IEEE

www.ieee.org

IEEE Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014
IEEE – Piscataway – “Progress”

James Prendergast

Pros
  • Good benefits and working conditions, life work balance(in 6 reviews)

• 98% of the staff and volunteers you work are great people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management needs to clue themselves in and needs to work together(in 5 reviews)

• Senior management needs to work together and support cross-unit teams(in 3 reviews)

good work place

Prossafe work place with good benefits. nice group of people

Consslow paced, less competitive and more tactical

Advice to Senior Managementneeds to be open minded and competitive

Sometimes great, sometimes infuriating

Pros98% of the staff and volunteers you work are great people. Friendly, committed, and professional. The group I work in is very professional, believes in professional development, and is family friendly. I couldn't ask for a better work team and boss.

Cons1) Volunteer leadership changes every year so sometimes it is run so poorly and this can be infuriating and demoralizing. 2) Staff at the higher levels is not very racially diverse. I doubt this is intentional but I don't believe there is a real commitment to a more diverse workforce. 3) there is a lot of inconsistencies in different departments - like some value professional development and will pay for training while others won't; some really are family friendly and others aren't; etc. If you are considering working there, try to talk with non-supervisors and ask them questions about the environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor top staff management council: stop making decisions in your insular vacuum. You don't know what really goes on.
    For top volunteer management: staff are true partners; when you say negative things about staff, you demoralize them which helps no one. If you have a particular problem with a specific staff member, deal with it one-on-one and don't generalize. For the most part, staff are very dedicated to volunteers.

Good Hard working people who do not have a strategy for success

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proswonderful people who want to build a great organization

Consno vision, strategy that creates a great membership organization

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from Unions like SEIU and others. Survey professionals that are not members to understand their needs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Management has a lot of "scope for improvement"

Info Tech (Current Employee)

ProsLucky to have a good supervisor, scope for socializing,
    Internal - recreational benefits - yoga, pilates, zumba classes.
    pet programs,
    Summer hours (dependent on your boss)

ConsIncreasing stress, Management pretends to make use of annual surveys to improve.
    unpredictable environment, uncertainty all around

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate clearly (if you decide to),

Program Manager

ProsFlexibility, telecommuting, family oriented, best employer 2012-13

ConsSenior Management needs to show less favoritism, very poor communication skills, not utilizing employee's potential fully.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds to be more involved in day to day aspects of employees and their needs and wants.

Experience at IEEE

Corporate Communication (Former Employee) Piscataway, NJ

ProsBenefits are pretty good and there are a lot of good people working there as well. You just have to be smart though, everything there is about who is who. Who works for who, what position you are in etc. Also, while I was there, if you knew someone, or were related to anyone you were automatically able to get hired. I felt like everyone there was related.

ConsPolitics, HR, too much reorganization. HR is extremely corrupt. Now there are those who get into a good department and everyone is fair, or they become buddy buddy with the right person. There was me who ended up in the wrong department and it was so political there, all about kissing butt, which I will never do. People were constantly fired and they were constantly doing reorgs. Hence why they are always hiring. IEEE also has a reputation for unlawfully firing people. Just not a place I would recommend. Also as a younger employee, I felt the elders, especially women, were rude to me.

Good benefits, terrible management

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Piscataway, NJ

ProsGreat health and other benefits, casual work environment, salaries are in line with other employers in the area and other member associations.

ConsManagement gets away with murder and HR does nothing about it. Upper management clueless about how dispirited the workforce is,and doesn't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTalk to your people and shelve your egos and petty squabbles for the betterment of the company.

Great place to work.

Professional Core Staff (Former Employee) Piscataway, NJ

ProsGreat benefits package, generous amount of vacation time, and ample opportunities to develop yourself.

ConsMany internal changes of late.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonesty is the best policy.

Nice people, good job security

Editorial Assistant (Current Employee) Piscataway, NJ

ProsGreat benefits
    Flexible hours
    Non-competitive environment
    Job security

ConsCan be difficult to move up in the company

Very satisfying work environment with challenges that keep you on your toes and get the best out of you.

Pros1. Diversified network globally
    2. Supports new initiatives and ideas
    3. Due recognition for contributions to the IEEE Society and mankind
    4. Amiable work environment with the IEEE blood running thick in the veins of every IEEEian across the globe i.e. everybody is very co-operative and supportive in each other's endeavour and work together to achieve the common goal of benefitting the society.
    5. Work is balanced by equal opportunities to have fun!

Cons1. Have to be on your toes and give the best shot possible to deliver results
     (however, failures, if come after good amount of sincere efforts, are NOT looked down upon, rather , the efforts are appreciated!)

Worked for IEEE? Contribute to the Community!