IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers

Jon Ayers

Pros
  • The business is growing, pay is good, fellow employees bright and capable(in 6 reviews)

• New collaborative work environment which allows employees to work freely in mobile space(in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all(in 9 reviews)

• Inexperienced local senior management(in 9 reviews)

Good entry level job not much job growth

Laboratory Technician III (Former Employee) Grafton, MA

ProsGood entry level job and consistent work.

ConsFalse information regarding movement within unit at hire.

Professional organization committed to serving clients

Specimen Processor I (Former Employee) Markham, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible, interaction with department members, team player, commitment to innovation, attention to detail of diagnostic disease testing

ConsOvernight shift; unless you ask, inability to perform training for advanced/promotional positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementCould be ideal place for fundraising

Sub-clinical testing, business based instead of science based, management does not take responsibility.

Medical Laboratory Technologist I (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD

ProsThe pay is good, it's a large company, and they have decent benefits.

ConsGossip, intense racial politics, management refuses to take responsibility for their own mistakes. The company is concerned more with profits instead of getting good results. Long history of firing people as scapegoats and brushing problems under the rug. You may be offered vacation time, but you are not allowed to control when it happens. Chronically under-staffed. Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not fire your most talented people because they speak up about problems. Hire more people, take responsibility.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I think IDEXX is the right place to make a lot of money on a hard-working job.

ProsIDEXX offers very high-paying jobs. Work hard, stay focused.

ConsThere is a lot of work time, but it's worth it for the money.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd like some info how to get a Staff Engineering job.

Great in many ways, terrible in others

ProsThe working environment is, for the most part, great. IDEXX seems to like taking care of its people.

ConsHR is terrible at working with applicants for any job. There really isn't anything they seem to do right.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave HR change the way they rate things. Be willing to let go of previous directions when they become the wrong direction.

Bad lower level management creates a negative tone and significant stress on teams

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Westbrook, ME

ProsThe fitness center is absolutely awesome. The company seems to have a great market to work in and should continue to be financially successful.

ConsThe team dynamics were broken and very negative. The biggest problems were self inflicted, mostly by the managers who in turn blamed the team. I've worked for a number of different companies and managers and this was one of the worst experiences I have ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and resolve issues of bad management. Move from a 'stress' model to a 'cooperation' model.

Great company to work with

ProsEncourage innovation; employees are friendly; work schedule flexible; company culture awards good instead of punishing bad.

ConsPromotion standards are not transparent.

Opportunity to roll up your sleeves and make a difference

ProsThe people - so different from other employees you find in a metropolitan area (like Boston). There is a genuine caring in the company for the work and the people. It is a collaborative environment where your ideas can be shared with other. Feedback and support is great.

ConsWork load is heavy but the vision for where the company wants to go is there.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your customers and your employees.

It Depends.

ProsExceptional People. Terrific modernizations. Great products creating a lot of value every single day. The company is an absolute leader in healthcare and technology.

ConsDifficult to challenge the status quo. Senior Management is always right. This may not be the case everywhere, but in my experience, that seems to be the norm.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen up. Listen. There are a lot of employees who understand what it takes to make this successful company even more successful.

Good Experiences in Field, dedicated employees

ProsDedicated, hard working and smart employees. Learned a tremendous amount while there, was able to network with very interesting people. Some travel but not too much. Good work life balance

ConsManager distant/isolated from the team, did not work with employees to create a vision or direction. Confusing in that it was not clear where we were headed. Not much "human" in "Human Resources". Something is inherently wrong with HR in terms of on boarding and off boarding.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe get some managers that are more people oriented? Very smart R&D types that should stay in R&D and not become managers.

Worked for IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.? Contribute to the Community!