IHOP

IHOP Reviews

Updated Jul 23, 2014

IHOP Chairman and CEO of DineEquity, Inc. Julia A. Stewart

Julia A. Stewart

Pros
  • The location is nice, the food is good(in 9 reviews)

• fun environment and flexible hours(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, sometimes time can run away with you(in 9 reviews)

• Upper management continue to change policies at will(in 5 reviews)

great for a college student

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible Schedule, Ok tips, 24 hours

Consfood it a bit greasy for my taste

High school all over again

Server/Cashier (Current Employee) Orlando, FL

ProsThey work with your scheduled if your a student or have other responsible 50% discount if eat in 20% discount if you take it Togo

ConsManager blamed you for the Cooks mistake, talk to you like your a child, not enough table, tables and bigger parties goes to the server that he likes

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to treat people like human being

Overnight Waitress at IHOP

Server (Former Employee) Miami, FL

ProsYou have the opportunity to meet many interesting people from the staff (your managers, the cooks, the other servers) and from the customers. I met some good friends while working here. From that aspect, it was fun and exciting to see what new things or people could happen everyday. It was also a thrill to be able to get cash in a fast way as as server.

ConsI worked the overnight shift, so this meant a lot of down-sides:

1. The schedule for my personal life become off and it was hard to keep a "normal" life of balancing my friends or family. You come to learn that people do things in the day time and it's not normal to live your life at night (even on your days off).

2. Management refused to move me to any other shift and this made me resentful, so I just quit.

3. The manager for my store, in particular, was lazy and pushed their work onto the assistant manager instead. No one in the staff liked watching this.

4. There is no rule that exists for tipping or any gratuity. I remember once serving a table with over 20 people for an hour with a bill of over $100 and they left me a $6 tip. I was only focusing on their table for a full hour and they still did this. I think it's very frustrating and aggravating when customers don't understand or care that they needed to tip.

5. Working the overnight shift is similar to working at a bar, i.e., you get a lot of inebriated customers. This can be either a good or a bad thing, but generally, working overnight is a lot like working at a bar. You will never know what happens from night to night.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to take into account that they need to hire managers that have genuine restaurant experience. Even if it means hiring from within the company, such as someone who's worked there for 5 to 10 years, this is far better than hiring someone who is a college graduate with no prior restaurant experience.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overworked and Under appriciated

Assistant General Manager (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsFree Food, good benefits, promotion rate

ConsHours, Stress, Upper management, time off policy, limited number of managers, work life balance

Advice to Senior ManagementChange

Wonderful first job as a hostess

Hostess (Former Employee) Picayune, MS

ProsI got free food and the people I got to work with were very nice. It was a great first job

ConsIt would get so busy you'd get overwhelmed and extremely hot. Plus if it wasn't busy then your hours would get cut.

Advice to Senior ManagementI really feel like upper management did the best they could do.

Workerd for 2 years

Food Server (Former Employee) Chesapeake, VA

ProsFast pace. Good tips. Good enviorment.

ConsSide work may sometimes make you think it's not worth the pay.

Frustrating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosfun environment and flexible hours.

ConsEveryone was burnt out and didn't care anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to breath life into people without cutting them everyday when it get's slow only to complain that you're the only one in the back when the rush an hour later hits.

Supervisor

ProsGreat work family and make a decent income. Especially when waitressing. You also get a lot of regulars and build a client base which is nice. It is also pleasant to work mornings so similar to a 9-5 job but only I get out by 3pm or so.

ConsSince the income is hourly plus tips, out hourly pay is pretty low. A lot of time you get really cheap or ghetto people who do not tip properly. This stinks because our income is based off of our tips so if we do not get tipped we are not exactly making money. Having to work weekends also sucks.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on rewards rather than punishing. Appreciate staff more.

Great customer service experience.

Server (Current Employee) Culpeper, VA

ProsVery sociable area everyone works well together.

ConsWorking on your service time, sometimes you get caught up in the moment of the busy time.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery sociable have management past experience so know what to look for stand out attitude.

Hosting with IHOP

Hostess (Current Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent for the job you do. The managers make sure you get a break and have your back with unruly customers.

ConsSometimes management has a problem finding people to fill in shifts quickly, leaving those working short-staffed.

Advice to Senior ManagementPerhaps a little more training for newer fires.

Worked for IHOP? Contribute to the Community!