IHS

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
3.1

Scott Key

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events (in 12 reviews)

• Buddy system in LOB upper management promotes themselves even with poor performance results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

I have been working at IHS

Pros

Growing Company with lots of money

Cons

Very aggressive growth expectation, high stress.

KAM key account manager- EEOM

I have been working at IHS

Pros

money-reputation-quality-size-stature-------words -words why are you not reading tis correctly

Cons

pressure-managment- budgets- to many managers

Great people to work with, questionable management structure

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, flexible work groups and terrific managers. Employees that have a good manager are properly taken care of and appreciated. The offices, outside of the budgeting process, are left to manage themselves.

Cons

Some rigid management structure. HR policies not as employee friendly as at previous companies that IHS acquired. The company does well enough when it is hands off but rubs people the wrong way when they tend to micromanage. Everything is done with an eye toward the stock price and that includes ticking off customers will large price increases every year. Company should strive to give more value and the revenue will follow. More career opportunities are needed employees that are not working under a good manager. Getting recognized in the company is wholly dependent on your manager "fighting" for you during budget process.

Vacation policy is outdated and does more to tick people off than anything else.

Great internship experience

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at IHS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very interesting work. They give interns real work, and the learning curve is quite steep. Interns will pick up very useful skills and general knowledge.

Cons

Pay is on the lower side, and sitting in a cubicle all day is tough sometimes. The work is sometimes a bit monotonous as well.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Market leader in the products and services they provide. Great people. Lot's of room for growth. Competitive compensation and the best benefits on the market today. Low cost of benefits to the employee.

Cons

Focus on training of employees. Focus on organic growth. Re-focus on Marketing. Overall this is a great place to work.

Keep focusing on organic growth. It will benefit everyone, including employees, management, customers, stock holders,

Many lines of business, the one i worked for was turbulent

I worked at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the LOB I worked for - good colleagues, good salary and benefits, flexible working conditions as long as you got your work done.

Cons

My LOB had frequent management and policy changes. Buddy system in LOB upper management promotes themselves even with poor performance results. Targets and goals changed quarterly chasing a lofty revenue number the LOB had no way of meeting. If you know management and are hired by them you've got a chance, otherwise you're an outsider and your days are numbered.

You were formed through acquisition and have had poor results to date, you will soon be divested.

Software Engineer

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, room for improvements in processes, open mindedness, and intelligent professionals.

Cons

Need to improve stability and support change to internal staff for reassurance.

Got the offer, turned it down

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at IHS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Spoke to one person there who seemed very smart and as a senior manager as well. See cons on the latter.

Company is a well established (old) conglomerate. It is probably stable.

Cons

As a contractor, I was offered work there and turned it down. At the end of the interview with the manager whom I would have reported to, I asked how I did and for feedback. He laughed smiled and said "you did great." When hearing back from the recruiter that they wanted to bring me on board the recruiter indicated that the very same manager was concerned I "might not be a cultural fit." This was surprising given that in our face to face meeting he expressed no concern or indication of an issue to address. This told me that I was dealing with a two-faced manager, which is something one should avoid. I assume it also means that in terms of culture, saying one thing to someone's face and something different behind their back is a part of the culture.

Good people choose the company they work for in much the same way companies, good or otherwise, want to choose employees.You need to do as good a job in presenting your company as you expect a prospective candidate to do in presenting themselves. It starts with honesty and integrity. If you cannot be honest and forthright in an interview, offering them a position will only result in them discovering they've made a mistake and deciding to leave.

Likewise, if you have a concern in interviewing someone, it is best to bring it up to address at the time. If you say someone did well and you want them on board and then tell someone else that it's with provisos because of a "cultural fit" conern, this is inherently dishonest and the position itself is suspect as is any manager who does these kinds of things.

Multi-Technicial company into 5 or 6 differenrt fields

Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at IHS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good benefits and bonus plan

Cons

Very large company alot of opportunties in Houston, Tx not in the DFW area.

High growth seeking opportunities to outsource operations.

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at IHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, time-off, relaxed environment.

Cons

Poor communication, minimal salary increases, lot's of pointing the finger

More transparency and better programs for promoting from within.