IDEX Reviews

Andrew K. Silvernail

1. US Sales Manager

Former Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Toledo, OH
    Former Employee - Director of Sales and Marketing in Toledo, OH

I worked at IDEX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They invest into tools to help there people be successful.

Cons

Executive level management teams of each P&L do not put in the time to understand the usefulness of the tools.

Advice to Management

Be more customer focused truly understand you would not exist without them.

2. IDEX

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

Financially healthy company. Good place to be a middle manager or below, as you can have a long run with a financially stable company with good benefits.

Cons

If you aspire to move up, make sure you don't overstay your welcome. Keep moving around. They talk about a culture of people, but don't walk the talk 100%.

3. Poor Leadership in the Organization

Former Employee - Supply Chain & Operation Manager in Punta Gorda, FL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain & Operation Manager in Punta Gorda, FL

I worked at IDEX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a profitable company with a decentralized business model. If you can be ok with not working in a high performance team then this is a company you will want to work with and retire

Cons

Poor leadership, prioritizes friendliness over business. Afraid of taking action and making changes. Deals with poor performers by promoting them to a safe place and leaving the rest of the team to carry the extra load of those decisions on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of taking action. Listen to the team that knows the details and make a decision, don't be afraid of change

5. IDEX - Trebor (Utah)

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at IDEX full-time

Pros

Great people! Decentralized model allows business to grow and evolve without being prescriptive. Utah is know for developing talent and IDEX has promoted from this location on a regular basis. This has created a career path for employees willing to put in the extra effort (opportunity is what you make it). The majority of employees want to win as a team!

Cons

Location has big swings in demand, and some fear for their job when sales slow down. Management turn-over has slowed momentum and progress.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to grow while creating improved stability (less management changes in short time frames).

Failure to manage complexity and assets well.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

The company is relatively stable.
    Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Little or no team-building.
    Lacks innovation.
    Poor leadership and heavy middle management.
    Professional development is left as your own responsibility.
    Very little diversity.
    No "community" feel.
    Executives make decisions and attempt to implement processes that make daily life more time-consuming.
    Extremely under-staffed at the base level.
    Talent is not retained.
    Company values are understated, if stated at all.

Just a job - Trebor International

I worked at IDEX

Pros

An opportunity to gain a lot of very valuable experience with only a limited experience going into it.

Often a worthwhile stepping-stone

Cons

Those in Management are there because they've been noticed for doing good work in their respective departments.

However, often they're really not cut out for dealing with people. Last year we had like 33% turnover. This is not a call center, it's a 35 year-old international company with $15 million of revenue a year, and most of those employees were actively contributing, value-added employees that simply got sick of being used and abused. Their reward for taking the initiative to take on more and more tasks beyond what's expected of them and personal development - thus offering more and more to Trebor in terms of productivity and proficiency, is to ask more and more of them, treat them like stupid belligerent pawns, and refuse to recognize dramatically improved contribution with any level of compensation increase aside from a 3% annual merit-based raise that really only keeps up with inflation. This is a cycle I saw take place independently, time and again in the lives of many great employees who got sick of it and found employment elsewhere often doing their boss's job, making far better money in a compelling, fun environment.

The only people here not looking for another job here are those in places where they don't feel they would be able to make as much or do work as meaningful somewhere else, due to their policy of hiring those with limited applicable experience in order to justify paying them less...

As mentioned in the title of this review, working here for everyone from the bottom up is JUST a JOB. To make money. To gain good experience. And to jump ship as soon as reasonably possible - which a third of the company does each year.

When I was brought into my boss's office to receive the explanation that they'd decided it's become a definite business need to fundamentally change the nature of my position - to the point that I would no longer be suitable to fill it - the only word I could use to describe how I felt was RELIEF. I had already been looking elsewhere, only wanted to stick around until what happened to be that precise time, and I wouldn't have rated two weeks' severance had I quit.

On a personal note, one of my biggest takeaways from this job is to get promises regarding compensation in writing. I received a verbal promise during the process of hiring me as a temp that, upon being hired permanent, I would be eligible for the pay being sent to the temp company during that time. I was later treated like a criminal for even bringing it up when it became clear that they had obviously completely forgotten.

Advice to Management

This advice would be to IDEX Corporate - observe how management candidates work with people before promoting them to upper-level management positions. There is a huge disconnect here between upper-level management (not including those in Sales; I don't know enough to comment there) here and employees, with the sole exception of Brian Bowers. Were it not for him giving the remaining value-added employees a reason to say, I think it's safe to say that Trebor would be headed downhill fast.

Managers need to have a genuinely amiable relationship with their employees. Most of what I've seen here has demonstrated an extremely bipolar style of management. When everything's gravy and they think you're doing your job well (but really, 98% of the time, they have no idea) and they're not stressed out about something, they might pretend to treat you like a friend. The rest of the time its, "This is overkill" or "You need to communicate"; back and forth, all the time.

Employee contentment and confidence is vital to optimal performance, and management has a huge part in that. They need to actually care about what's going on, and about those seeking to provide outstanding value to the company. The culture here is extremely dry.

All in all, I'd say promote Brian to General Manager, and move the other two back to some corporate place where they can plug away at what they're good at - metrics and numbers. Or just let them find some other place to do so. Any good manager needs to understand more than just metrics and numbers.

8. Field Human Resources

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

Lots of freedom to support my individual business.

Cons

Not enough tools to get things done and get things right

Regional Sales Manager

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

Great management, good commerical focus, reliable products with strong engineering team

Cons

No work life balance, lots of organizational changes/restructuring.

Advice to Management

Open up the communication lines between business units, grow your talent, remember that an organization is only as good as the people helping to build it.

Great Place to Work and Develop

Current Employee - Director in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Director in Lake Forest, IL

I have been working at IDEX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

IDEX is a large organization that is lean enough to give you the opportunity to try new things and develop new skills. The leadership is very invested in the people and there are great development programs and you are surrounded by smart people. There are opportunities to work on global projects and with different teams. The company is growing and investing in new technology.

Cons

There should be more communication from leadership to the rest of the businesses.

Advice to Management

Invest more time on communication.

Good overall company

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in West Jordan, UT

I worked at IDEX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IDEX is a good company overall. The CEO is good (both Larry Kingsbury as well as Andy Silvernail). The benefits are about normal for a professional.

Cons

IDEX allows the local businesses to pretty much run themselves. So the high quality corporation can be undermined by bad local management policies. My experience at the West Jordan facility was high turnover of general managers which caused a lot of problems. Then the last general manager was terrible. He was young, combative, arrogant, and disrespectful of the employees. There are about 35 people working at the West Jordan plant and from the time this general manager started to when I left, 12 other people had left.

Advice to Management

Hire and then keep quality local management. Give opportunities to grow at local levels, not just by moving to different divisions.

RSS Feed </> Embed