IEEE Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.4
James Prendergast

Pros
  • There is great work/life balance and decent salaries (in 5 reviews)

• safe work place with good benefits (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They have a part time CIO (acts like a par time one) who has introduced new senior management positions and made the dept top heavy (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management needs to clue themselves in and needs to work together (in 3 reviews)

1. Great work life balance

I have been working at IEEE full-time

Pros

Great work life balance, especially with kids

Cons

Can be disorganized and many people doing similar jobs

Advice to Management

Coordination of activities across all the OUs to ensure all divisions are speaking with the same voice to members and volunteers.

2. Cultural Shift from Old To New. Bright Future Ahead.

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Terrific organization. Strong financials, good benefits, exceptional reputation. I feel good about what I accomplish at IEEE. I've been lucky to be assigned to some cool teams, especially in marketing. It's rare that I'm not excited to come to work. Impressive leadership at the executive level, especially the new leaders. The exception being execs in their current jobs 10+ years.

Cons

I wish the incentive program was better. I'll be honest - it's a joke. There is no pay for performance culture, which leads me to my next comment: a lot of the complainers have been here so long that they don't realize how good they have it. Those of us that came here from other companies praise God for how lucky they are to work here. It is very clear top management is working to change things; but it's slow going. I don't fault the new execs....they often encounter a buzz saw of resistance from entrenched staff (and their volunteers) who work behind the scenes to run interference. I do have the sense, though, that the culture will continue to evolve and change for the better.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the complainers. There are plenty of people looking for work, who would be happy to replace them. Significantly improve the incentive program. The economy is improving, and more attractive offers are out there.

3. Major leadership and culture issues

I have been working at IEEE full-time

Pros

The organization has a good mission, decent benefits, telecommuting, and honorable goals.

Cons

The leadership within this organization needs a major overhaul. The culture is bad.

Advice to Management

Clean up your acts and those that report to you. Stop playing favorites. Please do career planning with ALL of your reports.

5. Administrative Asst

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE

Pros

The benefits and vacation time are very good, most of the people are great to work with. They are flexible with schedules. On site training is also great.

Cons

Human Resource is never available to help yet they seem to have more employees than necessary. If you ever have a complaint about a supervisor/manager/director everybody knows it's a waste of time to file a legit complaint as NOTHING is ever done about it. Exit Interview - Useless. They are getting rid of a lot of employees in the last few years (new regime) don't offer a severance package that is consistent with others. Upper management of course benefits even if they haven't been there quite as long as others. They have found ways around "firing" people in order to not get sued. Hence all the lawyers hired in the last few years. Some Senior Staff Directors need to be looked at as they rely on their managers to do the work while they bide their time micro managing and doing admin work because they are not fluent in their own jobs. Huge misuse of funds - whether it be wasting time and money on a "new program/system" or the expense reports of volunteers/upper management. More work added to the plate every year, huge goals and no promotions, no money.

Advice to Management

If management listened that would be great. So many chiefs in that place getting paid the big bucks while the rest do all the work and get no credit or money. Stop humoring everyone and acting as if you care about the survey results, because obviously nothing changes. Instead we sit through 2 hour meetings addressing the items they want to address and never in the end changing anything.

6. Worst IT department full of jealous crabs

Former Employee - Systems Analyst II in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst II in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Medical benefits if you fall sick often

Cons

IT organization has worst management that does not care about employee's career. You will get stuck once you get there. The ladies in the company work like part timers. You will end your career in a bad shape if you still around for more than 2 years. worst IT department ever.

Advice to Management

Don't hire Sr people and make the org top heavy. don't hire brillient guys for support work.

Good benefits, poor management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Colonia, NJ

I worked at IEEE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, flexible work times, relaxed atmosphere mostly, and the knowledge that you are working for a not for profit.

Cons

In short: management and leadership. They have to stop thinking of themselves only and begin thinking of what is best for their people. HR: stop protecting your friends and those who are managing and leading poorly.

Advice to Management

Get in touch with your people and find out what is really causing them frustrations. Stop hiding in your offices and stop hiding behind your per-conceived notions.

Toxic, Politically Supercharged, and Teetering on Unethical

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

IEEE employees are friendly and courteous with the exception of those in the upper branches of the org chart.

Cons

The IEEE Management Council more closely resembles a group of warring kings battling for the Iron Throne than a leadership team of a major association. Their actions over the past decade have cultivated an environment where enterprise level faction wars dictate long-term strategy and senior staff hold prized volunteers in their pockets, like so many nickels and dimes. I work in IT for a company that claims to advance technological innovation. Who's leading the charge? A Chief Information Officer who has never before held a job in technology. Ever. She's an accountant who made it to the top of IT the same way Sarah Palin almost made it to the WhiteHouse: shortsighted, politically-motivated decisions. Since her promotion I've witnessed a mass exodus of technical talent, considerably reduced Towers Watson employee engagement scores, and new department priorities that trade things like patch management and firewall updates for what seem like favors to those who helped her rise to the top. In this past year we have learned to keep our mouths shut if we have concerns about a project or deployment. Even our Senior Directors smile and nod at directions that defy basic enterprise technology best practices. To quote a member of our leadership team, "We're doing it to pay the mortgage." I'm sure this sounds like an exaggeration of the truth. It's not. It's easy to look at LinkedIn and see the technical staff who have left IEEE in the past year. The sad thing is it's not getting better. It's getting worse. Each year we take the Towers Watson Employee Engagement Survey and inform IEEE's leadership of the challenges we face in our work environment. It's the same story year after year: the results depict the dysfunctional environment I describe. And the problem is at the top.

Advice to Management

I challenge Jim Prendergast, our Executive Director and CEO, to hold himself personally accountable for the results of the next Towers Watson Employee Engagement Survey. Remember your roots as an engineer, Jim. Dig into the data in front of you. Make it about the numbers. How can you improve them? How can you fix the problem? And if you can't? Step aside and let someone else try. A 130-year old pillar of modern science depends on it.

Lots of deadwood

Former Employee - IT Consultant in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - IT Consultant in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Being a non-profit they have no shareholder pressure and hence goals are not aggressive.

Cons

I worked in IT dept and found that the folks in IT dept have their personal goals which outweigh the corp goals. The company overall has good policies but there is lot of deadwood that needs to go. The same goes for the HR team.. they are unsure if they should work for the benefit of employees or be a tail wagger to the senior management. They are unable to perform independently and lot of decisions (hire and fire) are made by the senior management and HR has no role in it. Ethics has become a big issue there!

if you do not want to work too hard, this is the place for you

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Good work-life balance, nice pay and job security, a lot of people work with the company for more than 20 years. not deadline driven, which means less stress

Cons

IEEE is definitely Not a nimble company, very bureaucratic, laid back. staff needs a lot of training. lots of power struggle among the directors and senior directors

Advice to Management

stop playing the power games! Do things that will move the company forward in this challenging market; hire people who have the skill sets for the jobs

11. Branch Chair

I have been working at IEEE

Pros

Best organization to socialize and learn new technologies

Cons

There are no negative aspects for this Organization !

RSS Feed </> Embed