IEEE Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
Updated October 23, 2014
3.6

James Prendergast

Pros
  • Also some departments give employees great flexibility which really helps work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, work-life balance, telecommuting, travel opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management needs to clue themselves in and needs to work together (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management needs to work together and support cross-unit teams (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for, smart people, but bad upper Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Where do I start? I work with some of the most engaged, smart and hard working people in industry. People who genuinely care about you as a person and about the company they work for. The culture at IEEE has been unmatched for years. Middle management is great. Workers are great. Most people have worked for the company a long time and understand everything about it. Good benefits, work-life balance, telecommuting, travel opportunities. Great company mission of Advancing Technology for Humanity.

Cons

The current Management Council lacks direction and has many newer employees (since 2010) who do not understand the unique organization and culture. They are slowly converting the company culture to that of a for profit company, including mistrust, cutthroat, silos, etc. There are also good people on the MC so I don't want to drag everyone down, but the toxic people give the MC a bad reputation overall.

Need to replace a good 3-5 members of the Management Council who do not understand our organization are not fit to lead large groups within our company. Surveys should give you a clue as to who they are. Embrace the "old school" culture of an engineering not-for profit society with a mission to make the world a better place.

If you love play politics, join IEEE

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Learning why relationship is more important than anything else.

Cons

Worst place I've ever worked. Focus is rarely on work. I miss for-profit environment and great team work so much!

Not sure what top management is doing. They seem to care about politics more than anything else. There's no clear vision or direction and everything seems to be a priority. Work/life balance is the worst I've experienced.

Good organization, bad management

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting organization in that it deals with some of the greatest technology minds in the world-- has a long history-- very respected

Cons

It depends what department you work in-- I think some are great, some are bad. There are a lot of people have been there 20 or 30 years and are resistant to change

Pick a direction and stick to it. Do not promise X amount to the memebership when there is no way for the staff to complete that much work. You are working everyone to death and the morale is low.

People are awesome, management needs new direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

People are wonderful and make the craziness worthwhile. It's a place you go and stay. Benefits are wonderful, flexible scheduling depending on the department you work in.

Cons

New management council members are screwing it all up. Bringing in people that don't fit the culture and therefore create a negative work environment.

Management Council -- You have great people leaving the company because of your inability to work together.

Good Place

I worked at IEEE

Pros

Work Life Balance. They care

Cons

Politics. Like in any other large company

Important job, too much volunteer control

Current Employee - Director in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Director in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people I work with are great. I love my team, my boss, and my boss's boss. In addition, I feel a real connection to the mission of the organization and the work we do.

Cons

Volunteers control too much, and don't always think about the big picture. Like many organizations, there are significant issues with silos, and these aren't getting better, and may, in fact, be getting worse.

Management Council needs to be on the same page. Staff leadership needs to lead! Lack of speed in decision making and communicating where things stand creates major uncertainties.

Changed perspective (updating earlier review)

Current Employee - Info Tech in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Info Tech in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company considers genuine requests (personal situations), Accommodates as much as possible to help you cope and still keep the job.
    HR is also very cooperative, shares all the possible benefits and options available for you.

Cons

The organization has assisted a lot so no cons from me.
    But in general the company just lost a good CIO recently. Will miss his leadership and vision.

No advice - but a thank you note to HR - Please keep up the humane touch in the interactions with the employees. It is a good moral support.

IEEE is a solid organization

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Excellent benefits, modernizing systems, some opportunity for growth

Cons

Organization transiting to more of a corporate entity and job security is dicier. Now you are afraid to make mistakes which will only hurt the organization.

Senior staff needs to promote working together by setting the example.

Publications

I have been working at IEEE full-time

Pros

Non profit company with a great vision, good training, managers who care, ability to telecommute

Cons

Hard to advance and find new jobs

Great potential

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at IEEE as a contractor

Pros

Good mission. Some great people. Volunteers bring slice of idealism that is vitalizing

Cons

Senior management needs to clue themselves in and needs to work together. They talk about how the middle managers need to work as "one" but the senior management is one fractured, out-of-touch group.

Work together. The pie is big, a rising tide lifts all boats.

IEEE Photos