ID.me Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.1
Blake Hall

1. Start up company with a bright future!

I have been working at ID.me

Pros

As with any start up company, ID.me has a very fast pace environment. But it doesn't stop us from having a blast at work too! We wear different hats, we jump in and help out in other departments, we have fun and we make things happen. I enjoy the environment and the people I work with. A group of very talented, smart and funny people, like someone else pointed out in another review.
    I have 2 small kids and having the flexibility at work is so valuable to me. I have worked from home when I needed to take care of my children. Management is very flexible and understanding when it comes to family. It's a young office and several of us have little ones at home.

Cons

As with any company, small or large, communication is always an area where we can improve.

Advice to Management

Continue to work on the culture of the office. We are still small and we are still finding our way. The "no jerks allowed" policy works!

Don't walk- run from this place

I worked at ID.me full-time

Pros

The team of employees I worked with were incredible- smart, dedicated, driven, funny, experts in their field. The core product, identity verification, was a really fabulous thing to stumble into.

Cons

The CEO- just impossible to work with. Total micro-manager and narcissist, has to have the last say on everything. Literally, everything. He's an expert on all the things- from statistics to copywriting to marketing to foreign policy. Has micro-managed some really incredible people with unimpeachable backgrounds in their field out the door.

Expect to work weekends, holidays, and get calls at 11pm on Friday nights over things that are not urgent at all, except in Blake's mind. The constant shifts in strategy and direction are exhausting. Be especially careful if you are a younger woman, you may be expected to manage things like keeping the kitchen clean and making runs to Costco, in addition to your role as a designer or engineer.

They also managed their money so poorly that they had to lay off a significant percentage of staff last month, even though they had just built out and moved into fancy new offices.

Advice to Management

Find a new CEO.

ID.me Response

Jun 25, 2015HR

Thank you for taking the time to review our company. I completely agree with you about our team of employees. We are very fortunate to have such an amazing group of people throughout the ... More

Very disappointed

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at ID.me full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ID.me started as TroopSwap and had a fantastic idea to provide benefits for Veterans and Active duty military. No one else was doing it as well as they did and I felt like we were doing something meaningful.

Cons

Where do I start? If you aren't in the office, you aren't working in the mind of management. Job first, family second or third. I have a special needs son and had to take time off to take him to medical appointments. Blake made it clear that they hired me to work for the company, not look after my family. I told him my family would always come first and I knew my days were numbered. There is only one way to do things and that is Blake's way. No room for input from seasoned employees. Most people work in fear of being let go. Take your life in your own hands and find another job quickly.

Advice to Management

Go back to the original idea of providing benefits to a select group: Veterans, First Responders and Teachers. Don't try to be everything to everyone. It never works. Look after your employees. Replace the CEO with someone who actually knows how to run a business.

ID.me Response

Jun 25, 2015HR

Yes, we are all hired to work for the company. It's the same for any company. But, as an employee of the company, you do have the flexibility to arrange hours/days if needed. I can only assume the ... More

It was a great job while it lasted.

Former Employee - Android Developer
    Former Employee - Android Developer

I worked at ID.me full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I grew a lot as a Software Developer, I really enjoyed the work that I did, and I was pushed to to do things in a way that improved myself. I enjoyed the people and taking time off was never an issue.

Cons

Work-life balance is a little non existent, many people work round the clock and there is a bad burn out within the company. The company also lacks focus, they know where they want to be but will take 50 detours to arrive and then they have way to many "focuses" to succeed in any one thing. Due to this my position was eliminated after I did a lot of personal sacrifice to relocate for the position.

Advice to Management

Remember your employees have lives, we aren't just numbers in a spread sheet. Don't make hasty decisions to save a couple of bucks.

Incredible Potential with Some Growing Pains

I have been working at ID.me full-time

Pros

The potential for this company is incredible; daily work on disrupting countless markets. Just incredible to be a part of something so great. The company has built a strong culture around supporting veterans and military.

Cons

The company is growing quickly and this has resulted in some communication issues at times.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining talent. Retain the talent and they will sort out the organizational problems.

Can't recommend it

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at ID.me full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Competitive salary and nice coworkers. If you like to work around the clock and not have a personal life, this might be the job for you.

Cons

As someone else here said, just not enough hours in the day. Just try to tell them that there's not enough time and you'll be shut down. Be prepared to work nights, weekends and holidays with no thanks or appreciation. It's a good salary but when you look at how many hours they expect...not so great.
    Also, poor management, no training, hectic, chaotic, simple projects take twice as long as they should due to a lack of process. Worst startup I've ever worked at.

Advice to Management

Listen to and respect your employees. Stop expecting the impossible. When an employee comes to you with a suggestion or issue, LISTEN. Be honest in your interviews and tell candidates what the hours will be. Take time to talk to current employees and make sure they have the resources they need to get the job done.

Purpose-driven mission in a demanding environment with incredibly smart and passionate team members

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Real-world mission with purpose. Smart, loyal, driven, hard working team mates. Casual work environment with extremely flexible working hours. Those who demonstrate a strong work ethic, initiative and don't make excuses are appropriately compensated both in terms of pay and autonomy.

Cons

I witnessed the early stages of the company firsthand, which was difficult and chaotic resulting in high employee turnover, particularly amongst the outside sales team. This is often the case with any early stage sales company but is especially true in a fast growing tech startup with a huge opportunity in front of it. However, since refining the business model and focusing on the internal team, everyone is focused and works very well together. There are still times when things are demanding and stressful but that's part of the fun and exciting aspect of working for a high-growth startup and hopefully there will be an interesting story to tell in the end. If you want a predictable 9-5 job with no stress, I'm sure there is a boring government for you somewhere.

Advice to Management

Hater gonna hate, keep driving on.

In seriousness, continue to keep a strong focus on building the team around the culture and values we want to be a part of, especially as the size of the team grows.

A lot of excitment and vision.

Former Employee - Director of Community Outreach in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Director of Community Outreach in McLean, VA

I worked at ID.me part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Young guys who had a lot of excitment and great ideas. Loved to motivate. Were flexible and wanted to accomodate military spouse schedules and they were up on all tech advances to help employees stay up to date on what was going on day to day.

Cons

Start-up environments are tough so there just weren't enough hours to go around and the ever changing visions were a little exhausting. Overall was an interesting experience.

Advice to Management

Listen, learn, respect your people always.

A company that company that delivers what they promise

Current Employee - Director of Information Security and Privacy in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Information Security and Privacy in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Security. TroopSwap uses bank grade encryption to protect veterans personally identifiable information to reduce the risk of identity theft and information misuse. - Value. No other company can match the quality of the deals that TroopSwap offers to veterans and active duty service members. -Integrity. TroopSwap was built by veterans, and for veterans. Many of the current employees have served on active duty and understand the concept of "service to the nation."

Cons

There really are no "cons" associated with TroopSwap.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing. You have a vision, and the will to make it a reality. Anyone who has ever worn a uniform will be better for what you are doing.

High Energy Startup Making Serious Traction.

Current Employee - V P in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - V P in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working with extremely intelligent, hard working and fun loving people towards a common goal. This is a startup that is making all the right moves time and again. The commitment to building amazing B2B and B2C products the same time is not one that should be underestimated in terms of level of difficulty and we are doing both amazingly well. Team comes from a variety of diverse backgrounds which lends to a collaborative environment where diversity of opinion is valued.

Cons

Startups require a significant level of intensity and commitment which is not for everyone. Its not a con but something that someone considering employment here should be eyes-wide-open about.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you are doing. The path is paved for tremendous success.

RSS Feed </> Embed