IEEE Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.3
James Prendergast

Pros
  • There is great work/life balance and decent salaries (in 5 reviews)

• safe work place with good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They have a part time CIO (acts like a par time one) who has introduced new senior management positions and made the dept top heavy (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management needs to clue themselves in and needs to work together (in 3 reviews)

1. Branch Chair

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Best organization to socialize and learn new technologies

Cons

There are no negative aspects for this Organization !

Good benefits, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ

I worked at IEEE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work times, relaxed atmosphere mostly, and the knowledge that you are working for a not for profit.

Cons

In short: management and leadership. They have to stop thinking of themselves only and begin thinking of what is best for their people. HR: stop protecting your friends and those who are managing and leading poorly.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your people and find out what is really causing them frustrations. Stop hiding in your offices and stop hiding behind your per-conceived notions.

Not A Great Place to Work in NJ

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

The overall mission. "The world's largest professional association for the advancement of technology"

Cons

There are many silos that exist. Not all OUs participate fully in entity programs like telecommuting, or put extra restrictions on things like expense reporting requirements. The talent attracted into this organization is mediocre at best. It is extremely difficult to get career development guidance. Promotions are not given based on merit, rather, politics and popularity.

Advice to Management

Take care of the good employees and stop rewarding the inept. Reward results.

Toxic, Politically Supercharged, and Teetering on Unethical

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IEEE employees are friendly and courteous with the exception of those in the upper branches of the org chart.

Cons

The IEEE Management Council more closely resembles a group of warring kings battling for the Iron Throne than a leadership team of a major association. Their actions over the past decade have cultivated an environment where enterprise level faction wars dictate long-term strategy and senior staff hold prized volunteers in their pockets, like so many nickels and dimes.

I work in IT for a company that claims to advance technological innovation. Who's leading the charge? A Chief Information Officer who has never before held a job in technology. Ever. She's an accountant who made it to the top of IT the same way Sarah Palin almost made it to the WhiteHouse: shortsighted, politically-motivated decisions.

Since her promotion I've witnessed a mass exodus of technical talent, considerably reduced Towers Watson employee engagement scores, and new department priorities that trade things like patch management and firewall updates for what seem like favors to those who helped her rise to the top. In this past year we have learned to keep our mouths shut if we have concerns about a project or deployment. Even our Senior Directors smile and nod at directions that defy basic enterprise technology best practices. To quote a member of our leadership team, "We're doing it to pay the mortgage."

I'm sure this sounds like an exaggeration of the truth. It's not. It's easy to look at LinkedIn and see the technical staff who have left IEEE in the past year. The sad thing is it's not getting better. It's getting worse.

Each year we take the Towers Watson Employee Engagement Survey and inform IEEE's leadership of the challenges we face in our work environment. It's the same story year after year: the results depict the dysfunctional environment I describe. And the problem is at the top.

Advice to Management

I challenge Jim Prendergast, our Executive Director and CEO, to hold himself personally accountable for the results of the next Towers Watson Employee Engagement Survey.

Remember your roots as an engineer, Jim. Dig into the data in front of you. Make it about the numbers. How can you improve them? How can you fix the problem? And if you can't? Step aside and let someone else try. A 130-year old pillar of modern science depends on it.

Lots of deadwood

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being a non-profit they have no shareholder pressure and hence goals are not aggressive.

Cons

I worked in IT dept and found that the folks in IT dept have their personal goals which outweigh the corp goals. The company overall has good policies but there is lot of deadwood that needs to go. The same goes for the HR team.. they are unsure if they should work for the benefit of employees or be a tail wagger to the senior management. They are unable to perform independently and lot of decisions (hire and fire) are made by the senior management and HR has no role in it. Ethics has become a big issue there!

if you do not want to work too hard, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Good work-life balance, nice pay and job security, a lot of people work with the company for more than 20 years. not deadline driven, which means less stress

Cons

IEEE is definitely Not a nimble company, very bureaucratic, laid back. staff needs a lot of training. lots of power struggle among the directors and senior directors

Advice to Management

stop playing the power games! Do things that will move the company forward in this challenging market; hire people who have the skill sets for the jobs

8. Nice Culture, Good Work/Life Balance

I have been working at IEEE full-time

Pros

Very nice people to work with. Have good work/life balance

Cons

A lot of experienced people in the company with limited positions - hard to move up within the company

9. An amazing company who actually cares about their employees

I worked at IEEE

Pros

Culture is great - company cares about employees and encourage work/life balance

Cons

The pay and benefits could be improved.

10. Evolving with new challenges

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Constantly changing work environment with a supporting work culture.

Cons

As a professional society with Volunteer oversight, decision making authority can be ambiguous and at a pace slower than private sector.

Advice to Management

Lead by example.

11. Excellent

I worked at IEEE

Pros

The reason to work with you is to gain more knowledge in my area of study. Also, I want the chance of a internship to learn how my career is applied in the workplace. Finally, to develop speaking English.

Cons

Some of the challenges that I could find is speak fluent English and do not understand the people.

RSS Feed </> Embed