IHS

Updated December 21, 2014
Updated December 21, 2014
3.2

Scott Key

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks (in 32 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events (in 12 reviews)

• Buddy system in LOB upper management promotes themselves even with poor performance results (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very flexible with regards to hours and time off. Supportive direct supervisor and is there when needed to remove roadblocks. The pay and benefits (minus dental - see Cons) is very marketable. The office space is very modern and convenient. Most supportive of promoting work-life balance. There are plenty of opportunities within the company so if you grow tired of an existing role, the opportunity exists to change and stay within the company.

Cons

The dental insurance can be slightly improved, but that may just be because my dentist is not in the network. Given that the company is so large, there are times when it is hard to get things done when responsibilities fall outside the scope of our team.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Fantastic company..frustrating product to sell!

Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Inside Sales Account Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is great. Friendly, sharp, intelligent co-workers. Great benefits and internal communication.

Cons

My training was unorganized. So was the structure in terms of having a functioning sales target list. Confused and complicated value prop, no marketing support, and very expensive product that I was trying to sell to a market that is used to much lower pricing.

Have a better organized sales plan for the next guy.

Great place for lifers, stagnating if you are looking to grwo

Current Employee - Managing Director
    Current Employee - Managing Director

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

IHS has lots of interesting data. If you want to do research and have access to it it may be a good place.If you're looking for a relatively stable environment where you can create balance with the rest of your life. Stock price is rapidly rising. For people just starting out in their careers you can learn a lot if you have a good manager. For those in mid career this a place you can go to coast to retirement if that's what you want.

Cons

Despite the talk and lots of activity, there is no genuine career progression system. Entry level staff may be able to get promoted through the 4 new lower level rungs fairly quickly. Beyond that you're likely stuck unless you can mange to become an executive's pet. There is no help from VPs or SVPs to provide you with training and skills to move up. Despite being a knowledge company, humans are treated as interchangeable resources.

CEO disease exists and filters down through the executive team and VPs. The scarcity mentality which they use to drive results also creates an environment of distrust. There is a lack of executive support to put money where it is needed to improve processes and engagement. If you bring up issues that need fixing and higher level support to get done people are labeled complainers and opportunities taken away.

A significant culture change to be more open, honest and trusting is needed. Despite all the talk about convergence, industry heads are generally speaking still fighting each other for revenue and credit, resulting in a lack of collaboration. Even where there are initiatives to collaborate fighting goes on and there is no reward for the person who let's go. This problem starts at the top.

Great employer

Current Employee - Content Editor in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Content Editor in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary and benefits, flexible schedule, responsive leadership. Many opportunities for advancement especially if you are willing to relocate.

Cons

Sometimes suffers from too much bureaucracy; communications from the higher-ups make for an entertaining game of corporate buzzword bingo.

Meh

Former Employee - Analyst
    Former Employee - Analyst

I worked at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Alright benefits
    Flexible schedule
    OK pay
    Exposure to vendors/building your network

Cons

The problem with IHS is that it has no identity. Want to know what IHS does? Apparently everything. Just try navigating their website and you'll see what I mean. Corporate wants you to think of IHS as "a solutions provider," whatever that means. Customers don't know who IHS is or what they do, even though they are a public company with thousands of employees. IHS has gone on an acquisition spree, which means that its a collection of smaller groups that has made the entire company bloated.

Unfortunately this also amounts to coworkers who all do their own thing and have nothing to do with each other. The different groups of acquired companies eventually become cliques, and its hard to really feel like a team. There are some people who would work from home for weeks at a time, and they would just pop in now and then, almost requiring you to reintroduce yourself to these strangers.

You'll get lost in the layers of management and the overall company structure. A lot of HR functions are performed remotely from Colorado over the phone; you get company wide emails on a daily basis talking about people you've never heard of; people are fired without notice...its just odd.

Colleague engagement surveys were conducted every so often and they always showed dramatically low engagement levels across most offices. This wasnt a surprise to anyone, because nobody feels attached to this company.

Nevertheless, one thing to note is that your experience will depend on where you are located. Every single office has their own culture and ways of doing things. My complaints here could be completely different in another place, so take that however you wish.

Not much to say here. At the same time, I'm not even sure who this advice would go to, being as how the management chain doesnt seem to end here.

Not a bad place to work - depending on your career

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If the company is doing well, bonus are decent. Good work environment.

Cons

Very hard to get promoted.
    Wages are sub-par.
    Not a good place to work for technical innovation - they are 5 years behind the high-tech industry.
    In some departments, if you have a pulse you can function as a project manager or an implementation lead, and working with those inexperienced people is almost impossible.

Walk the walk, when it comes to employee engagement. There is a lot of talk about keeping employee's engaged but very little "walk"

Promote good staff.

Not bad

Current Employee - Analyst II in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst II in Austin, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Used to have a great environment before acquisition. Good work-life balance. Ok benefits, ok training. Nothing I could brag about. Decent vacation time. decent pay but lower than other places.

Cons

Low salary rises, not a lot of challenge, many lay-offs even when reaching targets, corporate culture ridiculous, looked like out of a movie where they made fun of corporate life

Chill out, listen to people not to wall street

The best people oriented company I have experienced

Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior IT Analyst in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great compensation for a job well done

Cons

Upper management is not so organized having the wrong people managing products they dont understand

Look from the bottom up to get a different perspective. "Yes" men (people) are no good for business growth.

Not good

Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work life balance is good. Manager is nice

Cons

Underpay. Political, insurance is bad

Interesting but not worth the stress.

Current Employee - Finance in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Finance in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The compensation is the best I have ever received in the finance field. The PTO, sick time, and even a volunteer day off are great. I like the transparency finance meetings held every quarter though I know we are not told everything.

Cons

Upper management is a joke. It's not about taking care of your employees it's about who you can step on to get there. We promote people who have no business being in a position of power. Even promoting colleagues in my department who have badmouthed other colleagues in the same department and said they want to get rid of them. That should be a red flag that they don't deserve the job.
    Work load is high and when asked for help we are told to get over it and deal with it.
    Programs and processes put into place without ever asking those who are going to use it for input. When we bring up problems or issues the response is, "this is how it is so get over it and move on".
    Communication is non-existent. We are only told things once it has already happened and even then at times only when someone stumbles upon it.

Interview team members before promoting. Just because a colleague can put on a good act and face to management does not mean they are that way with team members. Work on communication. Nothing around here is communicated well or even most of the time at all.