IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Updated September 16, 2014
3.2

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers
Jon Ayers

Pros
  • The business is growing, pay is good, fellow employees bright and capable (in 6 reviews)

• New collaborative work environment which allows employees to work freely in mobile space (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all (in 9 reviews)

• Inexperienced local senior management (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Industry, Wrong Company

Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager  in  Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

The companion animal side of their business is growing dramatically and their business model of "criterizing" human medicine highly profitable. Growth and opportunities abound.

Cons

Many employees are in positions for which they have little or no qualification to be in, especially those from the earliest days. Politics prevail beyond all else and are counter productive to business growth.

Ask why world-class experts brought in from the outside typically leave the organization quickly.

ok company to work for

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

fin stable company, very nice people

Cons

work life balance still difficult

be modern and start trusting your people

I was hired as a call center dispatch , answering incoming calls and route drivers to pick up samples, making copies,

Current Employee - Call Center Dispatch  in  West Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Call Center Dispatch in West Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. as an intern for less than a year

Pros

this company was very exciting since I work there for few weeks I learned a lot of news things, small group and learned about lab

Cons

distance was good, with benefits, culture

we handle dead lines, office culture, leadership was excellent

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Customer support consultant

Current Employee - Customer Support Consultant  in  Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Customer Support Consultant in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Support is different every single day, does not get boring. People who work in support care about the customers and are highly intelligent.

Cons

Can be difficult to move out of support into other opportunities in the company. Highly technical skilled people are not always considered for promotions.

Consider in house career fairs for customer support, they are the heart and soul of the company and are very loyal. They see and understand why IDEXX is successful: the customer

Love my job!

Current Employee - Customer Support Trainer
    Current Employee - Customer Support Trainer

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

IDEXX focuses heavily on customer and employee satisfaction. The company is remarkably open to change, and empowers ambitious employees to make a positive difference in their own work environment.

Cons

Some levels of management have a very limited knowledge of the job responsibilities of their direct reports. This can lead to unfair raises / reviews / promotions for these people as their supervisor does not understand their value to the business.

Employee engagement needs to come from a place of understanding. Management should make a real effort to understand the talents and challenges of their employees, rather than relying on arbitrary and narrow metrics to judge their value.

One of the best companies I have ever worked for.

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great benefits; empowering; people I work with.

Cons

Corporate sometimes doesn't realize how important the field employees/locations are to the success of the entire company. The politics are evident and that can sometimes prevent others from being able to advance.

Acknowledge the value field employees/locations bring to the organization; politics exist yet those in corporate seem to have blinders on about it. At least validate that they do exist as we see the actions/non-actions that are associated with it.

So so.

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Industry leader with great products, service, and tenure of employees. Financially stable company.

Cons

The earnings for the sales reps isn't even close to the amount of hours you spend trying to hit your numbers. Working 60+ hours and only making $130-$150k is a joke. Not to mention all of the training meetings and weekend seminars that you have to attend. Taking time off only means that you have to log extra calls before or after you get back plus the risk of losing a deal.

For all of the talk about how great the company is doing you never hear a mention on how that's going to benefit the employees. You hear about work/life balance but there really is none.

Good entry level job not much job growth

Former Employee - Laboratory Technician III  in  Grafton, MA
    Former Employee - Laboratory Technician III in Grafton, MA

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good entry level job and consistent work.

Cons

False information regarding movement within unit at hire.

Professional organization committed to serving clients

Former Employee - Specimen Processor I  in  Markham, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Specimen Processor I in Markham, ON (Canada)

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Flexible, interaction with department members, team player, commitment to innovation, attention to detail of diagnostic disease testing

Cons

Overnight shift; unless you ask, inability to perform training for advanced/promotional positions.

Could be ideal place for fundraising

Sub-clinical testing, business based instead of science based, management does not take responsibility.

Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist I  in  Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Medical Laboratory Technologist I in Baltimore, MD

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time for less than a year

Pros

The pay is good, it's a large company, and they have decent benefits.

Cons

Gossip, intense racial politics, management refuses to take responsibility for their own mistakes. The company is concerned more with profits instead of getting good results. Long history of firing people as scapegoats and brushing problems under the rug. You may be offered vacation time, but you are not allowed to control when it happens. Chronically under-staffed. Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices.

Do not fire your most talented people because they speak up about problems. Hire more people, take responsibility.

Worked for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!