IHS Reviews

Updated October 18, 2014
Updated October 18, 2014

Scott Key

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks (in 31 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events (in 12 reviews)

• Buddy system in LOB upper management promotes themselves even with poor performance results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Good work environment, excellent compensation

Former Employee - Data Transformation Specialist/Receptionist in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are many opportunities for internal and external training, and always ways to customize your job for more growth opportunities. Compensation was more than fair for the job level I had, and the benefit package was excellent. They even give away more than just a few stock shares to their employees every year, just for achieving high customer satisfaction across the board.

The company also has high standards and good values. There was much emphasis on corporate sustainability, and they even give you some free hours (aside from FTO hours) to go volunteer someplace, so long as it fits within the company's sustainability parameters. Also, what happens within work hours tended to stay within work hours, so work-life balance was easy to maintain (at least, where I worked).

Cons

My particular experience at IHS is not necessarily typical for others at the company, especially those who worked in the larger offices. Mine was small, just 3 people. So most of the cons of my job were in how isolated and set apart our office was, and how our mini-size of office meant we couldn't enjoy a lot of the amenities of a larger office.

Leadership at my particular office wasn't superb, and there wasn't much of a sense of community where I worked. A lot of the good stuff about IHS (aside from the benefits and pay) seemed miles away, and in fact, they were.

I also wasn't happy that we practically had to wait for some of our equipment to be on its last dying legs before being replaced.

Perhaps you could focus a little bit less on growth and acquisitions, and focus a bit more on improving and better coordinating what you have. Also, you could expand a bit on what types of volunteer activities could meet the criteria for furthering sustainability goals.

Senior Account Manager

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to start yoru career in Business Intelligence. IHS enjoys a good reputation on the market place and this can be helpful when looking for a new job.

Cons

Salaries are not competitve and the commission structure does not encourage sales people to do their best.

Align business operations and pay more attention to train middle management

Does not care about work ethic rather cares about if you are the right gender.

Current Employee - Administrative
    Current Employee - Administrative

I have been working at IHS full-time

Pros

The benefits were good, there was an good emphasis on health and well being, and volunteerism.

Cons

Working in Admin I realized there was not a lot room for growth even with a BA degree. I found that counterparts in the US that were men that did the exact same job would just have their titles changed easily (with less experience and education) so that they could get more pay, where as women were not allowed to have that done since the pay was so low. Women that were working in upper management were given unreasonable tasks that basically were put there to work her to utter failure, I have seen this time and time again. It goes as far as the highest ranking female at IHS.
    In addition, pay was standardized in Canada to compare to US pay and does not reflect the market in this area so cost of living was really tight and it made no sense to work there anymore.

What is more disturbing is how employees who have worked there for years would be surprised to find that they no longer work there as they are deemed unnecessary in the eyes of Lord IHS. Having an embarrassing episodes one after the other while they are escorted out. And those were the loyal employees. As for the smart ones to get out early, if they were known to be hired by a known competitor, they would also be escorted out immediately. A good company supports growth and accepts the fact that good Talent might leave. This company is in the Dark ages.
    Disappointed with this American owned company.

Put your big panties on and accept Women as your equals, stop acting like a Walmart!

Many lines of business, the one i worked for was turbulent

I worked at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In the LOB I worked for - good colleagues, good salary and benefits, flexible working conditions as long as you got your work done.

Cons

My LOB had frequent management and policy changes. Buddy system in LOB upper management promotes themselves even with poor performance results. Targets and goals changed quarterly chasing a lofty revenue number the LOB had no way of meeting. If you know management and are hired by them you've got a chance, otherwise you're an outsider and your days are numbered.

You were formed through acquisition and have had poor results to date, you will soon be divested.

Great internship experience

Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Intern in Washington, DC

I have been working at IHS as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Very interesting work. They give interns real work, and the learning curve is quite steep. Interns will pick up very useful skills and general knowledge.

Cons

Pay is on the lower side, and sitting in a cubicle all day is tough sometimes. The work is sometimes a bit monotonous as well.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Market leader in the products and services they provide. Great people. Lot's of room for growth. Competitive compensation and the best benefits on the market today. Low cost of benefits to the employee.

Cons

Focus on training of employees. Focus on organic growth. Re-focus on Marketing. Overall this is a great place to work.

Keep focusing on organic growth. It will benefit everyone, including employees, management, customers, stock holders,

Growing fast. Leant a lot about business structure.

Former Employee - Account Manager in Coulsdon, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Coulsdon, England (UK)

I worked at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great benefits and very easy to mvd throughout the company and get support

Cons

Smaller, less profitable parts of the business are sometimes overlooked.

Software Engineer

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, room for improvements in processes, open mindedness, and intelligent professionals.

Cons

Need to improve stability and support change to internal staff for reassurance.

Great people to work with, questionable management structure

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance, flexible work groups and terrific managers. Employees that have a good manager are properly taken care of and appreciated. The offices, outside of the budgeting process, are left to manage themselves.

Cons

Some rigid management structure. HR policies not as employee friendly as at previous companies that IHS acquired. The company does well enough when it is hands off but rubs people the wrong way when they tend to micromanage. Everything is done with an eye toward the stock price and that includes ticking off customers will large price increases every year. Company should strive to give more value and the revenue will follow. More career opportunities are needed employees that are not working under a good manager. Getting recognized in the company is wholly dependent on your manager "fighting" for you during budget process.

Vacation policy is outdated and does more to tick people off than anything else.

Got the offer, turned it down

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Englewood, CO

I worked at IHS as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Spoke to one person there who seemed very smart and as a senior manager as well. See cons on the latter.

Company is a well established (old) conglomerate. It is probably stable.

Cons

As a contractor, I was offered work there and turned it down. At the end of the interview with the manager whom I would have reported to, I asked how I did and for feedback. He laughed smiled and said "you did great." When hearing back from the recruiter that they wanted to bring me on board the recruiter indicated that the very same manager was concerned I "might not be a cultural fit." This was surprising given that in our face to face meeting he expressed no concern or indication of an issue to address. This told me that I was dealing with a two-faced manager, which is something one should avoid. I assume it also means that in terms of culture, saying one thing to someone's face and something different behind their back is a part of the culture.

Good people choose the company they work for in much the same way companies, good or otherwise, want to choose employees.You need to do as good a job in presenting your company as you expect a prospective candidate to do in presenting themselves. It starts with honesty and integrity. If you cannot be honest and forthright in an interview, offering them a position will only result in them discovering they've made a mistake and deciding to leave.

Likewise, if you have a concern in interviewing someone, it is best to bring it up to address at the time. If you say someone did well and you want them on board and then tell someone else that it's with provisos because of a "cultural fit" conern, this is inherently dishonest and the position itself is suspect as is any manager who does these kinds of things.