IHS Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014
Updated August 27, 2014

Scott Key

Pros
  • Great work/life balance - some travel but minimal, mostly 40 hour weeks (in 25 reviews)

• Good benefits, decent salary - but poor merit raises unless you change roles (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Company middle management increasing isolating themselves from day to day events (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management are ruthless in their pursuit of quarterly (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Severely dysfunctional.

I worked at IHS

Pros

The contract rate was decent, and the crazy overtime made some of the time worth it.

Cons

The company was a complete disaster. I was working in the Broomfield office, so the office down south may have been run differently.

Bought out and sold out

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

I worked at IHS full-time for less than a year

Pros

IHS very recently bought the private company that I had been working at for 10 years. Right after buying the company IHS made an effort to communicate regularly with employees, do satisfaction surveys and have town hall meetings to give updates on progress that was being made in the integration process between our two companies.

Cons

Before the end of IHS's fiscal year there was a very large reduction in force and a major reorganization of the company, This was done after only purchasing the company 3 months earlier. What seemed very clear was that despite any nice words about wanting to retain the best of both companies and keep talented people, there were financial objectives that had to be met and if valuable employees had to be sacrificed to meet those goals - so be it. I do understand that a business case was made to buy the company I worked for and that financial targets were part of that deal. Those responsible for making the case also had to make the numbers - I do get that. However, for any company that is a prospective purchase target of IHS I would warn that despite any promises made, make no mistake that employees valuable or not will be sacrificed to meet whatever accounting goals were set out by the corporate office. Severance packages were far from generous for long-term employees. Bottom line goals will be met at whatever cost and your company and its remaining employees will find themselves in upheaval.

The real value in a company is in its talent - integrate talented employees vs. making big cuts to meet arbitrary accounting goals. Purchase companies with a goal of understanding the company and the value of its employees and business vs. strictly meeting accounting goals at all costs.

The culture and people work here are amazing

Current Employee - Customer Solution Advisor  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Solution Advisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than a year

Pros

work and life balance, keeps you interested, continuous changes and learning environment.

Cons

pay less than competitors, slow growth

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Everyone is very professional.

Current Employee - Contract Communications  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Contract Communications in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IHS as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Good environment. Friendly, professional coworkers. Very little oversight by management.

Cons

Limited upward movement. Limited training for contractors. No training on corporate culture.

Don't make contractors such separate employees.

Great change agents

I worked at IHS full-time

Pros

Move fast...follow-through on investment...great data

Cons

Perhaps a bit too product-centric

More managers than workers and management could careless about people doing the work.

Former Employee - Web Producer  in  Englewood, CO
    Former Employee - Web Producer in Englewood, CO

I worked at IHS as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

If your an employee the benefits are good but over half the company is contractors.

Cons

Over half the company is contractors so you have many people who are treated poorly so care very little about work quality and have poor attitudes.

Stop hiring so much upper management that doesn't do the heavy lifting and hire on employees.

Heavy in Outsourcing outside of the US

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at IHS full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good benefits, Good Middle management

Cons

Low raises, bonuses, etc.. they keep cutting these benefits even though the compnay is very profitable and keep buying other companies.
    not enough IT Technical people to do the work. The Business ;people live in luxery, travel, expenses, meals, parties, while IT staff are being starved with any of this.

Reward the employees with more stocks and less vesting to show that you are rewarding them for the work the've done so far, instead of a reward given now, but vesting in a year, when you lay some of the employess on a monthly basis and a yearly basis, they will lose this reward. Sotcks need to be more than what's allocated, because most of the reward go to taxes, so the only ones who get rewarded really are the top execs...

Solid place to work for a while...

I have been working at IHS

Pros

Good work environment, friendly and smart people.

Cons

Lack of career development, disjointed organization

Acquisition Hungry

I have been working at IHS

Pros

Large company with great benefits

Cons

Large company, power concentrated in Englewood

Choose the business unit you will work for wisely

I worked at IHS full-time for more than a year

Pros

- competitive salaries and benefits
    - overall good work / life balance
    - some great colleagues and managers
    - some business units very successful
    - good corporate vision

Cons

- some not so great managers and execs
    - frequent policy changes - could have been my group only, not sure about the others
    - "do this and don't do that, no wait - don't do this and but do that, perhaps do this other thing, no wait, lets go back to...."
    - culture of acquisitions also brings culture of lay-offs, like the seasons...

its a challenge to get so many acquisitions moving in the same direction, you're doing a good job for the most part

Worked for IHS? Contribute to the Community!