IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers

Jon Ayers

Pros
  • The business is growing, pay is good, fellow employees bright and capable(in 6 reviews)

• New collaborative work environment which allows employees to work freely in mobile space(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all(in 9 reviews)

• Inexperienced local senior management(in 9 reviews)

Sub-clinical testing, business based instead of science based, management does not take responsibility.

Medical Laboratory Technologist I (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe pay is good, it's a large company, and they have decent benefits.

ConsGossip, intense racial politics, management refuses to take responsibility for their own mistakes. The company is concerned more with profits instead of getting good results. Long history of firing people as scapegoats and brushing problems under the rug. You may be offered vacation time, but you are not allowed to control when it happens. Chronically under-staffed. Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not fire your most talented people because they speak up about problems. Hire more people, take responsibility.

Bad lower level management creates a negative tone and significant stress on teams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Westbrook, ME

ProsThe fitness center is absolutely awesome. The company seems to have a great market to work in and should continue to be financially successful.

ConsThe team dynamics were broken and very negative. The biggest problems were self inflicted, mostly by the managers who in turn blamed the team. I've worked for a number of different companies and managers and this was one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and resolve issues of bad management. Move from a 'stress' model to a 'cooperation' model.

Total lack of direction and communication is poor between departments.

Customer Support Consultant (Former Employee) Clackamas, OR

ProsHealth Insurance and a 401k plan.

ConsDo not even consider working in the Customer Support department here if you have any ambition to move up at all, you will never get out of it. Poor management in this department who have no idea what you actually do and a Supervisor who only got their job because they refused to answer phones. Communication is totally lacking between departments and the corporate structure means that any chance, which is rare, is extremely slow. Stress levels extremely high and pay too low.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake the time and effort to listen to those that work for you and understand their needs instead of always putting the cart before the horse and just letting them get on with it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Worst place to work very poor management

ProsNot many, maybe parking if you call that a pro

ConsPoor advancement, the new hires start out at a better wage that employs that have been working for IDEXX form many years

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better advancement, stop playing favourites, treat and pay your current employes better that the people who are just starting

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Avoid this CESSPOOL!

ProsInternational teams are smart and fun to work with. The cafeteria and gym are good.
    That's all. Literally.

ConsTerrible management. Major favoritism. Extremely cheap. HR will lowball you when you come in and give you meager raises (lower than cost of living increases). Disenchanting performance reviews. Unrealistic expectations with loads and loads of busywork.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove your middle layer of management. They are wasting your money and your employees' time!

Nobody is accountable for anything.

Engineer (Current Employee) Westbrook, ME

ProsVery laid back. Family friendly if you need some flex time. You could loaf off here forever, if that is what you are interested in

ConsDifficult to advance internally, pay is mediocre at best. Crazy management directives assign you to projects and reassign you to other projects before you can complete the first. It's frustrating, and looking back on my 4 years there, not a lot of big "home runs" to put on a resume.

My pay raise was knocked down because i was "highly compensated", and my pay is at the middle of the pay grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease realize that engineers are unique, and pooling engineers is crazy. I'm an electrical engineer, got pulled off of EE work to deal with plastic vendors & dimensions. This isn't at all satisfying or making me feel like I am even recognized as an individual.
    Annual "my voice" employee survey is nothing but lip service. Havent seen anything implemented. My group identified "low salary" three years running. Big Boss rephrased it as 'recognition' and proceeded to reward a few folks in the group with a couple of $10 cafeteria gift cards throughout the year. Would that make you feel better about pay?

Lack of upward mobility for lower level employees

Research Associate Temp (Current Employee) Westbrook, ME

ProsConsistent work. Pay is average for the area. work 40+ hours a week. Ability to good above and beyond (No rewards for hard work)

ConsHard to get in. Lots of competition for low to average pay for the area. Will not call you back, need to know someone on the inside to get hired. Temp jobs are 2nd class employees. No upward mobility. Hard work is not rewarded. Politics are supreme, if you play the game you can get ahead.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate more full-time positions for long-term temps. The temps are not treated well and are first discarded even after showing years of loyalty and hard work furthering the company. Create avenues for advancement and ways to further education.

Long Temp Time

Scientific Research Associate III (Current Employee) Portland, ME

ProsFull forty hours a week

ConsNo Benefits whatsoever at all

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your temps hired full-time to positions. If someone has been there for over a year without benefits then that person deserves to either be hired on or let go. They shouldn't be prolonged in Limbo. Being a Temp is like being a second-class citizen. No fair treatment and overall no real perks of being the in the company at all. You can apply for jobs but your treatment is equal to any joe on the street. They prefer to hire out of state.

poor management and no opportunity to move up

Technical Support Tech (Current Employee) Eau Claire, WI

ProsIt is a good starter IT job

ConsPay. The new hires always get paid more then the people who have been there for a time, and management plays favorites

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to treat your employees better.

IDEXX Caste system is great if you are one of the "Nobles"

Not Disclosed (Current Employee) Westbrook, ME

ProsAbundant OT
    Free Food etc
    Not much else to say here...

ConsNo upward mobility
    EHS is a joke
    Facility is not codes compliant
    Management could not lead a one car funeral

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that you are in way over your head, resign. At your next job, resolve to do what you say you are going to do. Too many broken promises handed down by "Mighty Obi-Wan's" who were fired from their last jobs. IDEXX is all about the caste system. If you are a noble in an upstairs office, you can waste the day away playing cribbage, solitaire, "working from home", looking things up online, doing no work and drawing a handsome pay. No responsibility AT ALL. God help you if you are part of the peasant class. Hard work, being held accountable for things that are not your fault, and fixing all the f-ups.

The place is bulls*** but it beats digging ditches, barely. Someday IDEXX will either grow up or be bought out and may actually be a decent place to work. Right now cashflow is huge, and millions are wasted on stupid things like $900 office chairs and $4,000 furniture. Facility looks good but is , under the façade, very dated and in rough shape. Lipstick on the pig.

Eventually will suffer the same fate as General Motors. IDEXX is like GM back in 1954. On top of the world and spending money like a drunken sailor. FAT middle and upper management that do nothing and take home a handsome pay.

Everyone is afraid to stand up and call bulls***. The place is royally f-d up.

Worked for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!