IGN Entertainment Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Great teams with horrible leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Best coworkers that you're ever likely to get to work alongside in the trenches.

Cons

CEO Roy has little to no concept about what he's doing with the company. Anyone from the director level and above focuses only on what's above them and liberally abuses the heck out of the rank and file. most productive things get done in spite of management, not because of them. Poor compensation. Average to poor benefits relative to the bay area norm.

Advice to Management

Honestly, we should desperately a serious cleaning of house at the upper levels of management. Send them out the door and get people who truly understand the audience and the business opportunities we have before it's far too late.

2. The energy of a startup with the comfort of an established corporation, and video games everywhere.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The people are skilled at their trades and are rewarded for doing well. Employee happiness is regarded as an asset to the company, which gives the office a pleasant and productive atmosphere. The sounds floating around the office are symbiotic mixtures of high stakes decision-making, side-splitting laughter, and the orchestral melodies of Final Fantasy.

Cons

Short-term initiatives almost always trump the improvement of the overall system infrastructure, from an engineering and operational standpoint. This causes a lot of recklessly duct taping new ideas to the brand, and hacking new functionality to old code. IGN could be, and deserves to be, cleaner and classier than it currently is. This is known within the company, but progress in that direction is slow.

Advice to Management

Don't allow anything less than really awesome to hit the users of IGN. Everything should be discussed all the way down to the pixel. And the coffee machine could be tastier.

Great co-workers but terrible management!

Former Employee - Accounting Department in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Accounting Department in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Everyone that works there (below management) is awesome. Everyone is really friendly and works hard for each other so their teammates don't have to stay any later.

Cons

Specifically for the accounting department: - The whole department is falling apart. Notice the many openings at this time. - Quantity of work you get done is far outweighed over quality. The management pushes you into the wee hours of the night when you can't think straight anymore, therefore the work performed is never the best. - Working 11-15 hours has become the standard rather than a reason for praise. The whole department stays late. - No appreciation will be shown and if you miss a deadline, you will have to have a meeting about it - Everything is disorganized: no formal plan is ever made, random things will get thrown at the employees with no explanation, and meetings constantly get pushed back or don't even take place at all (so you can never plan for the day let alone an hour). - The processes are manual and not automated to the tune of industry standards as the dept is so short staffed, no one has time to think about it.

Advice to Management

- Thank you and small acts of appreciation can go a long way - Get organized and come up with a plan and account for unexpected items. - Look to make processes more automated - Find money in the budget for the appropriate amount of staff and stop worrying about the bottom line!

Let's Get Better

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Feels like a start up.

Cons

No start up payout. No place to offer constructive feedback. Need more employee input.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people. Ask questions and do not assume to know their jobs unless you really dig deeper.

I have a great opportunity to try different projects at IGN, get helpful feedback, and enjoy my time with colleagues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Co-workers are friendly and the open work environment and multiple common areas make it easy to interact with each other. Ability to get your ideas heard. We use Yammer in the office, which is a direct line to the leadership and influencers within the company. If you have a great idea, you'll get it heard here. Office activities. Something new is always going on at the office. Whether it's a happy hour in the game room, our speaker series, or after work festivities, there's never a dull day.

Cons

No free lunch. The area has plenty of great food but you won't find free meals at IGN. On-site parking lot is super tight, dings highly likely.

Advice to Management

Speak positively of other groups and approach interactions with a mind toward doing the right thing for IGN. The less time spent politicking, the more time spent killing it for IGN.

7. I have found my Bliss at IGN

Current Employee - Account Executive NW Brand Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive NW Brand Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I want to be cleear that there are plenty of reasons to want to work here. This is the first company I have ever worked at that has appreciated me for being me; in all my flamboyant glory. This is a company that was built and maintained by people that are PASSIONATE about the company and the industry. I have grown personally, and professionally at a company where the President encourages MY input. He continues to make me believe that I can make a difference as an individual, even in areas of business that have nothing to do with my role. All that, plus the PEOPLE at IGN have the potential to make magic happen. If you have something to prove and you aren't afraid of getting down and dirty doing what you love, then apply. If you are just looking to pay off some college loans and don't truly CARE about all this, then keep looking.

Cons

The only downside I can think of to working here is also on of the Pros. The people that make this company what it is makes it very tough for some of us to move on. This makes the prospect for career growth a little long haul-ish. You are never going to make enough money. The key to happiness in life is to make the most out of however much you make. I'd rather be happy!

Advice to Management

As we endeavor to further streamline the process, make sure that these changes don't come at the cost of people. Acknoledge the employees that make a conscious decision to continue at IGN. That decision comes at a price, and it would be nice if we were acknowledged for that loyalty as much as the search for new talent was evangelized. It would do soooo much for the morale of some departments.

8. Awesome people, cool place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company definitely has a casual, gamer vibe to it. People stay late not because they have to, but because they want to. Considering it's a seasoned internet brand, it's pretty amazing how much hunger and drive for reinvention exists at IGN. The switch in leadership a few years back has brought some really fresh ideas to the company and encouraged the established content and engineering leaders to do great, new stuff.

Cons

Some of the old tech infrastructure (still) impacts experimentation and innovation.

Advice to Management

Keep on challenging what IGN once stood for and continue to experiment with what it will stand for one day.

9. IGN does video games, has a great culture and is focused on innovation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Freedom to innovate. Failure is seen as evidence that you are attempting to kill status-quo for the better. If you're up to it, there is a real opportunity to act as an entrepreneur inside of IGN. At IGN it's all about providing value to people that play video games. If you're a gamer, it's just fun to work at IGN.

Cons

Although IGN is #1 in gaming category on the internet games are changing in big ways and IGN needs to keep up.

Advice to Management

Work on communicating the long term vision for the company. The context of where we're going together is not well understood by everyone.

10. Awesome - the only job I've ever had where I was passionate about the work, the people and the company mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Open access to senior management - every exec has an open door policy Company sits at the intersection of tons of cool stuff - we have to be on top of everything going on in digital media, games, social, mobile etc. never a dull moment! I'm surprised at some early reviews that downplay career mobility - top performers at IGN have huge opportunity to move up fast, and a bunch of folks have successfully changed functions (e.g. product to engineering, biz dev to general management) Career upside is particularly true for technical talent - IGN is making big investments in the tech teams - we're just as much a technology company as a media company

Cons

Getting better, but not a great place to get trained on business basics - we're moving fast and not a huge company, so you've got to be ready to hit the ground running We're complex for our size, so you have to build and navigate cross-functional relationships to be successful (more a challenge than a con)

Advice to Management

Show your excitement about the direction of the business (even) more! Demonstrate that you guys are all working together for a common goal!

Fun in the beginning, poor in the end

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working with the people was an enjoyment as well as being in the game community. The common goal towards improving IGN was something worth coming in for.

Cons

Senior management was poor in many areas. Some should not even be in their roles. Most are failing but the higher ups choose to turn a blind eye to it. To many silos and finger pointing. You can see how groups are not working for the benefit of IGN but the benefit of themselves. Lack of focus and communication on what IGN needs to become and how to get there.

Advice to Management

Adjust the leadership quickly when there are clear signs they are poor for their department and lack the skills to drive their teams. There are Directors and VPs in spots that they should not be. Instead of keeping the pople that mattered and would truly help the company grow you continue to let them leave while hanging on to those who show no real ability to lead or have an understanding on what they are doing. Do a true review of the departments and see what the employees truly think. I would guarantee certain groups would state the issues with their leaders if they knew their voice would truly be heard and something would happen.

RSS Feed </> Embed