IG Group

Be The First To
Add Photos

IG Group CEO Tim Howkins

Tim Howkins

Great company, go work there if you can.

Sales (Former Employee) Portland, OR

ProsGreat place to work, I would reccomend anyone and everyone work there. Do you like to have fun then this should be a blast for

ConsLots of hours but well worth every minute. Be advised to have some fun when working and working. There is plenty of opportunity to groe too.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

management always guide to increase for sale goods ,create a project for all times

Branch Head (Current Employee) Delhi (India)

Prossecure of job,confidence to staff

Consnothing at all, every thing are fare

Advice to Senior Managementrespect to employee of hard-worker,and faithfullness

Growing company, not big enough to have lots of promotions but this allows for flat management structure and works!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) City of London, England (UK)

ProsEvery first friday of the month the whole company has drinks at the office.
    We have a pool table and wii/ps3 in the offices for all to use.
    Free Fresh fruit and fresh coffee for all.
    highly regarded staff attitude for pulling together int eh same direction.
    Everyone is friendlyand it;s a great atmosphere to worki n.

ConsSoftware company that is growing so it;s hasn;t got the opportunities for career progression that other larger companies offer. his is just because the company is small in comparison still.
    A lot of reviews on this site state this but I think it;s a good thing because if the company too large you lose the individuality.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep treating your employees brilliantly. Don't stop respecting their intelligence and lsiten to them every chance you have. Keep it up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work

Junior QA Tester (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsVery friendly environment and you get the other benefits of drinks once in a month.

ConsI don't think there is anything bad in this company

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work

Challenging and Friendly

Communications Executive (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGreat working culture, support when new, good level of training, possibility to move around within the business, good pay and perks, balance of work and play, met many lovely people

ConsSometimes lack of cohesion and structure on bigger projects, lots of pushing back on deadlines

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to all

client service

Client Service (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Prosgood company culture where the employee had good relationship with one another, the annual and christmas bonuses are great, good annual leave

Consnot much career development, lack of benefits eg medical leave, no marriage leave etc.

Good but not that good.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood group of colleagues. Nice perks e.g. monthly drinks, good bonuses.

ConsVery political, minimal communication with senior staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more regular feedback.

Learning experience but increasingly bureaucratic

Technical Team Lead (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome excellent tech people working here that you can really learn from.

Fast career development up to team lead due to very fast turnover of the better tech people.

Good offices. Good social scene. Work is genuinely fun.

ConsSenior management very out of touch with the jobs people are doing.

The release procedure belongs in about 1998. Takes until 8am quite regularly and you have to stay up all night to do it. Of course people make mistakes having been up all night and it frequently goes wrong. Releases are only monthly because the procedure is so painful. There are some efforts to fix this but bureaucracy slows everything down and it is still very far from best practice.

Not really embracing Agile. Eg, QA is a separate team, there aren't members of QA on a project team. Some QA is outsourced to India but for every pound it saves two are wasted on the inevitable misunderstanding that result from QA being 4,000 miles away and not sitting in any of the meetings. It is quite common to get into the office and spend your first two hours explaining why the bugs raised by India QA are based on misunderstandings of the solution rather than actual defects.

Business managers who oversee tech projects don't really make the decisions, they just try to sit inbetween do-ers and deciders. This makes for some very weird Chinese whisper type conversations. The company recognised this but their solution was insane - more project managers so that now there is an extra link in the Chinese whispers chain.

A lot of work is little more than vanity projects designed to make somebody senior feel special because he gets to sign some big cheques. These projects are always arranged so that reliable metrics on their effectiveness can not be gathered.

Projects started without knowing what the project is for. A purpose gets bolted on later.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou must know who the under-performers are in senior management. Get rid and replace with competent people. Empower teams. Don't talk about "innovation" as some mysterious abstract quality - actually foster innovation.

Turnover in IT is a big problem. It is just masked because the worse tech people stay for a long time. You're losing the best people because they can easily move on.

Let the people making the software talk directly to the people who want it to be made instead of jumping through so many weird hoops.

Great environment for learning

ProsLong sighted business strategy from management
    Talented people to work with
    God work life balance
    Flat structure

ConsDifficult to progress career internally, but for the most part this isn't an issue for me. Given the flat structure there would be no change in roles or responsibilities
    Out of hours support rota

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep i tup

7.5/10 - Work here but not for long. Stepping stone company for the young ambitious type.

ProsPeople work together and are very lovely to work with.
    Advanced tech.
    Medium to fair salary. IG want to say they pay like a bank but they don't.
    Good parties and monthly free drinks.

ConsRedundancies made but some middle managers remain. Costing the company 250k a year in salary etc.per person. Possibly a further round of redundancies needed to me made to the middle management not just the long running staff who hold the company up.
    Bonus pots seem like an old boys club, not linked to how well teams have done but restricted.
    High rate of attrition. People leave because there is no career prospects.

Advice to Senior ManagementSort out the end of year appraisal system. It's currently a joke.
    There is also less than zero career development paths for staff in Dev, Marketing and IT Prod.
    This is why people leave. Promote from within, even if it hurts.

Worked for IG Group? Contribute to the Community!