IDEX

IDEX Chairman and CEO Andrew K. Silvernail

Andrew K. Silvernail

Update. Still No Union Here

I have been working at IDEX

ProsChanging philosophy from Management Team headed by a new GM. State of moral is looking brighter! New positioned Management Team are now headed by people with people skills who are honest!

ConsSame benefits from last review. Unfortunately health premiums have gone up almost 50%. Thanks Obama! Still Blue Cross Blue Shield for now!

Advice to Senior ManagementDirect supportive Production Leads whom report to the new People Friendly Managers need to learn how to talk to Production Team. Lets keep the moral looking brighter by managing people with kindness and a firm hand not.

Great guiding principles, not yet embraced by units

Department Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at IDEX full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgreat ceo, vision and clear guiding principles. small enough to be recognized for your individual contributions and rewarded for them. Excellent pay for the area.

Consindividual unit leadership allowed to have its own agenda, all about the numbers, not about people. Too much focus on the negative and using that as a tool to motivate better performance, not a balanced scorecard. no work-life balance, squeezing too much on middle managers.

iDEX

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IDEX full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood benefits provided and pretty good people to work with. Many business units worldwide if you want to travel a lot

ConsAlways cost cutting which usually means labor cuts. Constantly under pressure of layoffs every month

No Union Here

Middleboro, MA

I have been working at IDEX full-time

ProsMatching 401K Plan. Company Retirement Plan where moneys are invested into the stock market (vested after 3 years). No forced OT. Insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield. Decent rages. Manufacturing floor has AC. Small gym with showers.

ConsTypical Upper Management issues: they know nothing about production work on the floor and are influenced by Mid management telling them what is the right way. Lean manufacturing leads who are former machinists not operating machines but going to meetings and doing paperwork for the Mid management personal that should be performing their duties. when I first started in this business a (Lead Man) was a top tier Machinist that was able to trouble shoot in order to keep production going.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your leads back to performing production work and force your Mid Management to work a little harder and more on hand instead of passing the buck.

Fast growing start-up bought and then crushed by mismanagement and bloated overhead

Boulder, CO

I have been working at IDEX full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe health insurance package is one of the best outside of Union Labor.

ConsNo promotion opportunities - all top level spots filled by outsiders
Meetings take up most productive time
Poor morale company wide
Family atmosphere previously there now absent
Management by hypocritical edict and fear

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore being bought we never had to call for sales. Our reputation was such that we had more work than we could handle by being the best at what we did. Now we have a sales team that hunts for customers and we still miss quota after quota. The first problem was driving away over a 100 years of technical experience with heavy-handed-fear-based management leaving the company with diminished capacity to actually make product. To add insult to injury, some of these critical positions were left unfilled and the work piled even higher onto less experienced employees. The obvious result was diminished quality and severe damage to our reputation.

The next problem was saddling the company with expensive overhead and their attendant lackeys while adding no value to actual operational performance. If anything, the excessive meetings and extraneous data collection to feed this overhead cripples the remaining workers productivity.

If this company wants to succeed, there needs to be a focus on returning to excellence. You cannot sit inside your office and make edicts and expect things to change. More meetings or hiring outside consultants will not help this company come out of a rut. There needs to be leadership shown from the top by coming down into the trenches and figuring out how the processes works and how we made money before being bought. Only by learning what made us successful before the purchase, will you be able to capitalize on our unique blend of skills and capabilities. There is no routine, everything is change. I know you want to setup fixed processes, and have accurate models five years out. That way leads to commoditization and third world companies eating our lunch. We should take pride that we are the only ones in the world these high demand clients can comes to.

Take no for an answer. Sometimes things are not physically possible to accomplish. I don't care what your sales person promised a customer or if this quarters numbers will be too low. We have to do things correctly and with proper procedures. To do anything else actually causes more delayed shipments, stressed out employees, and unhappy customers.

Excessive meetings every day have to stop. If an employee is in meetings more than 25% of their day, there needs to be something done. There obviously needs to be communication, but if it cant be said in two hours, then it probably isn't relevant for the day's tasks.

We are not a manufacturing line. You can't just slot people into positions without training and expect miracles to happen. Our main draw for customers is excellence. If your employees are not trained properly, how are you going to achieve excellence? Unfortunately, our most experienced people are almost all gone, but take the time to codify and integrate the remaining experience into manuals and training programs for employees.

Listen to your experienced employees. Several "low level"(aka no college degree but 10-20 years experience) correctly troubleshot problems with process flow that were not rectified until over a year later. They were told that data had to be collected before actions could be taken and this choked out our internal supply chain for the entire period.

Growing company with a strategy that is not quite fully formulated

Marketing (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at IDEX full-time for less than a year

Pros$2B corporation with small company feel
In growth markets
Little policy or restrictions in what to try
Corporate structure is lean
Aggressive management and growth plans

ConsMany reorgs
Unclear strategy for individual business units

Advice to Senior ManagementLay out crisp strategy for the platforms

dollar driven...at all cost

Middleboro, MA

I have been working at IDEX

Prosco-workers are caring. compensation was reasonable.

Consno advancement. no recognition. your work is never good enough. no management communications or expectations

A wealth of knowledge and experience, but there is a lack of communication

Rohnert Park, CA

I have been working at IDEX

ProsWorking at IDEX Health & Science has been a great experience. The people, the knowledge, and the technology has been very good, and the spirit and attitude that most of employees have is great. Most everyone's attitude is great.

ConsThe communication breakdown is difficult to deal with both between departments and management. The tribal knowledge is a bit strenuous but it is getting better. Dealing with management as far as bettering one's self, is tough!

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication for employees in regards to planning of yearly goals. Improve incentive/rewards for employees. Improve communication and duties between departments, to give a better understanding of how departments work together and what the end results should or could be.

Burnout Central

Human Resources (Former Employee)
Wheeling, IL

I worked at IDEX

ProsSuperior benefits and acceptable pay structure.

ConsUnfair decision making processes of upper management. Too much focus on the quarterly shareholder numbers and not enough on what you are doing to the business. Too little interest in investing in people or ideas - too much emphasis on the immediate versus long-term strategy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet out and let someone who cares about the business manage instead of someone who is only engaged with their own careers.

changes all the time. Unstable and short term view

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IDEX full-time

Prosgood pay, freedom and empowerment

ConsUnstable and short term view

Worked for IDEX? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IDEX reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IDEX CEO Andrew K. Silvernail. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by IDEX employees.