IDEO

Tim Brown

Its just OKAY!

Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pros and cons largely depend on what office you are in since each office has its own sub culture.

Challenging design problems
Extremely talented and smart people
Everyone is super nice
Lots of opportunities to get into things outside of project work
Creative culture is encouraged
Lots of free food
Flexible time off

ConsLow pay and low raises compared to companies of similar stature
Cult-ish--there is an IDEO way and if you don't conform you will struggle
Boys club--leadership is largely men and boyish cliques inside of the organization excel faster than women
Internal processes such as career navigation change ever year and is hard to understand
Useless reviews annually that are a complete waste of time
There is a such thing as too friendly. You will be penalized for not being buddy-buddy and forming "friendships" with coworkers outside of work.

Advice to Senior ManagementSometimes having rules is a GOOD thing.
Get more female leadership.

Hot, Flat and Mercurial

I have been working at IDEO

ProsFlat organization with tremendous opportunities to follow your passions.

ConsFlip side of coin is not all passion projects gain traction as momentum can be ephemeral as new projects ebb and flow.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investment in creating better and better tools to support culture, learning and internal innovations.

The most amazing place I've ever had the privilege of working

Interaction Designer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing projects, people and environment to really push yourself out of your comfort zone and grow.

ConsFor the amount of time, effort and commitment involved, you get paid peanuts. Also, while most people there are friendly and dedicated, with big talent often come some of the awfully big egos, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make employees feel like they belong, are acknowledged and appreciated more often.

Amazing work, crazy talent, cultish, highly emotional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at IDEO full-time for more than a year

ProsEntrepreneurial and allows designers to do anything they put their minds to, support designers like gods, constant stimulation and inspiration, culture is kool-aid, some of the most talented people I've ever met, have the luxury to think about very large ideas and because of the brand get to make clients work to work with them.

ConsThere are tenets that they live by and if you aren't perceived to be in line with such you are told to change your personality, highly emotional place that places more emphasis on how well you are liked than your performance, zero systems or processes which makes it a very messy place to work and noone knows what's going on, it's a company that is so high on themselves that they constantly have to internally tell each other to be humble.

Advice to Senior ManagementLive by the tenets you evangelize, step up to the plate and be adults, recognize people for their talents and hard work rather than your favorites, create more female leadership, put equal emphasis on designers and support.

Oh IDEO -- keep happy face and consultancy reality

Industrial Designer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at IDEO full-time

ProsTons of healthy beautiful foods, people who's most talented and various background from all over the world, beautiful open space both in SF and PA, lots of events to get inspired, mostly 9-5pm work time (designers exception depends on project)

ConsCommuting required between SF-PA, No personal space, NEED TO keep your happy attitude and can't be too honest otherwise you will be red-flagged, consultancy reality that you have to follow money first and keep the creative quality within the time range which is very limited, NOT a design company but a consultancy, low creative level pursuance, multi-tasking requirement other than work itself to dedicate community, lots of "new" organizational changes that confuses employer but need to follow with happy face, you aren't expected to be special at all, you are expected to be normal to follow what they told you

The top design agency in the world

Project Leader (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat work life balance. Good health care. Great benefits.

ConsDon't always pay the most but are pretty generous

Great place to grow and develop

Designer (Former Employee)

I worked at IDEO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWas able to work on various projects with IDEO's top tier clients

ConsCan't compete with other companies in terms of salary so they've been losing talent since everyone comes to recruit IDEOers.

Working alongside passionate, intelligent, interesting, and people you'd want to go out for a beer with is pretty nice.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IDEO as an intern for less than a year

ProsWhen the company says they care about your growth, they really mean it. I was placed into the projects I wanted to work on and cared about.

ConsThe structure of the company is very open, so that might take some time to get used to for some people. I personally experienced and think that people who are more proud and stubborn tend to dislike the company and leave fast.

good go to live it

Designer (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at IDEO part-time for more than a year

Prosbe creative enjoyed the planet

Constoo many people to prosper

Advice to Senior Managementjoin the fun

An amazing environment

Interaction Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than a year

ProsIDEOers are very talented and being new to the company you'll learn from one another everyday. It feels like a family. The projects are amazing and the environment as well.

ConsOften designers want to build stuff. This is hard to achieve in a consultancy business.

Worked for IDEO? Contribute to the Community!

IDEO – Why Work for Us?

We strive to be an extraordinary and sustainable workplace for world-class professionals. We’ve applied the human-centered design process to our own organizational structure and processes, and we continually fine-tune… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IDEO reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IDEO CEO Tim Brown. All 45 reviews posted anonymously by IDEO employees.