IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers
Jon Ayers

Pros
  • IDEXX has a lot of great people who foster a highly innovative work environment (in 10 reviews)

• The company does have good benefits and within certain teams, there is still a nice environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Beware to any professional, this is not a traditional company in management and Culture! Work here at your own risk!

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of one but the poor common down to the earth people left behind in the Idexx haze of unneeded stress due to poor management, culture and business model is the companies only asset.

Cons

In the modern era it amazed me in how the worker bees are poorly treated and paid. It's a modern version of an American sweatshop. Everyone has one leg in one leg out looking for a job because of the poor culture & pay which means no one cares and only put's 50-75% effort to the task which causes a number of other issues for the company.

Consider a traditional business model, spend time with the common man / woman employee to see what the common denominator is of your poor mid level management and how they are destroying what morale is left.

upper management has bigger role to play, keep employees dawn and pay rate differs by race.

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for 7 year IDEXX Lab at Westbrook and it is the worst company to get better pay or advance specially if your last name sound not like European descendent, You better have a family member working at upper level to get advantages to advance your career. even If you have the training or the knowledge / degree to the job well. you make less your counterpart , who don't have the knowledge or the degree.

Cons

after working 7 year I came up an improvement that would save the company $100,000 every year and as long as that company is open. I was the one who invented the tool for them what did I got $50 gift card, my collage got 20X more them me, discrimination to the teeth. even when I gave them 2 week notification, If I apply to a different company a job they want respond to the company X, if you use them as reference because you have work at IDEXX + 7 years. discrimination is in full practice from HR to supervisor.

start firing some supervisors that HR know do discriminate and stop hiring or giving only family member the opportunity to advice. last one I have start working for IDEXX back in 2004 and left 2014 , my pay rate from $10.5 hourly end 13.5. to find out an employee I have trained and was doing same job as I was doing was making and worked less the 5 years making $16.5 hourly. just because his or her last name sounded European and had a family member working upper office.

Good Pay but very hostile upper management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits The company enjoys monopolistic (nearly) market but doing enough to retain talent

Cons

Very poor Upper Management, lot of Micro management, only supervisors who would not care for their reports are liked by Upper management, Human values take a back seat. Poor work Life balance. GM believes in work by Gut feeling and not based of values and data. very weird middle and upper Management.

Think People, Scrutinize your middle management.

Started Well...

Current Employee - VDC
    Current Employee - VDC

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company does have good benefits and within certain teams, there is still a nice environment.

Cons

Greedy...in all aspects. The company is extremely greedy towards its customers. This filters down to the lowest level. Work/Life balance is non-existent. The company is creating more enemies within the industry than I would be comfortable with and I am not sure it is going to work.

A solid company to work for in Southern Maine.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company has solid salary, bonus and benefits for Southern Maine.

Cons

As with many companies, a lot of shifting priorities.

None.

Software support

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Good place if you are starting out

Cons

Poor management, crap pay, to much infighting, no promotion options, and untrust worthy management.

Quit

Best Place to work for

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

It is a great company to work for with so many opportunities and much momentum. They truly care about their employees and employee engagement is a top priority which you can feel everyday.

Cons

It is a high pace environment and you have to be able to keep up with the speed that the company is going.

IDEXX is a great employer experiencing tremendous positive growth.

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding career so far. Great time off policy, leadership is improving all of the time, good pay.

Cons

Can be overwhelmed at times, communication is still difficult due to everyone's day to day work load.

Stay focused on teams, work on employee review format. The current one is not conducive to helping employees with goals and development.

It is a Good place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Good people work there very helpfull

Cons

Needs more employees, you feel bad when you ask for time off because it leaves your team shorthanded

Hire more people

Worst example of lab experience.

Current Employee - Anonymous in Elmhurst, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Elmhurst, IL

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

Pay is fine and how they are able to keep anyone.

Cons

Shady, backstabbing, disorganized and inexperienced management. Level change is based on how much of a "yes man" you are, not merit, and you must be related to management to feel secure in your position. No set process or procedure and rules are made up on the fly creating an anxious and disorganized work environment. Mindset is quantity over quality. They want you to go fast, short turn around times, but if you mess up its your fault. Not a place to work if you take pride in quality. Or want to feel safe at your job. Or want a career. Or want to be proud of what you do. Or want to help animals.

People should not be "managing" family. And if you're going to be so shady,get better at it.

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Photos