IEEE

Updated January 14, 2015
Updated January 14, 2015
3.8

James Prendergast

Pros
  • Also some departments give employees great flexibility which really helps work/life balance (in 5 reviews)

• Good benefits, work-life balance, telecommuting, travel opportunities (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management needs to clue themselves in and needs to work together (in 5 reviews)

• Senior management needs to work together and support cross-unit teams (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

I worked at IEEE

Pros

The reason to work with you is to gain more knowledge in my area of study. Also, I want the chance of a internship to learn how my career is applied in the workplace. Finally, to develop speaking English.

Cons

Some of the challenges that I could find is speak fluent English and do not understand the people.

Business development and sales for a leading global professional technical organization.

Former Employee - Director Business Development in Piscataway, NJ
    Former Employee - Director Business Development in Piscataway, NJ

I worked at IEEE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was a great atmosphere in may respects- smart people at leading technology companies were the constituents. Worked at a global level influencing technology, policy and trade. Financial stable, growing organization, that is respected internationally

Cons

Very process driven culture. Influence of board members from leading academic and technology organizations sometimes conflicted with goals of the organization. Slow to change in many respects. Many "second wage earners" who are less interested in career progressions means that it is low key in some respects but also that there is a lot of "dead weight".

Better alignment of incentives and communication with employees would make it a more rewarding work environment.

Great Experience!

I worked at IEEE

Pros

My internship there was the most simulating experience of work career.

Cons

Not that many engineers in the US...and they're the target audience.

Wonderful place to work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are many wellness benefits, the campus is beautiful and the organization does a good job of providing opportunities for employees to network and get to know co-workers. There is also ample training opportunities and a tuition reimbursement program. And most departments offer the opportunity to work from home one day a week.

Cons

If you are used to corporate life and generous bonuses you will not find that here unless you are an executive. Performance review policy is a little strange because leadership peers discuss who can/should get a designated level and increase.

Work life balance

Former Employee - New Product Analyst
    Former Employee - New Product Analyst

I worked at IEEE

Pros

Nice people and great history

Cons

Low salaries and career progression

Think outside the box

A GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Finally a company where management understands the concept of "A happy employee is a productive employee." There has been positive team building, innovative ways to move the company forward and they actually listen to what the employees have to say (both good and bad). It is not surprising to see the CEO walking through the halls with a smile on his face and being very friendly or stopping to chat to the employees. The employees are amazing to work with and very friendly. The benefits are great and they are constantly implementing new things to help keep us both happy and healthy. Some programs offered are onsite chair massages, a bicycle program (where you can check out a bike and take advantage of a nice bicycle ride in the park next to the office), medical premium incentive programs and onsite yoga & rumba classes.

Cons

Depending on what department you work in promotions are slow in obtaining.

Data Analyst at the member services

I worked at IEEE

Pros

Good atmosphere, amazing work ethics and an excellent place to work at.

Cons

not much opportunity for growth as an intern. Getting to a full time employment was difficult.

good company

I worked at IEEE full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of paid time off, flexible schedule, telecommuting

Cons

Some volunteers can be a bit difficult to work with, noticed some office gossip.

Encourage and work with your employees more

Gangs of Politics with No responsibility and accountability

Current Employee - IT Employee in Piscataway, NJ
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can join IEEE and plan for retirement.
    Only three rules to survive:
    1. Say what majority says
    2. Play politics or be a puppet of someone who can
    3. Always remember rule 1 and rule 2.

Cons

People made it to top management in IT based on politics and favoritism. This makes them head strong and less adaptive to any change for good.

Fire Senior Staff Directors, Staff Directors, Sr. Directors, and Directors, not CIO's. This the main source of contamination. Think about it, how can a CIO will go bad for every 2-3 years in this enterprise? It does not make sense. Don't just make ONE person scapegoat when something bad happens.

Favoritism kills the innovative/smart working talent left in the enterprise.

Great company to work for, smart people, but bad upper Management

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Piscataway, NJ

I have been working at IEEE full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Where do I start? I work with some of the most engaged, smart and hard working people in industry. People who genuinely care about you as a person and about the company they work for. The culture at IEEE has been unmatched for years. Middle management is great. Workers are great. Most people have worked for the company a long time and understand everything about it. Good benefits, work-life balance, telecommuting, travel opportunities. Great company mission of Advancing Technology for Humanity.

Cons

The current Management Council lacks direction and has many newer employees (since 2010) who do not understand the unique organization and culture. They are slowly converting the company culture to that of a for profit company, including mistrust, cutthroat, silos, etc. There are also good people on the MC so I don't want to drag everyone down, but the toxic people give the MC a bad reputation overall.

Need to replace a good 3-5 members of the Management Council who do not understand our organization are not fit to lead large groups within our company. Surveys should give you a clue as to who they are. Embrace the "old school" culture of an engineering not-for profit society with a mission to make the world a better place.

IEEE Photos