IHS
www.ihs.com Englewood, CO 5000+ Employees

IHS Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Scott Key

Pros:
  • "Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks"
    in 20 reviews
  • "Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles"
    in 24 reviews
Cons:
  • "Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events"
    in 11 reviews
  • "No career advancement to senior management for Chinese"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Low engagement and mobility

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at IHS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsInteresting people from diverse areas of research. Fairly good benefits and work-life balance.

ConsDespite all the lip service toward colleague engagement, IHS seems completely driven by the quarterly financials. Salaries are below market, and raises are meager, if at all. The lower tier of analysts is a revolving door of (mostly) smart people who move on when better opportunities come along. Corporate structure changes every quarter and decisions take forever to be made. Also, for all the talk of delivering world class information and insight, analytical capabilities and techniques are often over-promised, out-dated, rely on hand-waving, and in some cases would not stand up to any rigorous external peer review.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on quality over quantity and make an effort to retain talent and listen to your employees.

Nice environment, interesting work but terrible compensation

Consultant (Former Employee)
Boston, MA

I worked at IHS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIHS is a large company and experiences will differ in different groups and locations. This is based on the consulting organization:
- Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks
- Mostly nice people though there is a lot of politics higher up
- Interesting strategic, economic and market insights projects with top firms
- Have access to great data resources that help execute consulting engagements and bring value to clients

Cons- Constant reorganization of the matrix - but you usually end up doing the same job you have been but can end up reporting to a new manager
- Opaque performance reviews - abstract metrics do not really account for performance
- Very poor compensation - a consulting company with great work life balance can definitely pay less than one that makes you work more, but the pay is really low compared to even research and data companies
- Lack of growth - hard to get promoted despite good performance

Advice to Senior ManagementReward talent to retain it. People left because of compensation - they otherwise liked their jobs and would have stayed if you just paid them industry wages.

Newly Acquired and so far, so good

ETL Developer II (Current Employee)
Southfield, MI

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI am a part of R L Polk that was recently acquired by IHS. I really liked Polk and not just because they hired me fresh out of college. The atmosphere here is pretty good, depending on which team you're on, but my team is great. I work well with all of my team members who are all great, the hours a somewhat flexible, and the workload is very manageable. As of writing this, IHS has not made any drastic changes to any of that, at least for my team, and I really appreciate that.

ConsEven though IHS has kept a lot of the things I liked the same, they have also changed a lot as well. I know it was strictly a perk, but they have taken away most if not all of our company sponsored outings. Furthermore, since we're now publicly owned, we also lost a lot of our company vacation time. I know none of this is really job critical or anything like that, but when you've had it and it's taken away, you definitely notice it. But, a con of the structure remaining largely the same is the fact that there isn't a lot of room for advancement within the Polk, so I'm not sure if that'll change with IHS or not. The managerial positions are pretty few and usually held for a pretty long time.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf I had anything to say to upper management, it would be to really analyze what works and what people like, and continue to do that. Generally, when employees are happy and well taken care of, it shows in their work.

Great work life balance...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at IHS

ProsWork-life balance is great. Good benefits package.

ConsIt was great for a while, but the change in leadership and hiring of more suites and reduction of workforce doesn't allow projects to get completed.

Advice to Senior ManagementA good company is based on its people. Remove the politics and value your employees and stop promoting people that just suck up.

An acquisitive company

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunities to grow and expand capabilities as company constantly expands into new markets and through acquisitions. Unique opportunity to work on a wide range of problems in a wide variety of industries.

ConsChange is a constant given as the company continually wrestles with putting together process and procedures in place that allow many small companies act as one big one.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep the lines of communication open

Fascinating company

Englewood, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou've probably never heard of IHS, but undoubtedly you use IHS data. IHS is a data company that is doing some cool things.

ConsVERY management top heavy. Every quarter I swear we get 10 new VP's
Terrible telecommuting policy - for a company that claims to be "green" the WFH policy is terrible
Growing by acquisition, but not doing a good job of integrating companies or people

Learning about the oil industry

Data Clerk (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Benefits , Flex Hours and schedule

ConsNot knowing what the future holds

Love working here. Every day is a challenge

I have been working at IHS

ProsThe benefits are outstanding compared to other companies.

ConsMany organizational changes. Sometimes confusing who reports to who.

OK, but...

Director (Current Employee)
Lexington, MA

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 10 years

ProsCompetitive compensation, yearly stock awards (when goals are met) can add up, generally decent people to work with, good opportunities to work with some really smart people on interesting projects.

ConsEmpire building by ridiculously short-sighted managers leads to internal, behind-the-scenes tension. Lots of pressure to hit quarterly numbers. The pace of acquisitions and changeover of personnel sometimes creates continuity problems both internal and external.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a serious look and a listen down in the trenches to really see if your employees are engaged.

busy busy busy

I have been working at IHS for more than 3 years

Prosinteract with top executives; interesting colleagues and initiatives

Consconstant change and reorganization, conflicting priorities, and management disconnect with client message

Advice to Senior Managementlet the company mature before more acquisitions are made. Needs a time to integrate all the companies it has acquired. Focus on importance of long-term relationships both with colleagues and clients.

Worked for IHS? Contribute to the Community!

IHS Videos

IHS – Why Work for Us?

At IHS, we are Advancing Decisions that Advance the World™. Our team of more than 8,000 global colleagues is comprised of world renowned experts who thrive in our dynamic, diverse, fast-growing environment. IHS at a… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IHS reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IHS CEO Scott Key. All 188 reviews posted anonymously by IHS employees.