may prevent the company to become a great leader. Members of the engineering teams could use some more freedom in choosing the best solutions and technologies to fulfill the business needs, and encouragement in innovation to improve efficiency and ROI. But quite limited in career opportunities due to relatively not so large in size but rather lengthy history of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider to share company profits with its employees such as awarding stocks and offering ESPP.

Worked for ICW Group? Contribute to the Community!