IES Abroad

CEO

Intern to part-time staff

Former Employee - /Part-time Staff in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - /Part-time Staff in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I first joined IES as an intern during graduate school. I enjoyed it so much that I personally asked if there was an opening for a part-time staff position (I was still in graduate school). Luckily, there was and very much enjoyed my time. The people working there are welcoming and friendly. I found mentors in a few people and as a grad student, that's really valuable because this is the field I want to join. Very flexible with my class and other internship schedule.

Cons

It can get tedious, but someone as to process applications!

Excellent work environment and great work-life balance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people are the best reason to work at IES Abroad. Overall, employees are positive, friendly, and very committed to the mission of serving students. Most employees have studied abroad themselves, and there is a wonderful community atmosphere. Employees respect each other and work as a team to help improve student services. Some of my best friendships have been formed at IES.

Of course it depends on your department, but in general you'll enjoy a healthy work-life balance at IES. Employees tend to have type-A personalities, and are smart, driven people. You'll definitely work hard at IES, but generally you won't have to stay late often (if you're in an entry level position).

IES is very well respected in the field, and it's one of the nation's oldest and largest study abroad providers. It's great to work for a non-profit study abroad provider that is actually reputable (many are not). If you want to work in international education - this is a great place to work.

Cons

As other reviewers have mentioned, it can be difficult for entry-level employees to grow at IES. There are some management jobs that can be attained after a few years at an entry-level position, but those are few and far between. There's a gap between low-paying entry-level jobs and very high paying senior management jobs that require advanced degrees and many years of experience.

In general there are wonderful people working at IES, but the president and a few members of senior management aren't well respected by employees.

Not a place to start your career

Former Employee - Admissions Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Admissions Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The staff is fun for the most part. It's a lot of recent grads with international experience. The location is great and work hours are also good.

Cons

There is no room for growth or professional development opportunities. I think my resume was more competitive before I worked here, and the pay is extremely low. There is no opportunity during annual reviews to give feedback to managers, and no interest in making sure managers are leading effectively.

It would be difficult to start a career here, as you most likely won't have increasing responsibilities or a promotion, so there would be little opportunity to get a better position at a different organization or company.

Not a place for creative, hard-working or ambitious individuals.

Former Employee - Program Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Program Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work hours. Good location. You will meet a few smart people (but there are smart people everywhere).

Cons

Hard-work, creativity and intelligence will go absolutely unnoticed. No opportunity for professional development. Pay is awful for staff (the majority of workers) but highly competitive for senior management. Zero work culture--it's not even good or bad, it's just non-existent. All departments hate each other/think the other departments are incompetent or intolerable. Your soul will die just a little bit each day the longer you work here.

Develop a "promote from within" approach to vacancies. Hire only people who are EXTREMELY interested in a career in international education, those tend to be the people who are happiest at IES. Organizational structure is a mess, has not changed in years, provides no opportunities, creates a divide among departments--you may want to hire professionals to assist.

Great People, Not Enough Room for Growth

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

So many talented, bright people work here - the co-workers are a major plus!

Cons

Not enough room for growth for younger leaders - it's mostly either entry-level or C-suite here.

Language Instructor and Program Coordinaor

Former Employee - Language Instructor and Program Coordinaor in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I worked at IES Abroad full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great coworkers, I enjoyed working with them! Every semester was a challenge and I always felt great sense of achievement at the graduation.

Cons

The salary does not match the time and effort I put into my work.

Good people on staff, but toxic management and culture

Current Employee - Associate in Chicago (Guatemala)
    Current Employee - Associate in Chicago (Guatemala)

I have been working at IES Abroad full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I love working with our international staff who we don't get to see often enough, only about once a year. And the work is sometimes interesting, though the longer you work with IES the more of the same work you get. If you are really lucky, you may get sent off to an international location, but for the great majority of us here, that is only wishful thinking.

Cons

There is no room for growth, especially for staff and lately there is something seriously wrong with the workplace culture here. It is supposed to be about "intercultural competence," but there is constant insensitivity to other cultures. The VP's hate each other and the CEO, and morale here is almost non-existent. HR is a real joke, unhelpful and they don't even show up to work sometimes.

Not sure what advice to give to management since they don't seem to want to be here either. Advice for people wanting to work here: do your homework, talk to some of us before starting here. The atmosphere is totally different than what they try to sell, and the pay is really low.

Fun, friendly, lo-key

I worked at IES Abroad as an intern

Pros

Lots of independence with assignments, relaxed, very friendly and passionate staff

Cons

Not a lot of direction with assignments, no clear start/end dates as a satellite intern, not a lot of communication from HQ