IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Reviews

206 reviews filtered by
3.1
IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers
Jon Ayers

Pros
  • IDEXX has a lot of great people who foster a highly innovative work environment (in 10 reviews)

• The company does have good benefits and within certain teams, there is still a nice environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices (in 10 reviews)

1. Would avoid if possible

Former Employee - Marketing Manager
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

They have open positions and opportunities to move around.

Cons

Employees are not considered assets.

At your own risk

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

IDEXX can be a very rewarding place to work when everyone works together, both for salary and a pride in any job you are doing. It is an excellent company that provides top notch equipment for veterinarians to do diagnostics in-clinic or has reference laboratories for veterinarians to send their specimens out. The company is located all over the globe with headquarters being in Maine. They do try to run a company that is healthy and responsible towards their employees and clients.

Cons

It only takes a few bad eggs to bring everything down. This is unfortunately the case in Canada. The moral is very low across the entire country because upper management is not being monitored properly by the CEO, CFO and HR in the United States. The antics that go on would never be tolerated if they were known. Sadly, this has caused a lot of excellent people who cared about the company to disappear. So far, it seems not to have affected the quality of service, but it is currently at its worst point after 4 years of decline. Hopefully, someone in Maine will wake up and take a closer look so the company and its employees can thrive again.

Advice to Management

I highly recommend that Management in the USA open their eyes and actually speak to employees across the country and actually listen to what they have to say about upper management in Canada. I think they will be very surprised by what they hear. They might even consider calling a few "past" employees to understand their situations as "Exit" interviews were only done when HR felt they could either use the information against someone or they knew it would be positive. Canada is not being run to the high standards in the States and elsewhere. Hopefully, this wonderful company will wake up before it is too late.

Inside Sales

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company is solid. Not likely to get laid off.

Cons

There is no room for movement unless you and your wife are friends with the right people. They treat their employees horrible and could care less about them. Employees move on that are not very smart but are in the good old boy club. There is also a TON of nepotism in the company.

Advice to Management

Sometimes treating your employees will make them work harder for you. People don't leave companies, they leave leaders.

I agree with the older employee post

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

The business is rock solid because of so little competition in this industry. Thank god for less competition because the company is run so in efficient and disorganized it would fail if there was competition. Truly amazing

Cons

If you are an older employee at IDEXX you have no opportunity at all for advancement, there is a lot of age discrimination if you are older, As the last post says, they were rather hire some inexperienced young person, instead of hiring someone with years of experience in that specific job. The only part is how do you prove age discrimination I wish I could.

Advice to Management

Maybe if upper management would get off there high horses, take off their blind folds and see the dysfunction in all the departments because of this philosophy. Stop sitting in your office counting your money take a long hard look at what opportunities you are missing because of age discrimination. Maybe have some of the multiple HR people check into it you will be surprised how often this is happening. It is very non-motivational to apply for a job where you meet every qualification listed with years of experience and you don't even get an interview, pretty sad.

Manufacturing Tech 2005 until 2014

Current Employee - Manufactoring Tech in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IDEXX Lab is health care technology company, in my eyes it could be great, what is missing is vision and employee who qualify to do that job. discrimination is in full practice, the managers they will tell you IDEXX polices does not tolerate any discriminatory acts. on the contrary. the managers and supervisors are the one infusing the discriminatory acts 100%.

Cons

A company with a lot employment opportunity, with very little focus on minorities employees. the company managers and supervisor Ares related each other husbands and wife's or nephews and nieces. I worked 7 years I was getting raise only $0.25 cent yearly. the managers and supervisors will have meeting how they can manipulate IDEXX employees, the meting isn't how talented employee to advance. it is how they can use them and get credit from hire up like the CEO.

Advice to Management

The managers advice is, you are hiring employee who are lacking the education or the talent needed to do the job. for investors I have advise with this rate hiring only family member. the company will be doomed. soon or later. decimation is in fully practiced from managers dawn to supervisors all the way dawn to individual employee. start firing managers and supervisors..... clean your books.

Beware to any professional, this is not a traditional company in management and Culture! Work here at your own risk!

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of one but the poor common down to the earth people left behind in the Idexx haze of unneeded stress due to poor management, culture and business model is the companies only asset.

Cons

In the modern era it amazed me in how the worker bees are poorly treated and paid. It's a modern version of an American sweatshop. Everyone has one leg in one leg out looking for a job because of the poor culture & pay which means no one cares and only put's 50-75% effort to the task which causes a number of other issues for the company.

Advice to Management

Consider a traditional business model, spend time with the common man / woman employee to see what the common denominator is of your poor mid level management and how they are destroying what morale is left.

upper management has bigger role to play, keep employees dawn and pay rate differs by race.

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for 7 year IDEXX Lab at Westbrook and it is the worst company to get better pay or advance specially if your last name sound not like European descendent, You better have a family member working at upper level to get advantages to advance your career. even If you have the training or the knowledge / degree to the job well. you make less your counterpart , who don't have the knowledge or the degree.

Cons

after working 7 year I came up an improvement that would save the company $100,000 every year and as long as that company is open. I was the one who invented the tool for them what did I got $50 gift card, my collage got 20X more them me, discrimination to the teeth. even when I gave them 2 week notification, If I apply to a different company a job they want respond to the company X, if you use them as reference because you have work at IDEXX + 7 years. discrimination is in full practice from HR to supervisor.

Advice to Management

start firing some supervisors that HR know do discriminate and stop hiring or giving only family member the opportunity to advice. last one I have start working for IDEXX back in 2004 and left 2014 , my pay rate from $10.5 hourly end 13.5. to find out an employee I have trained and was doing same job as I was doing was making and worked less the 5 years making $16.5 hourly. just because his or her last name sounded European and had a family member working upper office.

Software support

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Good place if you are starting out

Cons

Poor management, crap pay, to much infighting, no promotion options, and untrust worthy management.

Advice to Management

Quit

Worst example of lab experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Pay is fine and how they are able to keep anyone.

Cons

Shady, backstabbing, disorganized and inexperienced management. Level change is based on how much of a "yes man" you are, not merit, and you must be related to management to feel secure in your position. No set process or procedure and rules are made up on the fly creating an anxious and disorganized work environment. Mindset is quantity over quality. They want you to go fast, short turn around times, but if you mess up its your fault. Not a place to work if you take pride in quality. Or want to feel safe at your job. Or want a career. Or want to be proud of what you do. Or want to help animals.

Advice to Management

People should not be "managing" family. And if you're going to be so shady,get better at it.

discrimination on promotion, opportunity, hiring process and recognitions

Current Employee - Manufactoring Tech in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cons

the company leadership only family member advance and you must have European last name or Color skin. 100% HR and Supervisors work on that values. I have seen employee been promoted, not because experience, education or the training. because her father or her aunt work upper building. after 8 years working for IDEXX I quite. I have seen employee I have trained making $2 more then me. I staid only I need money to pay my mortgage. thank god I have move one.

Advice to Management

fire all supervisor and change HR managers and give employees the opportunity to advance with there degrees and training skills. start looking your logs because there are employees who are working for the company more 10 years making less then employees with family member working upper building or color there skin or there last name don't sound like European name. will you do that that is the question????????????

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Photos