IGN Entertainment

IGN Entertainment Reviews

Updated Feb 11, 2014

IGN Entertainment President Roy Bahat

Roy Bahat

Pros:
  • "Get to work on video games and other entertainment medium"
    in 7 reviews
  • "I want to be cleear that there are plenty of reasons to want to work here"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management was poor in many areas"
    in 4 reviews
  • "random-seeming firings, in hiring negotiations make low-ball offers and in general show a shocking lack of respect"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Awesome - the only job I've ever had where I was passionate about the work, the people and the company mission

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsOpen access to senior management - every exec has an open door policy
Company sits at the intersection of tons of cool stuff - we have to be on top of everything going on in digital media, games, social, mobile etc. never a dull moment!
I'm surprised at some early reviews that downplay career mobility - top performers at IGN have huge opportunity to move up fast, and a bunch of folks have successfully changed functions (e.g. product to engineering, biz dev to general management)
Career upside is particularly true for technical talent - IGN is making big investments in the tech teams - we're just as much a technology company as a media company

ConsGetting better, but not a great place to get trained on business basics - we're moving fast and not a huge company, so you've got to be ready to hit the ground running
We're complex for our size, so you have to build and navigate cross-functional relationships to be successful (more a challenge than a con)

Advice to Senior ManagementShow your excitement about the direction of the business (even) more! Demonstrate that you guys are all working together for a common goal!

Love it....Love the people...love the culture....feel right at home

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsWe have the ability to do what we think is right and ask for forgiveness if we fail. Where else can you show up to work in flip flops and short, exercise your mind and truly be connected. You will have to carry me out in a body bag...ok, maybe not but I'm hooked and enjoy coming to work each day.

ConsNo bagels on Monday...
Commute can be long at times....

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doin' what you're doin' - we have come a long way and we have created an amazing place to work!

good teammates, but horrible management team

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IGN Entertainment

Pros- get to know the newest games in the market
- most of teammates are fun to work with
- location is great to access the different activities in the city

Cons- most of the mgmt team are the type of speaking louder than action
- head of yield mgmt likes to grab crebilities from his team members and kiss ass to the upper mgmt team

Great place to be!

Los Angeles, CA

ProsGreat people
Great product
Everyone there loves what they do and the passion is fun to be around

ConsLeadership is young and often times not able to make tough decisions

Crappy place to work at!

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at IGN Entertainment

ProsDecent benefits, nice office ambiance. If you like video games then you will not be bored at IGN. If not think hard about going there.

ConsIntense pressure that never seems to diminish no matter how hard someone has been working. Very poor planning and execution. Communication is frowned upon rather than being encouraged. Unidimensional approach to problem solving and obsession with fixing process problems by writing code which maybe completely unnecessary.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the compensation structure seriously. Also, try to get middle management some training or help in the art of management. It is not exactly the same thing as writing flawless code.

Direct supervisor is awesome...upper senior management could use some help.

Associate Project Manager (Current Employee)
Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsThis particular office likes to work hard and likes to party hard. My direct superior is great! I couldn't ask for a better boss and he is very flexible with everyone and only expects everyone to get their work done & isn't anal about when someone starts work or leaves.

ConsSome senior management could use some help in the honesty department & compensating their employees better.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe head of IGN can learn a thing or two about being more honest to everyone in the company when it comes to bonuses (or lack there of.) The current structure for how bonuses are paid out is not really realistic especially when a few small divisions always do well and others do not.

Improving but still has ways to go before becoming a good place to work at

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsOne gets to experience incredible pressure and real-world problems when faced with a site that gets tens of millions of hits each day.

ConsConstant firefights leave little room or time for self education. Poor management, processes and missing or lacking documentation make it a very stressful place to be in. Management communication skills can be laughable at times and despite some very smart people the inability to share knowledge coherently with co-workers can be a huge let down.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings have begun to improve at IGN of late but there is tons of improvement still required. Some of the senior people really need to be taught that communication is really the key to success when you have more than 1 person on a project. Also, pre-judging people on the basis of an isolated incident seems to be rooted in the culture at IGN. That is very counter-productive to employee morale and instead of spurring people on leads to them being demotivated.

Great place, great projects, and great people

Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsGet to work on leading edge projects that are very different than the run of the mill web projects.

ConsSometimes there are just too many things to do which is a good problem, but still a problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere aren't any I can think of...

It's stable, and that's something.

Associate Editor (Current Employee)

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsThe company has thus far proven stable in the scary economy. The compensation and benefits are solid. The atmosphere is pretty casual (sometimes to a fault).

ConsGeneral disorganization makes communication a problem, much of the staff is immature and cares little for doing quality work, a tendency to promote from within results in underqualified / apathetic people receiving management positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink more about quality. Think about how you can improve the quality of the company's offerings to make them more compelling to a wider audience and more satisfying for the staff to work on. Don't always aim for the lowest common denominator, despite how well it may have worked so far.

STAY AWAY

Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at IGN Entertainment

ProsThe only thing going in favor of IGN is the decent salary although that may not be true of all individuals. If you like working in a completely chaotic environment where you can get to play some video games at work this is the place for you. If you're interested in learning and career growth this is the last place you want to work at. Certainly not a place for anyone who's stepped out of the teenager mindset.

ConsComplete lack of order, non-existent information sharing or knowledge transfer to complete the troika of zero documentation, complete lack of cohesiveness from management, complete misfits in managerial roles, no comprehension of the importance of putting some processes in place.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease do not promote from within just because it is the easy thing to do. Usually the result is people who've no clue about management. Even if promoting from within is encouraged then try to get people some managerial skills by sending them to management classes or the like. Establish some order across the board - try to get some outside help to figure out how other media companies are run - CNET for instance. Hire more technical people and not just assistants to management in the form of product and project management teams. Try to find out how some of the people feel about the company - a little bit of introspection will not kill you.

Worked for IGN Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IGN Entertainment reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IGN Entertainment CEO Roy Bahat. All 58 reviews posted anonymously by IGN Entertainment employees.