IDG Enterprise

Be The First To
Add Photos

Michael Friedenberg

great company, benefits

ProsThe company has thrived despite general economic conditions. It's smartly managed and has maintained a good portfolio of tech publications. Benefits are very good. Health care excellent. Retirement is 401K, and while there is employer contribution, you need to save aggressively. Management thinks clearly, communicates often with employees, and is very connected with the broader publishing industry trends. People have left and returned. Professional environment with high standards. Thoughtful place that's open to employee feedback. People are friendly.

ConsAs with any place that offers a decent salary and benefits package, the risk is that you may become risk-averse about taking on new challenges with a different employer. The internal promotion path is less than clear.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust keep doing what you're doing.

Great people.

ProsEnvironment, people, flexibility, benefits, location.

ConsCompensation, growth opportunities, collaboration among the departments.

Great people to work with, short sighted vision

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsGood benefits, flexible work environment and a fantastic team of highly qualified editorial folks.

ConsLow pay and a lack of innovation from senior management. There was so much talent there yet everyone was stuck chasing page views and reacting to google over producing interesting, compelling content.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake advantage of what sets you apart and stop relying so heavily on traffic. Your target audience is looking for access to insight that will make them look smart in front of their bosses, not a page on junk content that happens to loosely fit their search terms.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I work as a sales officer for the events of the company

ProsVery open and friendly co-officers
    Flexible time

ConsThe style of management is not very good

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers at high level should take care more of temp officers and give them more chance to develop

good company with good products but bad communication

Prospart of idg with solid fondation in b2b products and product development

Consi found the internal politics difficult to take, the communication cycle is poor

Advice to Senior Managementcommunicate better, be more open to individual techniques for helping business

Some good, some bad.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsThe CEO is a good guy and enthusiastic about his company.

ConsDepending on your group, you could be working with some great people. Alternatively, you could work with completely frustrating and difficult people - and that will make every single day pain-staking and exhausting.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen people quit - REPLACE THEM. Leaving open vacancies for years on end piles the work onto the people who are left, who will inevitably quit because they're no longer happy.

Decent benefits

Executive Editor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsBenefits, free bagels on Friday

ConsCorporate is very page view focused, but doesn't set clear goals. We missed what the company wanted without even knowing we were failing.

Understand your own work style to know whether this is a good match

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

ProsYou'll do well if ...
    - you work best when you are busy
    - you are an entry-level employee who works hard
    - or, if not entry level, you have reached a career level that is satisfactory to you
    - you are happiest taking direction from others
    - you see office politics as an unavoidable fact of life and you know how to navigate that environment
    - you thrive in a sales-driven company culture. Some companies have a dominant department such as engineering, customer service, editorial - at IDG it is sales all the way.

Also worth noting, the benefits package is very strong.

ConsYou should look elsewhere if ...
    - you want to try new ideas
    - you grow your skills and knowledge, and expect career advancement as a result
    - you are frustrated by politics or stovepipes, or by very lopsided treatment of one department versus another

Two examples of the corporate culture may help.
    1) The annual employee survey always finds employees are unsatisfied with the level of innovation. This is because new products or suggestions from employees run into standard walls - "we don't know if it will work" being the main one. Management's response to this complaint is to hold an "innovation summit" meeting where they explain that the company actually IS innovative. All the ideas demonstrated are those generated by upper management, based on things they've seen others doing already. Yes. No changes in policy or process, no effort to increase innovation, just a meeting to tell employees their perception is wrong.
    2) IDG has an operating review board meeting a couple of times per year - the founder Pat McGovern, many business unit presidents and so on - hearing presentations from departmental leaders. The departmental leaders invited to the meeting are coached very specifically that the goal is to have NO questions and NO discussion. So all these smart people are in the room, but the value to the company is zero. That seems to be an unfortunate wasted opportunity that could instead generate new and useful ideas.

The business unit has a new president now, which might help. He is well-liked and more balanced toward departments regarded as overhead i.e. 'not sales'.

On the other hand, Pat McGovern passed away and some people feel there will be even less regard for anything other than profit. The company still has some print magazines and when those are finally shut down, there will inevitably be another round of layoffs, particularly in editorial, production, circulation, and ad trafficking, but perhaps in other groups as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetrain middle and upper management on how to support new ideas, instead of killing them. Innovation is a well-studied process and IDG makes the most basic mistakes.

Shoddy business, no understanding of how to treat employees

ProsCo-workers, close to 90 for easy in and out commuting

ConsMismanaged employee comp system, no concern for employee morale, little room for advancement. You work here for a short time after college to get basic office experience and move on, definite concern over overall company business plan

Advice to Senior ManagementLiterally any effort towards making the work environment slightly favorable would go a long way to reducing turnover. Don't massively cut the budget to the one summer outing provided and then hold a company meeting the next day boasting record profits

Churn and burn

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Framingham, MA

Proslots of work to do, you'll always be busy
    most of the people who work there are nice
    short commute

Conseveryone is overworked, you won't have time to do do your best effort and no one in management cares as long as they remain super profitable and get big bonus checks.

churn and burn! high turnover due to low salaries is part of the plan. coworkers who had been there a while said they used to pay decent but a few years ago they cut everyone's pay 10% so lots of the best people quit or got laid off.

very low pay compared to where i work at now doing same job. most employees i talk to still there don't seem very happy. my new boss actually asked me about it in the interview, not sure how he had heard this. when i left idg i met with HR, they asked everyone why people leave but i didn't say much. it didn't seem to matter. they used to say my current company treated employees badly, but i've been here for almost 2 years and it doesn't seem that way. they must just say that so you're scared to quit.

Advice to Senior Managementno need to give advice to managers unless its how to make more profit or trim payroll, thats the only stat that matters there. they'll do great. every month they have a meeting and tell you how many millions they're going to make. you probably won't see it in your paycheck though.

Worked for IDG Enterprise? Contribute to the Community!