IGI Global

Updated Mar 17, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dr. Mehdi Khosrow-Pour

Low salaries and lack of respect by management

I worked at IGI Global full-time

ProsTried to make work easier for employess by updating software regularly; annual company picnic and christmas party to encourage team feeling.

ConsTreated employees like children - even on lunch hours employees not allowed to access personal email accounts; phone calls and emails monitored and read by management; constant layoffs of regular workers with replacement by 30 hr/wk in-huse$8 temps led to lack of feeling of job security; constant upheavals in management with neh hires from outside. Salaries were low and most employees were straight out of college. If a holiday fell on a weekend there was no guarantee of getting a day off in the week.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoyalty and respect towards employees goes a long way. Lack of it gets you unhappy employees. One picnic and pary a year does not get rid of the 363 days of

Potential for greatness. Main obstacle: the owner

I worked at IGI Global full-time for more than a year

ProsInternational publisher of content in dynamic, interesting, and relevant subject areas.

ConsToxic personality of the owner--own worst enemy. Seems to think that taking shortcuts on quality and "gaming the system" is necessary to success. This could be a great company if there were more of a commitment to long-term retention of good, career-caliber employees and higher standards of quality for the product. Classic example of shooting oneself in the foot.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop shooting yourself in the foot. Have respect for talented people who are dedicated to the industry and willing to work extraordinarily hard for the company's success. Give back to those, in the form of commitment during up-market periods and down-market periods, to those who give so much to you.

There are better opportunities out there

I worked at IGI Global full-time

ProsThe people, except upper management, are nice and helpful. I made few good friends that I hope to stay in contact with. It was also a nice thing to put on my resume.

ConsAfter at my year end review, I was informed I could negotiate my raise. I figured this would be more than okay since I had taken over a management role (although, to be fair, the turnover rate is very high, and I had only taken over it because my supervisor left and there was no on else). When I did this, however, my employment was terminated. Not much more to say than that...

Advice to Senior ManagementIf someone asks for a raise, you can just say "no." Termination of employment is not the answer.

Stay far away! Please trust me!

I worked at IGI Global full-time

ProsThe only good thing about the company is the sense of companionship between you and your fellow colleagues who are on the same level as you. I made some great friends while working here but even then, everyone else is too worried about themselves to truly look out for you.

ConsI was optimistic when I began my employment with IGI, but this feeling quickly went away. The turnover here is through the roof, unlike anything I have ever seen before. Quality of products is terrible due to lack of actual internal editing of material and half-assed work since employees are expected to pump out quantity, not quality. I could go on, but the worst part of the company is the management. There is absolutely ZERO respect from management. Almost everyone, except for higher management, of course, is EXTREMELY underpaid and overworked. You are expected to work extra hours for nothing in return. Think you will eventually get a raise after a while? Sure, if you can even call it that. You will barely make enough money to actually survive unless you live with someone else who pays almost all of your bills. Upper management sits up in their throne with more money than they know what to do with, while everyone who is working hard can barely get by. If I was a hiring manager with another company and saw IGI listed on someone's resume, I wouldn't even feel the need to ask why they left or are trying to leave the company. IGI has a terrible reputation and it has this reputation for a reason. I wish I would have took the reviews on here much more seriously before I got pulled into such a terrible, depression-invoking atmosphere, where employees only end up staying so that they have some sort of an income while looking for other jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementRESPECT and actually value your employees. They are the ones that are working day in and day out, trying to make the company a better place and you give them nothing in return. Each day, your employees have to tell themselves, "Well, maybe I will get an adequate raise soon that will make this job more bearable", and that obviously never happens. When you are seeing the turnover that is happening, it is for a reason. Pay people what they deserve and stop expecting everyone to drop their personal lives for this mediocre company when you aren't even compensating them properly.

Extremely poor ownership/management

Editorial (Former Employee)

I worked at IGI Global full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCrash course in the publishing industry, but comes at the cost of being treated unfairly by owner/management. Friendly co-workers who ultimately form a support group to make the work day bearable.

ConsThe owner lacks integrity and has no respect for employees. Turn over is extremely high due to inexperienced hires and very low wages. Benefits are minimal. Policies change constantly and environment is beyond hostile. No sense of security or true path for advancement. DO NOT WORK FOR IGI GLOBAL.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company would be better off acquired by a large corporate entity than to continue as it currently operates.

Nothing more than a Vanity Press

I worked at IGI Global full-time for more than a year

ProsFriendly co-workers and a nice, clean office building.

ConsPoorly edited textbooks and journals that mostly only professors (who are also contributors) purchase and make their unlucky students do the same. Poor compensation, although perhaps fair since most hires are very young and inexperienced. Unpredictable company President that springs termination on random people with good reviews and no previous warnings or write-ups.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake better decisions when you hire a Managing Director. Don't fire your most talented employees. Hire a more experienced staff. Turn up the thermostat in winter!

Its OK

Radnor, PA

I have been working at IGI Global

ProsOK to work and people are friendly

ConsNot so good on compensation, may be they need to increase salary benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementNot so good on compensation, may be they need to increase salary benefits

Disappointed with owner, management and respect from company

I have been working at IGI Global

ProsExposure to Publishing Industry and experience with copy editing or production of printed material. People are friendly, though overall clueless as they only hire people who are inexperienced.

ConsPoor management, the owner is crazy and unpredictable, especially when it comes to org chart and firing. They hire people for one job, then tell them they are working in another job once they show up. Poor pay and benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to increase salaries, and stop using new college grads as slave labor. Pay well and cultivate the talent you have so people stick around more than a year. You could have some great employees if you cared to use them without abusing them.

Worked for IGI Global? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IGI Global reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IGI Global CEO Dr. Mehdi Khosrow-Pour. All 8 reviews posted anonymously by IGI Global employees.