ID Analytics Reviews

Larry McIntosh

Great Company That Is Re-Inventing Itself for the Next Level of Growth

Current Employee - Technology Operations in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Operations in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I am an existing employee here, and I will be celebrating my 2nd year anniversary over the next few months. I am very happy at ID Analytics and in this review, I attempt to share why I am very satisfied here and I plan to continue to work at ID Analytics.

There are many ways to judge, or assess a company and I am going to outline the things that are most important to me, when I made the decision to join ID Analytics and also continue to stay at IDA

First… It always starts and ends with the PEOPLE! I have been impressed that for a small technology company, we have been able to attract so many great and talented people across the different departments and functions. If you love data science, we have some of the smartest scientist who are supervised and trained by Dr. Coggeshall, a powerful force in data analytics. If you want to work in IT, we have a modern production environment while also deploying cutting edge bid data technology. The same goes for the engineering organization, where new tools, approaches and methods for building enterprise software are discussed and implemented.

When we lose people, they are usually taking jobs at much larger technology companies outside of San Diego, such as Amazon, LinkedIn, or ServiceNow, etc. I was a consultant in a past life, which means that I have worked in many companies across multiple industries and I am serious when I say, this company has some of the smartest and talented people in the industry.

Second… One of the reasons that most people leave their jobs is their boss. You’re direct manager can make life great or miserable pretty easily. I have found my manager to be understanding, incredibly supportive and has given me the autonomy to make things happen. No boss is perfect and this is not a utopia, but there are plenty of positives that outweigh the negatives.

I left my last company because I felt that I did not have enough freedom to do things my way, even though I was always happy to be accountable for my actions and projects. UPDATE: In 2015, there is a focus for more people to spend a % of their time on R&D. This applies to engineering, the data scientists, as well as the IT Operations group. A very positive move by the company to demonstrate their focus on innovation and to build the next great services and capabilities for our clients.

Three – Developing your career. Because LifeLock owns ID Analytics, we have access to tools, benefits and systems to help people grow and develop in their career. I have seen lots of promotions of people across the technical and management tracks in my short stint here. So when you add the career support with a great benefits package today, it creates a compelling working environment.

Speaking of work environment…. Where you work counts and can add to the overall experience where you spend most of your waking hours. I want to be at a place that is in touch with current trends and values collaboration and flatter organizational hierarchies. We recently moved to a much more collaborative work environment. Everyone sits in the same type of workstation, even the CEO! While people are still getting used to this new space, it is much more brighter, inviting, and much more modern than the traditional depressing cubes.

I am sticking around this company because I believe with the new leadership team that we have and the great talented people that I work with each day, we have a chance to continue to win in the marketplace while delivering new solutions that solve some very big and complex problems for our clients.

Cons

When I think about some of the challenges, the following are ones that come to mind.

1. I think we could always be moving faster as an organization. I think we need to increase our sense of urgency so that we can continue to stay ahead of the competition. Our size and nimbleness can be a major competitive advantage.

2. We serve some of the largest financial services firms and we deals with "identities", which means that security and availability are serious business for the company and people here have to take it seriously. If badging at every door bothers you and you would like have access to dropbox from your company machine, maybe not the right place for you. Some of the restrictions can be frustrating, especially if you come from a loose work environment, where anything goes.

3. This is a culture that values people working together, face to face. This is not a work-from-home culture, where you can show-up at the office as you please. There is enough flexibility to take care of urgent things, but nobody really works from home as a normal work schedule.

4. As I mentioned above, there are lots of really smart people here, and they don’t suffer fools gladly! There is an expectation that you know what you’re talking about and BS is not tolerated. So this is a culture that requires you approach discussions with humility to get at the best solution rather than coming across as being certain and having all the answers before really understanding the question.

Continue to help the company stay focused on the "critical few" things that will help us win in the short term and beyond 2015. Execution is king. We need to measure that the our projects and areas of focus are executed very well so that we can get the right business outcomes and WIN.

2. Perfect company for people with archaic ways

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I worked at ID Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best and maybe most modern thing about this company is its furniture in the break room and conference rooms.

I'd like to say/think that everyone is nice outside of work or on the surface level.

Lifelock seems to be a great parent company but they do need to clean house of their unruly child and its old ways.

Good medical benefits, 401k match at 6%, ESPP, work life balance programs. Slightly higher than average pay.

Cons

While the company touts many great employee benefits it's not enough to offset its archaic-like work methods, political and disrespectful work culture. I was surprised to find managers often speaking poorly about co-workers/other managers and even the CEO behind their back. Despite being an info sensitive company, you may find info being shared loosely and circulating without confidentiality. Gossip is also a common activity within the office. Managers often take advantage of their scheduled work hours and come in late/leave early regularly but expect direct reports to be in before and after they leave. Oh yeah and almost everyone is a manager.

Last year there was a lot of turnover of people who had been at the company for 5 years or more. There was also a surge of new hires in the last 2 years, mostly managers, whom I think compelled many people to leave. Like others have said, there is an "open door policy," but one that is not welcomed but can also be used against you. Be mindful that some people may speak poorly about you for personal gain.

People Diversity - very limited, mostly older. For a tech company, they have no new talent coming in or seem to have plans to invest in younger labor.

People complain about small things like changing the cubicles. Reminds me of movie moments in Office Space.

Authenticity is a great trait to have as a person but also in the culture you build. Upper management should invest in managers/people that seek to build others up. No matter what kind of experience one may have, someone who is honest, down to earth, ethical and respectful would make your business far more successful than someone who is experienced but uptight and two-faced. Also, people who are just genuinely passionate about what they do can help build the culture within the company. Invest in people and your business will flourish. Investment isn't just monetary but emotional and mental as well.

Great company to work for!

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work environment, emphasis on work-life balance, promotions earned for hard work and dedication, rewarding environment, great company morale, fantastic benefits program, innovation driven company with great potential for future growth, engaging leadership team that focuses on employee satisfaction - an overall wonderful company to be a part of!

Cons

I do not have anything bad to say about this company. I love working here!

Product Analyst

Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has revamped their benefits plan since being acquired by Lifelock and offers some pretty generous incentives on top of salary. The company does 100% matching on 401k up to 6% of ones salary, roth/non-roth 401k offered, and employee stock purchase program (ESPP) offered (15% @ 15% discount).

This company also offers people a unique opportunity to feel like you are actually making a difference with your day to day work. With identity theft becoming a bigger issue every day, this companies goal is to help minimize harm as a result.

Cons

Being a relatively small company working for a larger company can be confusing at time. Communication can occasionally be an issue.

Communicate with direct reports to get a status on how their manager is doing. There are times when it seems questions arise about direct managers that could easily be cleared up with an open dialogue.

6. Great place to work

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time

Pros

People are great to work with and very intelligent in their expertise, speaking only for technology departments. Benefits are great compare to companies of similar size. Management are getting much better since I started working here. The culture in here is great. People are more than welcome to help when needed.

Cons

Technology is still a bit behind. Changes are coming but slow progress.

Awesome place to work in San Diego

Current Employee - Technology Manager in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Technology Manager in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Bonus plan for all employees! Nice upside. Seriously!!!

Culture, Culture, Culture! We have a great entrepreneurial culture and one that actually empowers people to do their best. You will love the people that work here.

One day we were all surprised when each person at the company got a 32GB iPad as a "Thank you." It was such a nice way to recognize the team. This is the type of leaders that we have. They actually take the time to recongize all the employees. It was very cool and people just loved the iPad mini.

One of my managers said it best, “We have the best of both worlds: The awesome benefits of a larger high-growth public company (LOCK) and the great work environment of a smaller business (i.e. little politics, an executive team and a CEO that is approachable, and a place where you feel like you can make a real difference).

Lots of exposure to cutting-edge technology. Both public and private cloud/hosting environments.

Big Data/Analytics company with lots of interesting problems to solve in a fast-growing market. We have a lot of PhDs that work on some pretty mind-bending stuff.

A sharp group of people that come from large high tech environments, who want to have more autonomy and control of their destiny.

You can still have some semblance of a balanced life, which means you will not be forced to make a decision between being a good father/mother or husband/wife and succeeding at your job. The management really gets it that we need to do both. Deliver results for the business AND also deliver on our personal commitments..

Cons

1. Cons – There is a high expectation placed on excellence in everything we do.
    2. In a smaller business, there is a lot more visibility and accountability. This is not place where you can hide! ;)
    3. This company is very much an "in-the-office" culture. Don't expect to work from home regularly. There is lots of flexibility but if you insist that you need to WFH, then this place won't be a good fit.

Continue to work on ways to innovate and increase our value to our clients. We have a lot of great data that we can do so much with it.

Need to invest more in the new and emerging markets.

BTW: Thanks for introducing a bonus plan for ALL employees! It’s great to share the success with everyone who works hard to make the business run and succeed.

World Class Company with Great People

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at IDA for over two years and find it the best place I've ever worked at. The people are amazing, from the technology support staff all the way up to the leadership team. At my old company I had to know who to avoid because some people were never happy. That type of person doesn't exist here. There is an open door policy and anyone can bring any issue or concern up to the team. Do you want to use your own mobile phone at IDA? Bring it an get a monthly check for $100 to cover your service. Do you prefer a Mac or a PC? You get to pick your system. The facilities are being upgraded to compete with the ever evolving bay area climate. From a work ethic perspective, the leadership team keeps it real. No excessive hours, just do your job and meet your commitment. We run an agile development shop so the teams commit to their work, dates don't get pushed down. Product owners may request date but the leadership team respects the scrum teams.

Cons

Until recently we've been slow to adopt new technologies but that's changing big time. A couple of departments seem to be stronger than others and people know which those are but the leadership team has heard that issue, from what I can tell, and is bolstering the other major department. Things still get done most quickly by a couple of old timers and as a previous review said it appears there's some favorites. Fortunately these are minor concerns.

Keep the ship on the current compass heading, great waters lie ahead.

9. Unbelievable camaraderie. Amazing benefits. Great leadership.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Due to the recent hiring of some top notch leadership, ID Analytics has become a hub for technology innovation, collaboration and has transformed its culture. I absolutely love going into work everyday because the people here are courteous, level headed, and really live up to their high standards. Senior leadership has the company on the right track, and having LifeLock as a parent company has proven to be very beneficial for the employees of ID Analytics. The executives and HR teams really listen to the employees' feedback, and morale is higher here than any other place I've ever worked.

Cons

The product's complexity can be daunting at times, however the data scientists do their best to provide training on how the engine really works.

Keep doing what you're doing, you're on the right path with the recent hires you've made, I just hope you do not lose sight of how important a 'small company' mentality is as the company grows and is successful.

10. Cutting edge products combating the complex issue of Identity Fraud!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (more than a year)

Pros

ID Analytics is a company that has continually raised the bar since its inception in 2002. With the LifeLock acquisition, IDA has continually invested in attracting and retaining top talent within the organization. Recently a number of key hires have been brought on-board at the Executive and Director levels, proving the organization is committed to taking things to the next level.

Our products are interesting and provided cutting edge protection against one of the most prevalent dangers facing consumers and corporations, identity fraud. The people are extremely intelligent, the benefits are top notch, and things are looking up!

Cons

The ID Analytics products are very complex and the regulations facing the organization are ever changing. It can be difficult to fully understand the intricacies of the company out of the gate, because the industry is so unique.

Great people and innovative products!

I have been working at ID Analytics full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very intelligent and hard working coworkers.
    Benefits are very generous - 6% company match on 401(k)!
    The company strives to be the best at what it produces and the leadership team is in clear support of that strategy.

Cons

Very "lean" organization - you often have to do several different jobs as part of your job.