IGS Energy Reviews

Wasted time...

Former Employee - Direct Customer Representative
    Former Employee - Direct Customer Representative

I worked at IGS Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Loved my co-workers. They were a good group of guys to hang out with on the way to towns we knocked doors in. Going into the field I met a lot of interesting people.

Cons

Wasn't paid for many deals I thought I was getting credit for. I was told our cancellation rate would be around 35%, but after a few months I was told it was actually 65%. There are too many stipulations and small errors that will cost you deals. The weather could be really brutal at times,and so could some of the customers, but that's just the nature of the job.

Be more scrupulous with who you contract your sales management to.

Scam alert.

Former Employee - Trainee  in  San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Trainee in San Jose, CA

I worked at IGS Energy as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Working with people is always a rewarding experience and tough sales jobs such as this certainly offer the opportunity for personal growth and if you can hack it, hone the skills necessary to succeed in the sales market.

Cons

This company hires on employees under the pretense that you are to be a trainee for management. I was hired as an independent contractor and this is how they get you... you have to work 6 days a week, 8 hours a day, with no base pay, and for commissions only. The average worker that I have seen makes 3 sales a day and is compensated $10 per sale.

In the interview and pep talks after being hired, it was stated that they are looking for people who had not gone to college and have no prior experience in business so that they could "mold them". It became very clear that they had hand picked those that were desperate and/or had not furthered their education. They offer no benefits, no overtime pay, no compensation pay for gas (since it is door to door sales and you carpool around with your fellow co-workers often times in your own vehicle for great distances), no consistent sales training, no managerial training, and no cross training of any sort. Every so often a guest speaker comes in to make more promises and keep you motivated.

It was obvious to me that they are manipulating the social networks of the "trainees" with promise of advancement. The language used to keep people selling is very cult like in its execution and intent. They even make a regular speech about how your friends and family will doubt you, your job, how they want to hold you back and keep you down... and how you just have to keep with it to reap the benefits. To illustrate the use of my metaphor; after coming to my senses I was greeted with anger and hurt feelings when attempting to bring the facts of our job to my co-workers.

It is partially true about advancement. If you somehow manage to do decent with sales, and keep a roof over your head with food on your plate, you will get to open your own branch...And you will be expected to recruit a new batch of "trainees" to go out and make sales that you will then receive commissions on. In other words, you go from being manipulated to being the manipulator.

In effort of full disclosure as to the dangers of accepting work here with high hopes; there are 40 people in the training program in San Jose. All are told that they will receive their own branch to manage. However, the bay area is only so big. Where are these people going to open up a branch? You are told you can move to other states that have deregulated natural gas...but on what income will any of them be able to afford a move to another state, or even a different city?

This job is a scam. Please heed my warning and stay away!

Treat your employees with the respect they deserve and pay them fairly for their efforts to further the company.

Previously wonderful company has stopped caring about customers and employees

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dublin, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dublin, OH

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Competitive pay and interesting work

Cons

Management, employee loyalty-they have no loyalty to hard-working, loyal employees. They love nepotism. When they started they were amazing and customer and employee centered. They have become obsessed with money and have stooped to practices that they once publicly criticized other companies for practicing. Their moral compass has become very skewed.

Fire some of the newer upper management employees that have skewed your focus and return to the core values you once held.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Drink the Kool Aid

I worked at IGS Energy

Pros

Cafeteria that is on site is ok and they have a small gym

Cons

Hire young people
    Long hours expected
    attendance policy
    Don't listen to employees concerns

More Diversity in hiring

I was misinformed of the products, therefore involuntarily lied to people

Former Employee - Energy Consultant  in  Modesto, CA
    Former Employee - Energy Consultant in Modesto, CA

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

The money was there, just out of reach. They put you up in 2 bed hotel rooms...3 or 4 to a room...

Cons

They lied to me completely. I was misinformed of the reading of energy bills, so I thought i was saving people money, but really I was raising their rate. I have recieved angry calls from customers who have my personal line...ugh. a nightmare.

Needs to be more professional in dealing with customers and employees ,

I worked at IGS Energy

Pros

Very modern office with gorgeous work spaces

Cons

Interdepartmental arguing, no guidelines to help managers be successful. Interdepartmental arguing over things that doe not impact the bottom line is a waste of time. Very high turnover.

Listen to employees on all levels, create paths toward success. Believe in each other.

Not Great

Former Employee - Field Agent  in  Boardman, OH
    Former Employee - Field Agent in Boardman, OH

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for less than a year

Pros

Talking to people, Exercise, walking Alot, Got Breaks

Cons

Not making money, rude People, Cops, feeling like i worked for free.

Energy Broker

Former Employee - Energy Broker  in  Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Energy Broker in Cleveland, OH

I worked at IGS Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting new and interesting people.

Cons

Commission based. Long work hours.

Employees needs are important.

Working Man's Workman

Current Employee - Energy Broker  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Energy Broker in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at IGS Energy full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Opportunity to meet new people.

Cons

Commissioned based. You don't work, you don't make money.

Manage like you would liked to be managed.

iT WAS VERY GOOD!!

Former Employee - Home Energy Sales
    Former Employee - Home Energy Sales

I worked at IGS Energy full-time

Pros

They took the time to train you about the product you were selling. Pay. Benefits.

Cons

This was a sales job, and even though they took the time to work with everyone individually, it felt like you didn't always get the feedback you needed.

Worked for IGS Energy? Contribute to the Community!