IHS Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.2
Jerre Stead

Pros
  • work/life balance possible if you're vigilant (in 32 reviews)

• good starting pay with good benefits (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events (in 12 reviews)

• Upper management are ruthless in their pursuit of quarterly (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

Director, Customers First

Current Employee - Director, Customers First in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Director, Customers First in Englewood, CO

Pros

IHS is a great company! Our CEO, Jerre Stead is an AMAZING leader who is incredibly dynamic and personable. At IHS, everything we do is driven by Customer needs and our passion for understanding what enables their success. By putting our Customers First, IHS provides sustained value to all stakeholders (including internal colleagues). I could not be more pleased to be a part of the IHS team and look forward to the bright future ahead.

Cons

I don't have anything negative to say about IHS.

IHS Response

Aug 31, 2015 – Talent Acquisiiton

We couldn't agree with you more - thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and keep up the great work!

2. Company

Pros

Multicultural environment, interesting people. The work is very flexible

Cons

a lot of work, work life balance isn't good.

3. Good company to work for

Pros

Great benefits including tuition reimbursement

Cons

Not much career growth opportunities

IHS Response

Aug 31, 2015 – Talent Acquisiiton

Thank you for writing in. We agree that our benefits are top notch and strive to ensure that we maintain a competitive package for our colleagues. We continue to discuss career development and ... More

5. good company to work for

Pros

good company work for since it values the employee

Cons

no offshore location since most of the work will be done in office location because of work nature

6. IHS CERA

Former Employee - Research Associate II in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Employee - Research Associate II in Singapore (Singapore)

Pros

Great learning place for young analysts

Cons

Poor work environment. Too much internal politics

7. Good work environment and benefits

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO

Pros

The company is very focused on customer satisfaction. Employees are rewarded financially when customer surveys meet company goals. There is a bonus program yearly based on company's ability to hit goals.

Cons

It's very hard to get promoted here and I felt stagnant in my career growth.

Getting better

Current Employee - Principal Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Principal Analyst in London, England (UK)

I have been working at IHS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people; big deal and exciting projects to work on. Decent standard of work too.

Cons

Pay is poor and senior management command little respect. The people you work with are great but the executives spend too much time spewing propaganda

Advice to Management

treat the staff like adults and focus on internal performance before making further acquisitions

9. GOOD WORK BALANCE

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at IHS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

very good company for married mans

Cons

very good to work but all is related to database

Advice to Management

pls improve in salary

Low Pay and Management a Joke...

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Englewood, CO

I worked at IHS full-time

Pros

The commercial side of the business is great! The Insight, CERA and other Energy teams are comprised of exceedingly intelligent people who know what they are doing, are collaborative and really do make an impact on work energy markets. The colleagues on this team are the complete opposite of the "operations" side of the business.

Cons

The operations side of IHS is an absolute joke, especially the sales operations organization. This company way underpays its employees for the work they do. Mid-level managers particularly at the Director, Senior Director and VP level only care about gaming the system so that they can get their coveted bonuses. They don't actually "solve" any real issues for the business or bring value. Rather, they make it look like they accomplished something through fancy reports. When they miss their goal or objective, they simply create what they call "phase 2" of a project and then attempt to fix what it was they didn't correctly do the first time around. This process continues for years on end. For a company who should be cutting edge, have a lot of "insight" into strategic planning and process, they simply are a bumbling mess under the hood, very inefficient and over charge for their products and services because they just can't pull their act together. Finally, those mid level managers will make the analysts and junior managers do all the heavy lifting/actual work on a project and then they take ALL the credit for what was accomplished. These people are scary to work for. Oh, and it's pretty strange that the CEO Scott Key just abruptly left one day with no real explanation. This company constantly has management issues and every other month there is some major senior management shakeup. There is never any stability and the company does 3 major layoff cycles a year. I was with the company 4 years and just decided to get out on my own before being brought down by internal politics.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the excessive bloat of mid-level managers. They're just gaming the company to get more bonus money and they're not solving any real issues, just inhibiting growth.

A mixed bag!

Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in London, England (UK)

I worked at IHS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I think your experience at IHS will be entirely dependent on the business unit you end up in. In some cases you will encounter some extremely smart, creative and supportive colleagues which can be very rewarding. Opportunities to network and pursue opportunities overseas. Operate a good benefits system.

Cons

Heavy on middle management - constantly in a state of flux. No continuity as too much change. Bit of a boys club whose members can often seem isolated from what is actually happening. Sales management by spreadsheet! If a deal is at any stage in your pipeline you better be closing that deal and you will be held to ransom on a weekly basis if no progress is made. Bureaucratic, heavy on process to the point it can be detrimental to the client relationship. Highly acquisitive which is problematic when it comes to the integration (or lack thereof) process. It's all about the share price!

Advice to Management

Stop making frequent changes to the sales structure. If something is working there is no need to switch it up. Pause for thought when integrating newly acquired companies. What did they do well, what is the best fit for the newly acquired company employees - the IHS way is not always the right way!

RSS Feed </> Embed