IDEX Reviews

IDEX Chairman and CEO Andrew K. Silvernail
Andrew K. Silvernail

No Union Here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Middleboro, MA

I have been working at IDEX full-time

Pros

Matching 401K Plan. Company Retirement Plan where moneys are invested into the stock market (vested after 3 years). No forced OT. Insurance Blue Cross Blue Shield. Decent rages. Manufacturing floor has AC. Small gym with showers.

Cons

Typical Upper Management issues: they know nothing about production work on the floor and are influenced by Mid management telling them what is the right way. Lean manufacturing leads who are former machinists not operating machines but going to meetings and doing paperwork for the Mid management personal that should be performing their duties. when I first started in this business a (Lead Man) was a top tier Machinist that was able to trouble shoot in order to keep production going.

Put your leads back to performing production work and force your Mid Management to work a little harder and more on hand instead of passing the buck.

Fast growing start-up bought and then crushed by mismanagement and bloated overhead

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boulder, CO

I have been working at IDEX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The health insurance package is one of the best outside of Union Labor.

Cons

No promotion opportunities - all top level spots filled by outsiders
    Meetings take up most productive time
    Poor morale company wide
    Family atmosphere previously there now absent
    Management by hypocritical edict and fear

Before being bought we never had to call for sales. Our reputation was such that we had more work than we could handle by being the best at what we did. Now we have a sales team that hunts for customers and we still miss quota after quota. The first problem was driving away over a 100 years of technical experience with heavy-handed-fear-based management leaving the company with diminished capacity to actually make product. To add insult to injury, some of these critical positions were left unfilled and the work piled even higher onto less experienced employees. The obvious result was diminished quality and severe damage to our reputation.

The next problem was saddling the company with expensive overhead and their attendant lackeys while adding no value to actual operational performance. If anything, the excessive meetings and extraneous data collection to feed this overhead cripples the remaining workers productivity.

If this company wants to succeed, there needs to be a focus on returning to excellence. You cannot sit inside your office and make edicts and expect things to change. More meetings or hiring outside consultants will not help this company come out of a rut. There needs to be leadership shown from the top by coming down into the trenches and figuring out how the processes works and how we made money before being bought. Only by learning what made us successful before the purchase, will you be able to capitalize on our unique blend of skills and capabilities. There is no routine, everything is change. I know you want to setup fixed processes, and have accurate models five years out. That way leads to commoditization and third world companies eating our lunch. We should take pride that we are the only ones in the world these high demand clients can comes to.

Take no for an answer. Sometimes things are not physically possible to accomplish. I don't care what your sales person promised a customer or if this quarters numbers will be too low. We have to do things correctly and with proper procedures. To do anything else actually causes more delayed shipments, stressed out employees, and unhappy customers.

Excessive meetings every day have to stop. If an employee is in meetings more than 25% of their day, there needs to be something done. There obviously needs to be communication, but if it cant be said in two hours, then it probably isn't relevant for the day's tasks.

We are not a manufacturing line. You can't just slot people into positions without training and expect miracles to happen. Our main draw for customers is excellence. If your employees are not trained properly, how are you going to achieve excellence? Unfortunately, our most experienced people are almost all gone, but take the time to codify and integrate the remaining experience into manuals and training programs for employees.

Listen to your experienced employees. Several "low level"(aka no college degree but 10-20 years experience) correctly troubleshot problems with process flow that were not rectified until over a year later. They were told that data had to be collected before actions could be taken and this choked out our internal supply chain for the entire period.

Growing company with a strategy that is not quite fully formulated

Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IDEX full-time (less than an year)

Pros

$2B corporation with small company feel
    In growth markets
    Little policy or restrictions in what to try
    Corporate structure is lean
    Aggressive management and growth plans

Cons

Many reorgs
    Unclear strategy for individual business units

Lay out crisp strategy for the platforms

dollar driven...at all cost

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

co-workers are caring. compensation was reasonable.

Cons

no advancement. no recognition. your work is never good enough. no management communications or expectations

A wealth of knowledge and experience, but there is a lack of communication

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rohnert Park, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rohnert Park, CA

I have been working at IDEX

Pros

Working at IDEX Health & Science has been a great experience. The people, the knowledge, and the technology has been very good, and the spirit and attitude that most of employees have is great. Most everyone's attitude is great.

Cons

The communication breakdown is difficult to deal with both between departments and management. The tribal knowledge is a bit strenuous but it is getting better. Dealing with management as far as bettering one's self, is tough!

Better communication for employees in regards to planning of yearly goals. Improve incentive/rewards for employees. Improve communication and duties between departments, to give a better understanding of how departments work together and what the end results should or could be.

Burnout Central

Former Employee - Human Resources in Wheeling, IL
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Wheeling, IL

I worked at IDEX

Pros

Superior benefits and acceptable pay structure.

Cons

Unfair decision making processes of upper management. Too much focus on the quarterly shareholder numbers and not enough on what you are doing to the business. Too little interest in investing in people or ideas - too much emphasis on the immediate versus long-term strategy.

Get out and let someone who cares about the business manage instead of someone who is only engaged with their own careers.

changes all the time. Unstable and short term view

I worked at IDEX full-time

Pros

good pay, freedom and empowerment

Cons

Unstable and short term view

In with management team, in with the company

I worked at IDEX full-time

Pros

Small company feel
    Stock price appears to have decent ROI
    Global company

Cons

No communication within and across departments
    No sense of team: everyone is out for themselves and when asking for assistance, if it isn't on their performance objectives then good luck getting help
    Few employees seem to trust corp management or other employees
    Turnover rate at all levels is above average
    Majority of employees think it matters more to be good friends with management team than it does to perform well in order to succeed
    No sense of overall strategy of the company

The board should clean house and start over

Great opportunities for cross functional- training and the ability to wear many hats

I worked at IDEX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, work-life balance, ability to get involved in other functions, non-hierarchical approach, minimal politics

Cons

Lack of diversity, not an accessible location specifically for city commuters, wide pay ranges

Stop firing people

NO WORK / LIFE BALANCE HERE

I have been working at IDEX full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good core group of 'worker bees.'
    Excellent Benefits

Cons

No investment or development of current employees.
    They would rather hire outside the organization.
    No bench strength or cross functional training.
    Senior Management totally out of touch with the reality in the workplace
    No fun times, no picnics, no employee related events.
    Work work work!!!!!

You have some really great employees and should take better care of them.
    Develop and promote intercompany instead of hiring from the outside.