IHS
www.ihs.com Englewood, CO 5000+ Employees

IHS Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Scott Key

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks"
    in 22 reviews
  • "Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events"
    in 11 reviews
  • "No career advancement to senior management for Chinese"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Ok place to work, but not ideal for middle management

ProsFlexible schedule, great people in the day to day environment, beautiful offices

ConsSenior management makes it difficult to do day to day jobs; always concerned more about the bottom line and savings than the people and the processes. Technology is way behind and always trying to catch up cheaply

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your middle management, provide better incentives, and provide more training. Technology needs to get to speed sooner rather than later. INVEST in the people and the technology, not just Senior Vice Presidents.

Nice yet boring

Upstream Analyst (Former Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsIt is a good company with great people

ConsBut the work is limited and dull

Wonderful place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat place to work and very nice offices

Consuntil they remodeled the offices place was kinda dingy

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting but not worth the stress.

Finance (Current Employee)
    Englewood, CO

ProsThe compensation is the best I have ever received in the finance field. The PTO, sick time, and even a volunteer day off are great. I like the transparency finance meetings held every quarter though I know we are not told everything.

ConsUpper management is a joke. It's not about taking care of your employees it's about who you can step on to get there. We promote people who have no business being in a position of power. Even promoting colleagues in my department who have badmouthed other colleagues in the same department and said they want to get rid of them. That should be a red flag that they don't deserve the job.
    Work load is high and when asked for help we are told to get over it and deal with it.
    Programs and processes put into place without ever asking those who are going to use it for input. When we bring up problems or issues the response is, "this is how it is so get over it and move on".
    Communication is non-existent. We are only told things once it has already happened and even then at times only when someone stumbles upon it.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterview team members before promoting. Just because a colleague can put on a good act and face to management does not mean they are that way with team members. Work on communication. Nothing around here is communicated well or even most of the time at all.

Not a bad place, but not great

Senior Analyst II (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGreat work life balance; easy going company; good vacation, decent pay for the responsibilities.

ConsRaises are limited to 2 - 4% a year even if you do a great job.; company is very large, thus most of the people you will know and hang out with are just in your immediate department. Management pushes you to drink the "Kool Aid"

Advice to Senior ManagementLay off the VMV tours as it is an unnecessary cost.

Good work/life balance

Operations Manager (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood work/life balance. Encouraged to leave early one day if you worked extra on another day. When my work day is done, I don't have to keep thinking about it. Rarely need to take work home or work on the weekends.

ConsLack of career development opportunities. Lots of acquisitions that aren't being integrated. Too many mid-level managers that came from previous acquisitions but no longer contribute actual managerial duties. Merit raises are set very low, even on years when the company exceeds its Wall St. expectations. Stock awards are given, but don't vest for a year, so if you leave before the year, you get nothing.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop clear career development paths. Stop restricting travel/conference attendance for analysts actually working on products while constantly awarding trips, bonuses, etc. to only the sales team. Without the information and research, the sales team wouldn't have anything to sell. The analysts deserve recognition too.

Good culture, but constant change and inefficient systems

Senior Analyst II (Current Employee)
    Washington, DC

ProsGreat people, supportive and collegial culture, focus mostly where it should be (on clients) rather than purely on quarterly earnings (though in a public company that is of course inescapable).

ConsBureaucracy, lack of full integration of acquisitions before moving on to the next one, so overlapping systems and confusing hierarchy.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou now have way too many top level people from previous acquisitions that need to be given "senior" roles. Want to cut costs without impacting productivity? Give a few of these people the boot.

Great Company

ProsGreat people to work with. Very Friendly and have a company culture (in Calgary) that is second to none. They give you 3 volunteer days a year to be out in the community giving back. And very much promote a healthy work life balance. They focus on putting the customer first in all that they do and have company values that can be seen at work everyday.

ConsLike any big company comes the red tape. At times it can be slow to get change pushed through which if you are not use to it can be frustrating.

So far, positive work experience at IHS

Sales Executive (Current Employee)

ProsGood & intelligent people, flexible work schedule, treated like an adult without micromanagement, compensation with annual stock awards

ConsNumerous acquisitions, which makes for constant change and difficult for processes and systems to align, non-strategic office locations in some major US cities or lack thereof, large company so takes longer to execute initiatives

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep paying attention to employee feedback and engagement

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

No communication

ProsCannot think of one always something bad happens every day. They do not any clue on the running this business.

ConsBack stabbing, no communication, no raises, lies, just a terrible place to work. Thank you Scott key

Advice to Senior ManagementNo lies tell us the truth.

Worked for IHS? Contribute to the Community!

IHS Videos

IHS – Why Work for Us?

At IHS, we are Advancing Decisions that Advance the World™. Our team of more than 8,000 global colleagues is comprised of world renowned experts who thrive in our dynamic, diverse, fast-growing environment. IHS at a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IHS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IHS CEO Scott Key. All 214 reviews posted anonymously by IHS employees.