IDEO

Tim Brown

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Magical

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIDEO is like the family I never had. People here genuinely care about each other and help you succeed. I've never worked with such a diverse group of people who think about things in different ways and yet, come together to get the best out of themselves and their teams. Everything is "we" focused instead of "I" focused and that allows for a freedom to express your thoughts and ideas without this fear that you will be seen as wrong or stupid. The idea is that everyone works together so your ideas are valuable because we build off of each other. There isn't a "lone" genius mentality - everyone is important and everyone contributes.

ConsThere are places that pay more, but having worked at some of those places, I can say that their culture wasn't nearly as rich. I'd much rather have a culture I enjoy and great people than more money. They definitely pay a livable wage, it's just not outrageous like some of the other place in Palo Alto/the Bay Area.

Cool company... but con's are starting to outweigh the pro's

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCool people to work with, cool technology and pretty free and open culture.

ConsVERY click'ish, almost cult'ish. If you are not in the "in" crowd you will not advance. Senior leadership is very detached from what really happens with the employees, partners that gossip rather than lead. If you are not a designer (e.g. support), you are second class.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in your support team, they deserve it. Lead more, talk less.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

The most amazing place I've ever had the privilege of working

Interaction Designer II (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than a year

ProsAmazing projects, people and environment to really push yourself out of your comfort zone and grow.

ConsFor the amount of time, effort and commitment involved, you get paid peanuts. Also, while most people there are friendly and dedicated, with big talent often come some of the awfully big egos, too.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease make employees feel like they belong, are acknowledged and appreciated more often.

Oh IDEO -- keep happy face and consultancy reality

Industrial Designer (Current Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at IDEO full-time

ProsTons of healthy beautiful foods, people who's most talented and various background from all over the world, beautiful open space both in SF and PA, lots of events to get inspired, mostly 9-5pm work time (designers exception depends on project)

ConsCommuting required between SF-PA, No personal space, NEED TO keep your happy attitude and can't be too honest otherwise you will be red-flagged, consultancy reality that you have to follow money first and keep the creative quality within the time range which is very limited, NOT a design company but a consultancy, low creative level pursuance, multi-tasking requirement other than work itself to dedicate community, lots of "new" organizational changes that confuses employer but need to follow with happy face, you aren't expected to be special at all, you are expected to be normal to follow what they told you

good go to live it

Designer (Former Employee)
Palo Alto, CA

I worked at IDEO part-time for more than a year

Prosbe creative enjoyed the planet

Constoo many people to prosper

Advice to Senior Managementjoin the fun

An amazing environment

Interaction Designer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEO full-time for more than a year

ProsIDEOers are very talented and being new to the company you'll learn from one another everyday. It feels like a family. The projects are amazing and the environment as well.

ConsOften designers want to build stuff. This is hard to achieve in a consultancy business.

A great place to do diverse, world-leading design with great people.

Design Engineer/Project Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEO

ProsIDEO has amazing staff, connections and clients. The range of consulting projects is truly mind-boggling. From highly detailed mechanical engineering innovations for the healthcare industry to brand-strategy, government work, consumer electronics, campaigns, web experiences, food and beverage, startup incubation, non-profit work, the list goes on. Employees are highly capable and motivated and come from a wide range of design disciplines. IDEO takes quality of life seriously and goes out of its way to make a good working environment for staff and support them in their personal and extra-curricular endeavors. It's a great place to get a lot of design experience under your belt. Newly generous vacation policy is nice too.

ConsSince the work is project based, your whole experience depends on your client and your project leader. If a project is over-scoped you might end up working some intense hours. Monetary compensation leaves something to be desired. Being a very flat hierarchy there aren't many opportunities to advance into mid-level management roles so it's a common pattern for people to spend several years as a designer at IDEO and then head to another company for a more senior role.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncreased transparency with senior management decisions. Continue working to get the compensation level in-line with local markets.

Great foundation for a career

I have been working at IDEO

ProsFun, young culture that has lots of perks.

ConsSupport staff is usually overworked and underpaid.

Great for building a strong career foundation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IDEO

ProsGreat projects, some of the meatiest design challenges around!
Smart co-workers.
Good culture.
Great alumni network.

ConsMinimal opportunity for career advancement into senior ranks.
A bit "cult-ish".
Some senior leaders in prominent positions are very bad at managing people.

Fun place for awhile but not career material

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IDEO

Pros-Challenging projects and interesting work
-Diversity of work is great
-Passionate team members
-Flexible work environment
-Supportive of work/life balance

Cons-There is very little accountability therefore dead weight gets kept on review after review
-Adverse to spending money on tools that would allow teams to be more successful and efficient
-It is very political and management is, often time, adverse to hearing truths or standing up for people (very little advocacy or mentorship though it is something that is touted in the organization).
-Non-design staff is not valued or advanced
-Rarely get raises – not even a yearly cost of living increase and salary is very low comparatively speaking

Advice to Senior Management-Senior management should work harder at managing its existing talent and retain quality people: integrate more mentorship, higher salaries, transparency about how to grow or what is needed to advance.
-It would also be great to see some cross-training happening so people are more agile and can eventually grow into other roles.
-It is paramount for IDEO to invest in better tools outside of IT needs. The quality of their work is suffering because people are working with archaic tools.

Worked for IDEO? Contribute to the Community!

IDEO – Why Work for Us?

We strive to be an extraordinary and sustainable workplace for world-class professionals. We’ve applied the human-centered design process to our own organizational structure and processes, and we continually fine-tune… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IDEO reviews and ratings in Palo Alto, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IDEO CEO Tim Brown. All 11 reviews posted anonymously by IDEO employees.