IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jul 1, 2014

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers

Jon Ayers

Pros:
  • "New collaborative work environment which allows employees to work freely in mobile space"
    in 9 reviews
  • "A mutli-faceted company that is a market leader in all lines of business"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Inexperienced local senior management"
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad lower level management creates a negative tone and significant stress on teams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Westbrook, ME

ProsThe fitness center is absolutely awesome. The company seems to have a great market to work in and should continue to be financially successful.

ConsThe team dynamics were broken and very negative. The biggest problems were self inflicted, mostly by the managers who in turn blamed the team. I've worked for a number of different companies and managers and this was one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and resolve issues of bad management. Move from a 'stress' model to a 'cooperation' model.

Face Paced company that provides opportunities if you push for them.

ProsI think overall the management team has the company pointing in the right direction. There is always new stuff to talk about which makes it exciting and we are constantly evolving.

ConsCompensation could be improved a bit, but they are starting to make some strides in changing that area.

Service

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsStrong company name in industry; Physical working environment was nice; Good and reasonably priced food in the cafeteria; Secure building; Good benefits

ConsThe expectations discussed during the interview were very different after I accepted the job; Very little training was available; Group dynamics were dysfunctional ---there were (3) managers in less than 16 months and Senior Management accepted hectoring behavior by certain team members to their own team members and other business unit members.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Design Engineering has it good.

R&D Design Engineer (Current Employee)
    Westbrook, ME

ProsThe overall mood and vibe is very positive and optimistic. The benefits are good. "They" seem to care if the employees are happy. Scheduling is flexible (department and position- dependent).

ConsThe constantly changing priorities and the resource allocation that goes along with it can be frustrating. Also frustrating is that Engineering raises and promotions don't keep pace with the market. New Employees will invariably be hired at higher salaries than existing employees at the same level.

Good company with strong growth history and prospects

Technical Manager (Former Employee)
    Westbrook, ME

ProsCompetitive compensation, good work environment, committed to providing quality services and product to the veterinary industry, helpful committed staff, open communications path to the senior executives.

ConsSlow to invest in new opportunities, IT is not considered part of the core business model and is not an investment candidate, multi-national company that is still operates in some ways as a small startup.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on investment and innovation, strive to improve reputation to enable attracting top performers.

Total lack of direction and communication is poor between departments.

Customer Support Consultant (Former Employee)
    Clackamas, OR

ProsHealth Insurance and a 401k plan.

ConsDo not even consider working in the Customer Support department here if you have any ambition to move up at all, you will never get out of it. Poor management in this department who have no idea what you actually do and a Supervisor who only got their job because they refused to answer phones. Communication is totally lacking between departments and the corporate structure means that any chance, which is rare, is extremely slow. Stress levels extremely high and pay too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time and effort to listen to those that work for you and understand their needs instead of always putting the cart before the horse and just letting them get on with it.

Good for interns

Human Resources Intern (Former Employee)
    Westbrook, ME

ProsIntern program was fantastic; we were treated well. As far as the company: Good strategic vision, innovative company, very well-kept facilities and good culture. Well-managed and full of passionate people who strive to be the best.

ConsA bit large, meaning that sometimes you feel lost (not in the IDEXX buildings, but meaning that there are lots of employees.)

Advice to Senior ManagementEngage with your employees a bit more, and make yourselves better known to the interns. Bar my own executive supervisor, I saw very little of the executives while there—I wish I had seen more of them.

Interesting company to work for with worldwide locations

Intern (Current Employee)

ProsInteresting research and science, good work environment, flexible.

ConsPoor opportunity for advancement of career an salary. Employees tend to get overloaded with work due to lack of hiring more help.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what employees need and give everyone a raise, including the lowest people on the totem pole and part-time workers.

Dream job!

Memphis, TN

ProsGreat communication with executive team and HR business partners. You are never left alone they are always there to help.

Very upbeat company! Always positive outlook...management motivates staff and rewards them for hard work. No micromanagers here... In fact, managers are sent to orientation where they learn to communicate with staff correctly.

Innovative! Very Google like. IDEXX is committed to quality products and service , providing a positive work atmosphere and creating corporate culture of a family business.

They actually care about their staff! I can say this about my department, my up line... They listen to my suggestions and give me the opportunity to implement new strategies. It's called having faith in your people... IDEXX has it!

I found my dream job!

ConsPay scale is a bit off. There should be a bigger gap than $2- 3 dollars an hour between staff and manager salary. Salary should mirror experience, reputation and skills....not where you live or based on previous managers salary.

There is also a little too much interference from low level techs (from other labs) with little or no experience in matters that don't concern them. But I suspect IDEXX is already working on this.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Worst place to work very poor management

ProsNot many, maybe parking if you call that a pro

ConsPoor advancement, the new hires start out at a better wage that employs that have been working for IDEXX form many years

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better advancement, stop playing favourites, treat and pay your current employes better that the people who are just starting

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. CEO Jon Ayers. All 151 reviews posted anonymously by IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. employees.