IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Updated November 23, 2014
3.2

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers
Jon Ayers

Pros
  • IDEXX has a lot of great people who foster a highly innovative work environment (in 10 reviews)

• Good pay, work that means something (in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all (in 11 reviews)

• Inexperienced local senior management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Software support

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Good place if you are starting out

Cons

Poor management, crap pay, to much infighting, no promotion options, and untrust worthy management.

Quit

Worst example of lab experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Pay is fine and how they are able to keep anyone.

Cons

Shady, backstabbing, disorganized and inexperienced management. Level change is based on how much of a "yes man" you are, not merit, and you must be related to management to feel secure in your position. No set process or procedure and rules are made up on the fly creating an anxious and disorganized work environment. Mindset is quantity over quality. They want you to go fast, short turn around times, but if you mess up its your fault. Not a place to work if you take pride in quality. Or want to feel safe at your job. Or want a career. Or want to be proud of what you do. Or want to help animals.

People should not be "managing" family. And if you're going to be so shady,get better at it.

discrimination on promotion, opportunity, hiring process and recognitions

Current Employee - Manufactoring Tech in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Manufactoring Tech in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cons

the company leadership only family member advance and you must have European last name or Color skin. 100% HR and Supervisors work on that values. I have seen employee been promoted, not because experience, education or the training. because her father or her aunt work upper building. after 8 years working for IDEXX I quite. I have seen employee I have trained making $2 more then me. I staid only I need money to pay my mortgage. thank god I have move one.

fire all supervisor and change HR managers and give employees the opportunity to advance with there degrees and training skills. start looking your logs because there are employees who are working for the company more 10 years making less then employees with family member working upper building or color there skin or there last name don't sound like European name. will you do that that is the question????????????

Sub-clinical testing, business based instead of science based, management does not take responsibility.

Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist I in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay is good, it's a large company, and they have decent benefits.

Cons

Gossip, intense racial politics, management refuses to take responsibility for their own mistakes. The company is concerned more with profits instead of getting good results. Long history of firing people as scapegoats and brushing problems under the rug. You may be offered vacation time, but you are not allowed to control when it happens. Chronically under-staffed. Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices.

Do not fire your most talented people because they speak up about problems. Hire more people, take responsibility.

Bad lower level management creates a negative tone and significant stress on teams

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The fitness center is absolutely awesome. The company seems to have a great market to work in and should continue to be financially successful.

Cons

The team dynamics were broken and very negative. The biggest problems were self inflicted, mostly by the managers who in turn blamed the team. I've worked for a number of different companies and managers and this was one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Recognize and resolve issues of bad management. Move from a 'stress' model to a 'cooperation' model.

Total lack of direction and communication is poor between departments.

Former Employee - Customer Support Consultant in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Support Consultant in Clackamas, OR

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health Insurance and a 401k plan.

Cons

Do not even consider working in the Customer Support department here if you have any ambition to move up at all, you will never get out of it. Poor management in this department who have no idea what you actually do and a Supervisor who only got their job because they refused to answer phones. Communication is totally lacking between departments and the corporate structure means that any chance, which is rare, is extremely slow. Stress levels extremely high and pay too low.

Take the time and effort to listen to those that work for you and understand their needs instead of always putting the cart before the horse and just letting them get on with it.

Worst place to work very poor management

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not many, maybe parking if you call that a pro

Cons

Poor advancement, the new hires start out at a better wage that employs that have been working for IDEXX form many years

Offer better advancement, stop playing favourites, treat and pay your current employes better that the people who are just starting

Avoid this CESSPOOL!

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

International teams are smart and fun to work with. The cafeteria and gym are good.
    That's all. Literally.

Cons

Terrible management. Major favoritism. Extremely cheap. HR will lowball you when you come in and give you meager raises (lower than cost of living increases). Disenchanting performance reviews. Unrealistic expectations with loads and loads of busywork.

Remove your middle layer of management. They are wasting your money and your employees' time!

Nobody is accountable for anything.

Current Employee - Engineer in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Engineer in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very laid back. Family friendly if you need some flex time. You could loaf off here forever, if that is what you are interested in

Cons

Difficult to advance internally, pay is mediocre at best. Crazy management directives assign you to projects and reassign you to other projects before you can complete the first. It's frustrating, and looking back on my 4 years there, not a lot of big "home runs" to put on a resume.

My pay raise was knocked down because i was "highly compensated", and my pay is at the middle of the pay grade.

Please realize that engineers are unique, and pooling engineers is crazy. I'm an electrical engineer, got pulled off of EE work to deal with plastic vendors & dimensions. This isn't at all satisfying or making me feel like I am even recognized as an individual.
    Annual "my voice" employee survey is nothing but lip service. Havent seen anything implemented. My group identified "low salary" three years running. Big Boss rephrased it as 'recognition' and proceeded to reward a few folks in the group with a couple of $10 cafeteria gift cards throughout the year. Would that make you feel better about pay?

Lack of upward mobility for lower level employees

Current Employee - Research Associate Temp in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Research Associate Temp in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Consistent work. Pay is average for the area. work 40+ hours a week. Ability to good above and beyond (No rewards for hard work)

Cons

Hard to get in. Lots of competition for low to average pay for the area. Will not call you back, need to know someone on the inside to get hired. Temp jobs are 2nd class employees. No upward mobility. Hard work is not rewarded. Politics are supreme, if you play the game you can get ahead.

Create more full-time positions for long-term temps. The temps are not treated well and are first discarded even after showing years of loyalty and hard work furthering the company. Create avenues for advancement and ways to further education.

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Photos