IDEX Reviews

Andrew K. Silvernail

1. Poor Leadership in the Organization

Former Employee - Supply Chain & Operation Manager in Punta Gorda, FL
    Former Employee - Supply Chain & Operation Manager in Punta Gorda, FL

I worked at IDEX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a profitable company with a decentralized business model. If you can be ok with not working in a high performance team then this is a company you will want to work with and retire

Cons

Poor leadership, prioritizes friendliness over business. Afraid of taking action and making changes. Deals with poor performers by promoting them to a safe place and leaving the rest of the team to carry the extra load of those decisions on a daily basis.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid of taking action. Listen to the team that knows the details and make a decision, don't be afraid of change

Fast growing start-up bought and then crushed by mismanagement and bloated overhead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IDEX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance package is one of the best outside of Union Labor.

Cons

No promotion opportunities - all top level spots filled by outsiders
    Meetings take up most productive time
    Poor morale company wide
    Family atmosphere previously there now absent
    Management by hypocritical edict and fear

Advice to Management

Before being bought we never had to call for sales. Our reputation was such that we had more work than we could handle by being the best at what we did. Now we have a sales team that hunts for customers and we still miss quota after quota. The first problem was driving away over a 100 years of technical experience with heavy-handed-fear-based management leaving the company with diminished capacity to actually make product. To add insult to injury, some of these critical positions were left unfilled and the work piled even higher onto less experienced employees. The obvious result was diminished quality and severe damage to our reputation.

The next problem was saddling the company with expensive overhead and their attendant lackeys while adding no value to actual operational performance. If anything, the excessive meetings and extraneous data collection to feed this overhead cripples the remaining workers productivity.

If this company wants to succeed, there needs to be a focus on returning to excellence. You cannot sit inside your office and make edicts and expect things to change. More meetings or hiring outside consultants will not help this company come out of a rut. There needs to be leadership shown from the top by coming down into the trenches and figuring out how the processes works and how we made money before being bought. Only by learning what made us successful before the purchase, will you be able to capitalize on our unique blend of skills and capabilities. There is no routine, everything is change. I know you want to setup fixed processes, and have accurate models five years out. That way leads to commoditization and third world companies eating our lunch. We should take pride that we are the only ones in the world these high demand clients can comes to.

Take no for an answer. Sometimes things are not physically possible to accomplish. I don't care what your sales person promised a customer or if this quarters numbers will be too low. We have to do things correctly and with proper procedures. To do anything else actually causes more delayed shipments, stressed out employees, and unhappy customers.

Excessive meetings every day have to stop. If an employee is in meetings more than 25% of their day, there needs to be something done. There obviously needs to be communication, but if it cant be said in two hours, then it probably isn't relevant for the day's tasks.

We are not a manufacturing line. You can't just slot people into positions without training and expect miracles to happen. Our main draw for customers is excellence. If your employees are not trained properly, how are you going to achieve excellence? Unfortunately, our most experienced people are almost all gone, but take the time to codify and integrate the remaining experience into manuals and training programs for employees.

Listen to your experienced employees. Several "low level"(aka no college degree but 10-20 years experience) correctly troubleshot problems with process flow that were not rectified until over a year later. They were told that data had to be collected before actions could be taken and this choked out our internal supply chain for the entire period.

In with management team, in with the company

I worked at IDEX full-time

Pros

Small company feel
    Stock price appears to have decent ROI
    Global company

Cons

No communication within and across departments
    No sense of team: everyone is out for themselves and when asking for assistance, if it isn't on their performance objectives then good luck getting help
    Few employees seem to trust corp management or other employees
    Turnover rate at all levels is above average
    Majority of employees think it matters more to be good friends with management team than it does to perform well in order to succeed
    No sense of overall strategy of the company

Advice to Management

The board should clean house and start over

5. IDEX

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

Financially healthy company. Good place to be a middle manager or below, as you can have a long run with a financially stable company with good benefits.

Cons

If you aspire to move up, make sure you don't overstay your welcome. Keep moving around. They talk about a culture of people, but don't walk the talk 100%.

Failure to manage complexity and assets well.

Current Employee - Engineer
    Current Employee - Engineer

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

The company is relatively stable.
    Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Little or no team-building.
    Lacks innovation.
    Poor leadership and heavy middle management.
    Professional development is left as your own responsibility.
    Very little diversity.
    No "community" feel.
    Executives make decisions and attempt to implement processes that make daily life more time-consuming.
    Extremely under-staffed at the base level.
    Talent is not retained.
    Company values are understated, if stated at all.

Just a job - Trebor International

I worked at IDEX

Pros

An opportunity to gain a lot of very valuable experience with only a limited experience going into it.

Often a worthwhile stepping-stone

Cons

Those in Management are there because they've been noticed for doing good work in their respective departments.

However, often they're really not cut out for dealing with people. Last year we had like 33% turnover. This is not a call center, it's a 35 year-old international company with $15 million of revenue a year, and most of those employees were actively contributing, value-added employees that simply got sick of being used and abused. Their reward for taking the initiative to take on more and more tasks beyond what's expected of them and personal development - thus offering more and more to Trebor in terms of productivity and proficiency, is to ask more and more of them, treat them like stupid belligerent pawns, and refuse to recognize dramatically improved contribution with any level of compensation increase aside from a 3% annual merit-based raise that really only keeps up with inflation. This is a cycle I saw take place independently, time and again in the lives of many great employees who got sick of it and found employment elsewhere often doing their boss's job, making far better money in a compelling, fun environment.

The only people here not looking for another job here are those in places where they don't feel they would be able to make as much or do work as meaningful somewhere else, due to their policy of hiring those with limited applicable experience in order to justify paying them less...

As mentioned in the title of this review, working here for everyone from the bottom up is JUST a JOB. To make money. To gain good experience. And to jump ship as soon as reasonably possible - which a third of the company does each year.

When I was brought into my boss's office to receive the explanation that they'd decided it's become a definite business need to fundamentally change the nature of my position - to the point that I would no longer be suitable to fill it - the only word I could use to describe how I felt was RELIEF. I had already been looking elsewhere, only wanted to stick around until what happened to be that precise time, and I wouldn't have rated two weeks' severance had I quit.

On a personal note, one of my biggest takeaways from this job is to get promises regarding compensation in writing. I received a verbal promise during the process of hiring me as a temp that, upon being hired permanent, I would be eligible for the pay being sent to the temp company during that time. I was later treated like a criminal for even bringing it up when it became clear that they had obviously completely forgotten.

Advice to Management

This advice would be to IDEX Corporate - observe how management candidates work with people before promoting them to upper-level management positions. There is a huge disconnect here between upper-level management (not including those in Sales; I don't know enough to comment there) here and employees, with the sole exception of Brian Bowers. Were it not for him giving the remaining value-added employees a reason to say, I think it's safe to say that Trebor would be headed downhill fast.

Managers need to have a genuinely amiable relationship with their employees. Most of what I've seen here has demonstrated an extremely bipolar style of management. When everything's gravy and they think you're doing your job well (but really, 98% of the time, they have no idea) and they're not stressed out about something, they might pretend to treat you like a friend. The rest of the time its, "This is overkill" or "You need to communicate"; back and forth, all the time.

Employee contentment and confidence is vital to optimal performance, and management has a huge part in that. They need to actually care about what's going on, and about those seeking to provide outstanding value to the company. The culture here is extremely dry.

All in all, I'd say promote Brian to General Manager, and move the other two back to some corporate place where they can plug away at what they're good at - metrics and numbers. Or just let them find some other place to do so. Any good manager needs to understand more than just metrics and numbers.

Good overall company

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in West Jordan, UT
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in West Jordan, UT

I worked at IDEX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

IDEX is a good company overall. The CEO is good (both Larry Kingsbury as well as Andy Silvernail). The benefits are about normal for a professional.

Cons

IDEX allows the local businesses to pretty much run themselves. So the high quality corporation can be undermined by bad local management policies. My experience at the West Jordan facility was high turnover of general managers which caused a lot of problems. Then the last general manager was terrible. He was young, combative, arrogant, and disrespectful of the employees. There are about 35 people working at the West Jordan plant and from the time this general manager started to when I left, 12 other people had left.

Advice to Management

Hire and then keep quality local management. Give opportunities to grow at local levels, not just by moving to different divisions.

NO WORK / LIFE BALANCE HERE

I have been working at IDEX full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good core group of 'worker bees.'
    Excellent Benefits

Cons

No investment or development of current employees.
    They would rather hire outside the organization.
    No bench strength or cross functional training.
    Senior Management totally out of touch with the reality in the workplace
    No fun times, no picnics, no employee related events.
    Work work work!!!!!

Advice to Management

You have some really great employees and should take better care of them.
    Develop and promote intercompany instead of hiring from the outside.

dollar driven...at all cost

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleboro, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleboro, MA

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

co-workers are caring. compensation was reasonable.

Cons

no advancement. no recognition. your work is never good enough. no management communications or expectations

confusing

I worked at IDEX

Pros

opportunities to make positive contributions to the growth of a department

Cons

Much of the information needed to perform essential responsibilities was out of date. It was also difficult to identify human resources who could provide answers to employee inquiries.

RSS Feed </> Embed