IGN Entertainment

3.4

IGN Entertainment General Manager Damon Johnson
Damon Johnson
1 Rating

Pros
  • Get to work on video games and other entertainment medium (in 7 reviews)

• most of teammates are fun to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management was poor in many areas (in 4 reviews)

• random-seeming firings, in hiring negotiations make low-ball offers and in general show a shocking lack of respect (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

I have found my Bliss at IGN

Current Employee - Account Executive NW Brand Sales  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive NW Brand Sales in San Francisco, CA

Pros

I want to be cleear that there are plenty of reasons to want to work here. This is the first company I have ever worked at that has appreciated me for being me; in all my flamboyant glory. This is a company that was built and maintained by people that are PASSIONATE about the company and the industry. I have grown personally, and professionally at a company where the President encourages MY input. He continues to make me believe that I can make a difference as an individual, even in areas of business that have nothing to do with my role.

All that, plus the PEOPLE at IGN have the potential to make magic happen.

If you have something to prove and you aren't afraid of getting down and dirty doing what you love, then apply.

If you are just looking to pay off some college loans and don't truly CARE about all this, then keep looking.

Cons

The only downside I can think of to working here is also on of the Pros. The people that make this company what it is makes it very tough for some of us to move on. This makes the prospect for career growth a little long haul-ish.

You are never going to make enough money. The key to happiness in life is to make the most out of however much you make.

I'd rather be happy!

As we endeavor to further streamline the process, make sure that these changes don't come at the cost of people.

Acknoledge the employees that make a conscious decision to continue at IGN. That decision comes at a price, and it would be nice if we were acknowledged for that loyalty as much as the search for new talent was evangelized. It would do soooo much for the morale of some departments.

I have a great opportunity to try different projects at IGN, get helpful feedback, and enjoy my time with colleagues.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great work atmosphere. Co-workers are friendly and the open work environment and multiple common areas make it easy to interact with each other.
    Ability to get your ideas heard. We use Yammer in the office, which is a direct line to the leadership and influencers within the company. If you have a great idea, you'll get it heard here.
    Office activities. Something new is always going on at the office. Whether it's a happy hour in the game room, our speaker series, or after work festivities, there's never a dull day.

Cons

No free lunch. The area has plenty of great food but you won't find free meals at IGN.
    On-site parking lot is super tight, dings highly likely.

Speak positively of other groups and approach interactions with a mind toward doing the right thing for IGN. The less time spent politicking, the more time spent killing it for IGN.

Awesome people, cool place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

The company definitely has a casual, gamer vibe to it. People stay late not because they have to, but because they want to. Considering it's a seasoned internet brand, it's pretty amazing how much hunger and drive for reinvention exists at IGN. The switch in leadership a few years back has brought some really fresh ideas to the company and encouraged the established content and engineering leaders to do great, new stuff.

Cons

Some of the old tech infrastructure (still) impacts experimentation and innovation.

Keep on challenging what IGN once stood for and continue to experiment with what it will stand for one day.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IGN does video games, has a great culture and is focused on innovation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Freedom to innovate. Failure is seen as evidence that you are attempting to kill status-quo for the better. If you're up to it, there is a real opportunity to act as an entrepreneur inside of IGN.

At IGN it's all about providing value to people that play video games. If you're a gamer, it's just fun to work at IGN.

Cons

Although IGN is #1 in gaming category on the internet games are changing in big ways and IGN needs to keep up.

Work on communicating the long term vision for the company. The context of where we're going together is not well understood by everyone.

Awesome - the only job I've ever had where I was passionate about the work, the people and the company mission

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Open access to senior management - every exec has an open door policy
    Company sits at the intersection of tons of cool stuff - we have to be on top of everything going on in digital media, games, social, mobile etc. never a dull moment!
    I'm surprised at some early reviews that downplay career mobility - top performers at IGN have huge opportunity to move up fast, and a bunch of folks have successfully changed functions (e.g. product to engineering, biz dev to general management)
    Career upside is particularly true for technical talent - IGN is making big investments in the tech teams - we're just as much a technology company as a media company

Cons

Getting better, but not a great place to get trained on business basics - we're moving fast and not a huge company, so you've got to be ready to hit the ground running
    We're complex for our size, so you have to build and navigate cross-functional relationships to be successful (more a challenge than a con)

Show your excitement about the direction of the business (even) more! Demonstrate that you guys are all working together for a common goal!

Fun in the beginning, poor in the end

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Working with the people was an enjoyment as well as being in the game community. The common goal towards improving IGN was something worth coming in for.

Cons

Senior management was poor in many areas. Some should not even be in their roles. Most are failing but the higher ups choose to turn a blind eye to it.

To many silos and finger pointing. You can see how groups are not working for the benefit of IGN but the benefit of themselves.

Lack of focus and communication on what IGN needs to become and how to get there.

Adjust the leadership quickly when there are clear signs they are poor for their department and lack the skills to drive their teams. There are Directors and VPs in spots that they should not be. Instead of keeping the pople that mattered and would truly help the company grow you continue to let them leave while hanging on to those who show no real ability to lead or have an understanding on what they are doing.

Do a true review of the departments and see what the employees truly think. I would guarantee certain groups would state the issues with their leaders if they knew their voice would truly be heard and something would happen.

Love it....Love the people...love the culture....feel right at home

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

We have the ability to do what we think is right and ask for forgiveness if we fail. Where else can you show up to work in flip flops and short, exercise your mind and truly be connected. You will have to carry me out in a body bag...ok, maybe not but I'm hooked and enjoy coming to work each day.

Cons

No bagels on Monday...
    Commute can be long at times....

Keep doin' what you're doin' - we have come a long way and we have created an amazing place to work!

Worked for IGN Entertainment? Contribute to the Community!