IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Reviews

Updated April 26, 2015
207 reviews filtered by

It was a great experience and pretty laid back environment

Current Employee - Histotechnician in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Histotechnician in Memphis, TN

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays well!! and professional co workers

Cons

The shift is 3rd so if you are not a overnight person then this will be a dilemma

Beware to any professional, this is not a traditional company in management and Culture! Work here at your own risk!

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of one but the poor common down to the earth people left behind in the Idexx haze of unneeded stress due to poor management, culture and business model is the companies only asset.

Cons

In the modern era it amazed me in how the worker bees are poorly treated and paid. It's a modern version of an American sweatshop. Everyone has one leg in one leg out looking for a job because of the poor culture & pay which means no one cares and only put's 50-75% effort to the task which causes a number of other issues for the company.

Advice to Management

Consider a traditional business model, spend time with the common man / woman employee to see what the common denominator is of your poor mid level management and how they are destroying what morale is left.

upper management has bigger role to play, keep employees dawn and pay rate differs by race.

Former Employee - Lab Technician in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Lab Technician in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for 7 year IDEXX Lab at Westbrook and it is the worst company to get better pay or advance specially if your last name sound not like European descendent, You better have a family member working at upper level to get advantages to advance your career. even If you have the training or the knowledge / degree to the job well. you make less your counterpart , who don't have the knowledge or the degree.

Cons

after working 7 year I came up an improvement that would save the company $100,000 every year and as long as that company is open. I was the one who invented the tool for them what did I got $50 gift card, my collage got 20X more them me, discrimination to the teeth. even when I gave them 2 week notification, If I apply to a different company a job they want respond to the company X, if you use them as reference because you have work at IDEXX + 7 years. discrimination is in full practice from HR to supervisor.

Advice to Management

start firing some supervisors that HR know do discriminate and stop hiring or giving only family member the opportunity to advice. last one I have start working for IDEXX back in 2004 and left 2014 , my pay rate from $10.5 hourly end 13.5. to find out an employee I have trained and was doing same job as I was doing was making and worked less the 5 years making $16.5 hourly. just because his or her last name sounded European and had a family member working upper office.

5. Love the company and what it does for vets and pets

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

IDEXX is an amazing company for what it offers to the veterinarians. The number of new products and tests that come out that help vets with their clients is just amazing. And you can readily see it in the way customers respond. The new move to expand the sales force to better serve customers, and make the job easier for the reps is brilliant. With smaller territories, we will be able to spend even more time with each of our customers, helping them become better practices, and helping more pets and their owners in the process. I also love it that the company reimburses me for taking my pet to the vet to run IDEXX bloodwork, and then allows me see the all the results online with our new software. What other company does that?

Cons

You must be committed to your job, this is not a place just to 'get by'. I wouldn't want it any other way, and I certainly won't want teammates with that attitude.

Advice to Management

Love the new, much more flexible paid time off policy for 2015 - thanks for listening

Started Well...

Current Employee - VDC
    Current Employee - VDC

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company does have good benefits and within certain teams, there is still a nice environment.

Cons

Greedy...in all aspects. The company is extremely greedy towards its customers. This filters down to the lowest level. Work/Life balance is non-existent. The company is creating more enemies within the industry than I would be comfortable with and I am not sure it is going to work.

Software support

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Good place if you are starting out

Cons

Poor management, crap pay, to much infighting, no promotion options, and untrust worthy management.

Advice to Management

Quit

8. A solid company to work for in Southern Maine.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

The company has solid salary, bonus and benefits for Southern Maine.

Cons

As with many companies, a lot of shifting priorities.

Advice to Management

None.

9. Best Place to work for

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time

Pros

It is a great company to work for with so many opportunities and much momentum. They truly care about their employees and employee engagement is a top priority which you can feel everyday.

Cons

It is a high pace environment and you have to be able to keep up with the speed that the company is going.

“Slow Down and Take Care of Some HR Business! ” A Follow Up (1yr, 8mo later)

Current Employee - Facilities in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - Facilities in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay, Good benefits...about it.

Cons

A lot of changes since my last review. Absolutely no improvement, possibly worse. We are on the 2nd Director of Facilities in less than 2 years. The 1st lasted maybe a year, did absolutely nothing! He made a lot of promises and false hope to the entire department then was moved out by Senior Leadership. The 2nd took over 6 months to find and has been here for 2 months or so. I have seen her maybe 3 times in the office. I have not been impressed with the limited interaction I have had so far and what I have had left me confused, concerned with ability and wondering if this is a repeat of the last one.

The Facilities department is basically dysfunctionally functional. Everything is completed like a Chinese fire drill. Lack of direction, absolutely no planning and poor decision making by Facilities Senior leadership continually leads to the few in the department that can actually get stuff done over-stressed, over-worked and extremely upset. We keep being told things are being worked on to make it better. Give it time. Really? How long?

The employee satisfaction survey that they have been doing the last 3+ years has pretty much died on the vine. They've even delayed the next round of surveys giving some lame excuse. No action has ever come from past results so the majority in our department has stopped participating.

Overall IDEXX is lucky they are headquartered in Maine where good paying, stable jobs are hard to find. If they weren't this place would have more of a revolving door with people coming and going more often. I hear all the time "Where else can I go?"

Advice to Management

Open your eyes!!!..Listen to your people!!! Maybe you can get some ideas to truly make changes for the better for your employees and not just for your share holders.

11. IDEXX is a great employer experiencing tremendous positive growth.

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Rewarding career so far. Great time off policy, leadership is improving all of the time, good pay.

Cons

Can be overwhelmed at times, communication is still difficult due to everyone's day to day work load.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on teams, work on employee review format. The current one is not conducive to helping employees with goals and development.

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Photos