IHS Reviews

Updated September 30, 2014
Updated September 30, 2014

Scott Key

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks (in 30 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events (in 12 reviews)

• Work/life balance is non-existent once you get to a certain level within the company - they own you (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great people to work with, questionable management structure

Current Employee - Principal Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance, flexible work groups and terrific managers. Employees that have a good manager are properly taken care of and appreciated. The offices, outside of the budgeting process, are left to manage themselves.

Cons

Some rigid management structure. HR policies not as employee friendly as at previous companies that IHS acquired. The company does well enough when it is hands off but rubs people the wrong way when they tend to micromanage. Everything is done with an eye toward the stock price and that includes ticking off customers will large price increases every year. Company should strive to give more value and the revenue will follow. More career opportunities are needed employees that are not working under a good manager. Getting recognized in the company is wholly dependent on your manager "fighting" for you during budget process.

Vacation policy is outdated and does more to tick people off than anything else.

Software Engineer

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility, room for improvements in processes, open mindedness, and intelligent professionals.

Cons

Need to improve stability and support change to internal staff for reassurance.

High growth seeking opportunities to outsource operations.

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at IHS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good work-life balance, time-off, relaxed environment.

Cons

Poor communication, minimal salary increases, lot's of pointing the finger

More transparency and better programs for promoting from within.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Multi-Technicial company into 5 or 6 differenrt fields

Former Employee - Analyst  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

I worked at IHS full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits and bonus plan

Cons

Very large company alot of opportunties in Houston, Tx not in the DFW area.

Got the offer, turned it down

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at IHS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Spoke to one person there who seemed very smart and as a senior manager as well. See cons on the latter.

Company is a well established (old) conglomerate. It is probably stable.

Cons

As a contractor, I was offered work there and turned it down. At the end of the interview with the manager whom I would have reported to, I asked how I did and for feedback. He laughed smiled and said "you did great." When hearing back from the recruiter that they wanted to bring me on board the recruiter indicated that the very same manager was concerned I "might not be a cultural fit." This was surprising given that in our face to face meeting he expressed no concern or indication of an issue to address. This told me that I was dealing with a two-faced manager, which is something one should avoid. I assume it also means that in terms of culture, saying one thing to someone's face and something different behind their back is a part of the culture.

Good people choose the company they work for in much the same way companies, good or otherwise, want to choose employees.You need to do as good a job in presenting your company as you expect a prospective candidate to do in presenting themselves. It starts with honesty and integrity. If you cannot be honest and forthright in an interview, offering them a position will only result in them discovering they've made a mistake and deciding to leave.

Likewise, if you have a concern in interviewing someone, it is best to bring it up to address at the time. If you say someone did well and you want them on board and then tell someone else that it's with provisos because of a "cultural fit" conern, this is inherently dishonest and the position itself is suspect as is any manager who does these kinds of things.

Fantastic company..frustrating product to sell!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time for less than a year

Pros

The culture is great. Friendly, sharp, intelligent co-workers. Great benefits and internal communication.

Cons

My training was unorganized. So was the structure in terms of having a functioning sales target list. Confused and complicated value prop, no marketing support, and very expensive product that I was trying to sell to a market that is used to much lower pricing.

Have a better organized sales plan for the next guy.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Very flexible with regards to hours and time off. Supportive direct supervisor and is there when needed to remove roadblocks. The pay and benefits (minus dental - see Cons) is very marketable. The office space is very modern and convenient. Most supportive of promoting work-life balance. There are plenty of opportunities within the company so if you grow tired of an existing role, the opportunity exists to change and stay within the company.

Cons

The dental insurance can be slightly improved, but that may just be because my dentist is not in the network. Given that the company is so large, there are times when it is hard to get things done when responsibilities fall outside the scope of our team.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Good place to work if you’re flexible and self-directed.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than a year

Pros

It’s the best place I’ve worked for years that allows employees to do their job. Employees can make a lot of decisions about what they do and how they do it. There are some very smart and innovative people here – that thrive in this environment. Those same people contribute amazing work. Management (not all managers) tend to get out of the way rather than direct. This style does contribute to a more silo’d work environment, and hence may not be a good fit for everyone.

IHS may be a challenge for some people who want to talk about what they do with monosyllables. It’s a complex and shifting environment. I like that the organization I work for is doing many things at once, and moving quickly.

Cons

Politics are more evident among higher ranks. While employees are empowered, sometimes that means that they are on their own. The worst (for me) is the new ‘bench’ seating. Try comparing several technical diagrams while listening to conference calls on one side and shouted alerts on the other. (One humorous note -- I have a coworker who sings along with her music. We can’t hear the music, but just got a rousing chorus of “Show Me the Way”.) The bench seating would have been a factor in my decision to apply here if I’d known it was in the works.

Great employer

Current Employee - Content Editor  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary and benefits, flexible schedule, responsive leadership. Many opportunities for advancement especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Sometimes suffers from too much bureaucracy; communications from the higher-ups make for an entertaining game of corporate buzzword bingo.

Great place for lifers, stagnating if you are looking to grwo

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

IHS has lots of interesting data. If you want to do research and have access to it it may be a good place.If you're looking for a relatively stable environment where you can create balance with the rest of your life. Stock price is rapidly rising. For people just starting out in their careers you can learn a lot if you have a good manager. For those in mid career this a place you can go to coast to retirement if that's what you want.

Cons

Despite the talk and lots of activity, there is no genuine career progression system. Entry level staff may be able to get promoted through the 4 new lower level rungs fairly quickly. Beyond that you're likely stuck unless you can mange to become an executive's pet. There is no help from VPs or SVPs to provide you with training and skills to move up. Despite being a knowledge company, humans are treated as interchangeable resources.

CEO disease exists and filters down through the executive team and VPs. The scarcity mentality which they use to drive results also creates an environment of distrust. There is a lack of executive support to put money where it is needed to improve processes and engagement. If you bring up issues that need fixing and higher level support to get done people are labeled complainers and opportunities taken away.

A significant culture change to be more open, honest and trusting is needed. Despite all the talk about convergence, industry heads are generally speaking still fighting each other for revenue and credit, resulting in a lack of collaboration. Even where there are initiatives to collaborate fighting goes on and there is no reward for the person who let's go. This problem starts at the top.

Worked for IHS? Contribute to the Community!