ID.me Reviews

Updated August 1, 2014
Updated August 1, 2014
3.2

Blake Hall

Purpose-driven mission in a demanding environment with incredibly smart and passionate team members

Current Employee - Vice President of Operations  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Operations in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Real-world mission with purpose. Smart, loyal, driven, hard working team mates. Casual work environment with extremely flexible working hours. Those who demonstrate a strong work ethic, initiative and don't make excuses are appropriately compensated both in terms of pay and autonomy.

Cons

I witnessed the early stages of the company firsthand, which was difficult and chaotic resulting in high employee turnover, particularly amongst the outside sales team. This is often the case with any early stage sales company but is especially true in a fast growing tech startup with a huge opportunity in front of it. However, since refining the business model and focusing on the internal team, everyone is focused and works very well together. There are still times when things are demanding and stressful but that's part of the fun and exciting aspect of working for a high-growth startup and hopefully there will be an interesting story to tell in the end. If you want a predictable 9-5 job with no stress, I'm sure there is a boring government for you somewhere.

Hater gonna hate, keep driving on.

In seriousness, continue to keep a strong focus on building the team around the culture and values we want to be a part of, especially as the size of the team grows.

A lot of excitment and vision.

Former Employee - Director of Community Outreach  in  McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Director of Community Outreach in McLean, VA

I worked at ID.me part-time for less than a year

Pros

Young guys who had a lot of excitment and great ideas. Loved to motivate. Were flexible and wanted to accomodate military spouse schedules and they were up on all tech advances to help employees stay up to date on what was going on day to day.

Cons

Start-up environments are tough so there just weren't enough hours to go around and the ever changing visions were a little exhausting. Overall was an interesting experience.

Listen, learn, respect your people always.

A company that company that delivers what they promise

Current Employee - Director of Information Security and Privacy  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Information Security and Privacy in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Security. TroopSwap uses bank grade encryption to protect veterans personally identifiable information to reduce the risk of identity theft and information misuse. - Value. No other company can match the quality of the deals that TroopSwap offers to veterans and active duty service members. -Integrity. TroopSwap was built by veterans, and for veterans. Many of the current employees have served on active duty and understand the concept of "service to the nation."

Cons

There really are no "cons" associated with TroopSwap.

Keep up what you are doing. You have a vision, and the will to make it a reality. Anyone who has ever worn a uniform will be better for what you are doing.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fantastic Opportunity for Growth

Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Mobile Developer in Washington, DC

I have been working at ID.me full-time for less than a year

Pros

I am an iOS developer by trade. Being TroopSwap's / ID.me's first and only mobile developer, I've been tasked with developing a plethora of iOS apps and SDKs. On top of that, the amount of interest we've had in our platform has lead me into picking up the Android platform which will soon be followed by the Windows Mobile platform. I have tons of work, and I love it, as I'm learning new things on the job all the time. Never a dull moment!

Aside from software development, Blake has also graciously involved me in many of ID.me's business meetings. This wasn't in the job description when I signed on, but I like being able to come up for air after programming all day and work on my business acumen.

Other pros:
    - Full expenses trip to Apple's WWDC conference
    - Top of the line equipment (Retina MBP, 27" monitors, test devices, subscriptions to tutorial/advancement websites)
    - Flexible work hours
    - Flexibile vacation policy
    - Generous compensation (salary, benefits package and equity plan)

Most of all, there's huge opportunity for growth! As I mentioned, we have a lot of interest (and follow through), and this helps fuel my drive and my co-workers drive to build the best platform we can.

Cons

I like working, a lot. As there's a lot to do, I take my work home with me. Some people may find this to be a con, I don't, as I love what I'm doing.

N/A

High Energy Startup Making Serious Traction.

Current Employee - V P  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - V P in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time for more than a year

Pros

Love working with extremely intelligent, hard working and fun loving people towards a common goal. This is a startup that is making all the right moves time and again. The commitment to building amazing B2B and B2C products the same time is not one that should be underestimated in terms of level of difficulty and we are doing both amazingly well. Team comes from a variety of diverse backgrounds which lends to a collaborative environment where diversity of opinion is valued.

Cons

Startups require a significant level of intensity and commitment which is not for everyone. Its not a con but something that someone considering employment here should be eyes-wide-open about.

Keep on doing what you are doing. The path is paved for tremendous success.

Mission Driven Company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Powerful Social Mission
    Opportunity to Create Positive Change
    Creativity is encouraged
    New Challenges Every Day
    Positive Teammates
    Control Over Workflow

Cons

Late nights, get ready for "startup" environment
    High Stress
    Wearing different hats

Fast-pace, tight-knit company with an unprecedented social mission

Current Employee - National Sales Manager  in  Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Incredibly flexible Outside Sales role that fits the military spouse lifestyle.
    -Portable career--> the possibilities for working remotely are essentially endless. In how many jobs could you actually tell your Manager that you are going down to 25 hours for any given week before your husband deploys, or while you get your kids ready to go back to school? Not very many.
    -Avenues for multi-directional feedback made readily available to all employees.
    -State-of-the-art CRM operating systems are in place to help streamline organization and efficiency within all levels of the organization. The company invested in these systems, despite being a small startup, to make sure we have industry-standard tools and equip our representatives appropriately.
    -Opportunity to be public-facing with military friendly merchants in the community. This is my favorite part of the job. We have the opportunity to build relationships and introduce our favorite businesses, brands and destinations to a niche and underserved audience.
    -Working on a cohesive team of military spouses who all have walked in your shoes, soldiered through deployments, endured PCS moves, etc. The friendships and deep-rooted bonds that the team members have is unlike anything I have ever experienced.

Cons

-Communication is an area that can always improve, but I would argue that this "con" could be said about any company, whether a small startup such as ours or a Fortune 500 organization. The lack of communication on certain issues or advancements is never intentional, but rather because we are all moving so fast in an effort to accomplish our mission of making military life better.
    -More dimension to the company hierarchy, but this will inevitably come with time as we continue to grow. Departments such as Marketing, Public Relations, etc. could be great opportunities for military spouses to be able to envision upward mobility at the company.

Thank you for giving me and so many others the opportunity to work towards a cause bigger than ourselves. We are grateful for the opportunity to reward a life of service. Through the ups and the downs, I consider myself incredibly fortunate to have the job that I do and work with the talented and selfless individuals that comprise our organization, from the ground up.

Hard Working Start-Up with Positive Social Mission

Current Employee - Director of Marketing/Head Copywriter  in  Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Director of Marketing/Head Copywriter in Washington, DC

I have been working at ID.me full-time for more than a year

Pros

• Great social mission: TroopSwap is excited about helping military families and providing them with quality offers. I like that!
    • Your voice gets heard: I really love the open door policy at TS. I was hired literally at one of the lowest entry level positions and from day 1 of my employment, I felt like I had a voice in the company. The CEO Blake Hall and co-founder Matt Thompson are incredibly open and receptive (hard to find in today's workplace).
    • I love that they care about the WORK: they don't care if you have on a suit, or great heels, or if you're in a tee shirt and flip flops: what matters is the work. I LOVE THAT because at work, I want to be judged on my work, and nothing else.

Cons

Being a start up, the hours are incredibly long. But that is an unavoidable part of working at a start up! You are expected to be available on weekends, long nights etc, but it's also really rewarding to see the work you're doing during that time actually matters.

Having good communication throughout the company is key so all parties are on the same page. Keep judging people on their merit and the quality of their work!

Constantly negated and not supported by upper management in my efforts to make TroopSwap successful.

Current Employee - Director of Community Outreach  in  Hampton, VA
    Current Employee - Director of Community Outreach in Hampton, VA

I have been working at ID.me full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working from home, working on your own schedule. Networking and promoting an appreciation and awareness of the military lifestyle to the public.

Cons

Everybody feels the stress from upper management because they take it out on the directors. It's apparent the company is failing due to the discord. Snarky comments and contempt are felt on a weekly basis.

Promote from within and offer more support to the back bone of the company, the Directors. Honor your original values and protect those who work for you, the military spouses. Stop micromanaging.

Investors and employees beware!!!!

Current Employee - Director of Community Outreach
    Current Employee - Director of Community Outreach

I have been working at ID.me full-time for less than a year

Pros

Hire competent, skilled employees who believe in helping the military community.

Cons

Company changes focus on a weekly/daily basis. CEO is focused on raising capital and not running a business. Company mission changes at CEO's whim. Investors' money spent on unnecessary trips and giant bean bags and toys for the office. Weekly teleconferences are an opportunity for the CEO to rant about the failings of the organization and not take any responsibility. Low level employees are the scapegoat for a failed business plan and poor execution by senior management.

CEO needs to step aside and let management try to save a sinking ship. Board needs to be better informed on day to day operations in order to minimize losses.

Worked for ID.me? Contribute to the Community!