IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Updated December 14, 2014
3.2

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Chairman, President, and CEO Jon Ayers
Jon Ayers

Pros
  • IDEXX has a lot of great people who foster a highly innovative work environment (in 10 reviews)

• The company does have good benefits and within certain teams, there is still a nice environment (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Claim to be pro-work/life balance but will not change your schedule at all (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management is only focused on the Westbrook offices (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Always trying to do more, more, MORE!

Former Employee - Middle Management
    Former Employee - Middle Management

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, main campus has many amenities, smart people.

Cons

The constant pressure to keep the Street happy means there is always pressure to overproduce. In recent years, there has been some more attempt to put CAG marketing initiatives on a steady, if fast-paced schedule, but then a senior executive will utter a single sentence and everyone will need to double their workload to add a new, unreasonable demand.

The company touts flexible work schedules, but has actually been pulling back on work at home schedules. This can lead to productivity losses as the new open environment doesn't lend itself to heads down desk work.

Senior management lacks critical thinkers. Recent hires have all been yes-men (and I do mean men - there isn't one woman ranked higher than vice president).

Design Engineering has it good.

Current Employee - R&D Design Engineer in Westbrook, ME
    Current Employee - R&D Design Engineer in Westbrook, ME

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The overall mood and vibe is very positive and optimistic. The benefits are good. "They" seem to care if the employees are happy. Scheduling is flexible (department and position- dependent).

Cons

The constantly changing priorities and the resource allocation that goes along with it can be frustrating. Also frustrating is that Engineering raises and promotions don't keep pace with the market. New Employees will invariably be hired at higher salaries than existing employees at the same level.

Face Paced company that provides opportunities if you push for them.

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I think overall the management team has the company pointing in the right direction. There is always new stuff to talk about which makes it exciting and we are constantly evolving.

Cons

Compensation could be improved a bit, but they are starting to make some strides in changing that area.

Service

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc.

Pros

Strong company name in industry; Physical working environment was nice; Good and reasonably priced food in the cafeteria; Secure building; Good benefits

Cons

The expectations discussed during the interview were very different after I accepted the job; Very little training was available; Group dynamics were dysfunctional ---there were (3) managers in less than 16 months and Senior Management accepted hectoring behavior by certain team members to their own team members and other business unit members.

Good company with strong growth history and prospects

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive compensation, good work environment, committed to providing quality services and product to the veterinary industry, helpful committed staff, open communications path to the senior executives.

Cons

Slow to invest in new opportunities, IT is not considered part of the core business model and is not an investment candidate, multi-national company that is still operates in some ways as a small startup.

Focus on investment and innovation, strive to improve reputation to enable attracting top performers.

Good for interns

Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Westbrook, ME
    Former Employee - Human Resources Intern in Westbrook, ME

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Intern program was fantastic; we were treated well. As far as the company: Good strategic vision, innovative company, very well-kept facilities and good culture. Well-managed and full of passionate people who strive to be the best.

Cons

A bit large, meaning that sometimes you feel lost (not in the IDEXX buildings, but meaning that there are lots of employees.)

Engage with your employees a bit more, and make yourselves better known to the interns. Bar my own executive supervisor, I saw very little of the executives while there—I wish I had seen more of them.

Total lack of direction and communication is poor between departments.

Former Employee - Customer Support Consultant in Clackamas, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Support Consultant in Clackamas, OR

I worked at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Health Insurance and a 401k plan.

Cons

Do not even consider working in the Customer Support department here if you have any ambition to move up at all, you will never get out of it. Poor management in this department who have no idea what you actually do and a Supervisor who only got their job because they refused to answer phones. Communication is totally lacking between departments and the corporate structure means that any chance, which is rare, is extremely slow. Stress levels extremely high and pay too low.

Take the time and effort to listen to those that work for you and understand their needs instead of always putting the cart before the horse and just letting them get on with it.

Interesting company to work for with worldwide locations

Current Employee - Intern
    Current Employee - Intern

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting research and science, good work environment, flexible.

Cons

Poor opportunity for advancement of career an salary. Employees tend to get overloaded with work due to lack of hiring more help.

Listen to what employees need and give everyone a raise, including the lowest people on the totem pole and part-time workers.

Dream job!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great communication with executive team and HR business partners. You are never left alone they are always there to help.

Very upbeat company! Always positive outlook...management motivates staff and rewards them for hard work. No micromanagers here... In fact, managers are sent to orientation where they learn to communicate with staff correctly.

Innovative! Very Google like. IDEXX is committed to quality products and service , providing a positive work atmosphere and creating corporate culture of a family business.

They actually care about their staff! I can say this about my department, my up line... They listen to my suggestions and give me the opportunity to implement new strategies. It's called having faith in your people... IDEXX has it!

I found my dream job!

Cons

Pay scale is a bit off. There should be a bigger gap than $2- 3 dollars an hour between staff and manager salary. Salary should mirror experience, reputation and skills....not where you live or based on previous managers salary.

There is also a little too much interference from low level techs (from other labs) with little or no experience in matters that don't concern them. But I suspect IDEXX is already working on this.

Keep up the good work!

Avoid this CESSPOOL!

I have been working at IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. full-time (more than an year)

Pros

International teams are smart and fun to work with. The cafeteria and gym are good.
    That's all. Literally.

Cons

Terrible management. Major favoritism. Extremely cheap. HR will lowball you when you come in and give you meager raises (lower than cost of living increases). Disenchanting performance reviews. Unrealistic expectations with loads and loads of busywork.

Remove your middle layer of management. They are wasting your money and your employees' time!

IDEXX Laboratories, Inc. Photos