IDG Enterprise Reviews

3.2
Michael Friedenberg

Churn and burn

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at IDG Enterprise (More than a year)

Pros

lots of work to do, you'll always be busy
    most of the people who work there are nice
    short commute

Cons

everyone is overworked, you won't have time to do do your best effort and no one in management cares as long as they remain super profitable and get big bonus checks.

churn and burn! high turnover due to low salaries is part of the plan. coworkers who had been there a while said they used to pay decent but a few years ago they cut everyone's pay 10% so lots of the best people quit or got laid off.

very low pay compared to where i work at now doing same job. most employees i talk to still there don't seem very happy. my new boss actually asked me about it in the interview, not sure how he had heard this. when i left idg i met with HR, they asked everyone why people leave but i didn't say much. it didn't seem to matter. they used to say my current company treated employees badly, but i've been here for almost 2 years and it doesn't seem that way. they must just say that so you're scared to quit.

Advice to Management

no need to give advice to managers unless its how to make more profit or trim payroll, thats the only stat that matters there. they'll do great. every month they have a meeting and tell you how many millions they're going to make. you probably won't see it in your paycheck though.

Poor middle management and upper management. Misconception that outside people hold the answers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The benefits were always good.

Cons

When I was there outside management came in, hired their friends, let go anyone they did not know. My department head liked to take the department out as an excuse to get drunk. Never really understood where we were, what we had accomplished, and what the future would hold. Just wanted to delete anything that came before. When that happened, by firing people and hiring over priced consultants, other people in middle management were scared, said nothing, did nothing -- just sat by and saved their own jobs. Many good people were affected. I learned that my real friends were not the ones I thought. Working there was my life. I thought that my co-workers were like family. Eventually my department head was indeed let go and now the company is worse off for it and paying for her incompetence. I don't think they will learn from the past and are doomed to repeat it. I still stay in touch with some people there and wish them all the best.

Advice to Management

Respect. Listen. Acknowledge. Learn. Trust. Empower. Seams pretty obvious.
    They need to keep things flat and not obsess on the "marshmallow on the stick" -- nod to a Ted Talk by Tom Wujec.

3. Understand your own work style to know whether this is a good match

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time

Pros

You'll do well if ...
    - you work best when you are busy
    - you are an entry-level employee who works hard
    - or, if not entry level, you have reached a career level that is satisfactory to you
    - you are happiest taking direction from others
    - you see office politics as an unavoidable fact of life and you know how to navigate that environment
    - you thrive in a sales-driven company culture. Some companies have a dominant department such as engineering, customer service, editorial - at IDG it is sales all the way.

Also worth noting, the benefits package is very strong.

Cons

You should look elsewhere if ...
    - you want to try new ideas
    - you grow your skills and knowledge, and expect career advancement as a result
    - you are frustrated by politics or stovepipes, or by very lopsided treatment of one department versus another

Two examples of the corporate culture may help.
    1) The annual employee survey always finds employees are unsatisfied with the level of innovation. This is because new products or suggestions from employees run into standard walls - "we don't know if it will work" being the main one. Management's response to this complaint is to hold an "innovation summit" meeting where they explain that the company actually IS innovative. All the ideas demonstrated are those generated by upper management, based on things they've seen others doing already. Yes. No changes in policy or process, no effort to increase innovation, just a meeting to tell employees their perception is wrong.
    2) IDG has an operating review board meeting a couple of times per year - the founder Pat McGovern, many business unit presidents and so on - hearing presentations from departmental leaders. The departmental leaders invited to the meeting are coached very specifically that the goal is to have NO questions and NO discussion. So all these smart people are in the room, but the value to the company is zero. That seems to be an unfortunate wasted opportunity that could instead generate new and useful ideas.

The business unit has a new president now, which might help. He is well-liked and more balanced toward departments regarded as overhead i.e. 'not sales'.

On the other hand, Pat McGovern passed away and some people feel there will be even less regard for anything other than profit. The company still has some print magazines and when those are finally shut down, there will inevitably be another round of layoffs, particularly in editorial, production, circulation, and ad trafficking, but perhaps in other groups as well.

Advice to Management

Retrain middle and upper management on how to support new ideas, instead of killing them. Innovation is a well-studied process and IDG makes the most basic mistakes.

5. Shoddy business, no understanding of how to treat employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I worked at IDG Enterprise full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Co-workers, close to 90 for easy in and out commuting

Cons

Mismanaged employee comp system, no concern for employee morale, little room for advancement. You work here for a short time after college to get basic office experience and move on, definite concern over overall company business plan

Advice to Management

Literally any effort towards making the work environment slightly favorable would go a long way to reducing turnover. Don't massively cut the budget to the one summer outing provided and then hold a company meeting the next day boasting record profits

6. I work as a sales officer for the events of the company

I have been working at IDG Enterprise

Pros

Very open and friendly co-officers
    Flexible time

Cons

The style of management is not very good

Advice to Management

Managers at high level should take care more of temp officers and give them more chance to develop

7. good company with good products but bad communication

I have been working at IDG Enterprise

Pros

part of idg with solid fondation in b2b products and product development

Cons

i found the internal politics difficult to take, the communication cycle is poor

Advice to Management

communicate better, be more open to individual techniques for helping business

8. Some good, some bad.

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time

Pros

The CEO is a good guy and enthusiastic about his company.

Cons

Depending on your group, you could be working with some great people. Alternatively, you could work with completely frustrating and difficult people - and that will make every single day pain-staking and exhausting.

Advice to Management

When people quit - REPLACE THEM. Leaving open vacancies for years on end piles the work onto the people who are left, who will inevitably quit because they're no longer happy.

9. Decent benefits

Current Employee - Executive Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Benefits, free bagels on Friday

Cons

Corporate is very page view focused, but doesn't set clear goals. We missed what the company wanted without even knowing we were failing.

Great company that needs to invest in the future

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Framingham, MA

I have been working at IDG Enterprise full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Talented colleagues, camaraderie, great products, excellent reputation in the field, mostly good benefits, a head-and-shoulders better place to work than my last tech media company.

Cons

Top management lacks vision and has stomach only for short-term strategies (few long-term investments). The business is run more like a public company than the private company it is. Technology and content are not priorities. Ideas that bubble up rarely go anywhere. Lack of respect for internal expertise. Recurring comparisons to consumer competition; we're B2B. Various departments have little understanding of what each other does. After so many cuts during the recession, people are worn out by extending themselves again and again to pick up the slack.

Advice to Management

Most of what's good about the company dates back to the 90s and before; most of what's negative from an employee perspective came about during the last 10 to 15 years. That's not a positive trend. Advice: Address some of the cons.

11. Great coworkers can make even a tough job bearable

I have been working at IDG Enterprise

Pros

Great team of coworkers. Interesting events to work on - good exposure to different event types, clients, etc. Good vacation/ time off policy.

Cons

Working for a media company in this economy is stressful - uncertain future, layoffs, etc. Restrictive events budgets made our jobs very difficult and frustrating at times. Not too much support for training.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees - not just the management team.

RSS Feed </> Embed