IKEA

IKEA Reviews in College Park, MD

Updated Jul 16, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work (in 55 reviews)

• Great team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights
7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work.

Sales Co-Worker (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsVery accommodating of part-time work schedule so I can go to school. Great co-workers and a fun work environment. Co-worker cafeteria with three dollar meals. Company discount is excellent. The respect individuality, no restrictions on hair length, color, or style, visible piercings and tattoos are ok. Pay is better than average for retail.

ConsIt's a retail job so lots of standing and interesting customers. Three dollar lunch is not the highest quality but it's healthier than fast-food. Can't ask too much for three dollars.

I enjoyed working at I Ikea.

Front Line Team Lead (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsThe healthcare package is great. Plenty of opportunities for advancement.

ConsIf you can't handle the high volume of customers this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the floor.

Customer service experience

Full Serve Handout (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsWorkplace culture, benefits for part-timers.

ConsLots of standing on concrete floors.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Time to Unionize

Sales Co-Worker (Current Employee) College Park, MD

ProsCoworkers are awesome and make the job fun, a few good perks ($3 meals, PTO, etc.). Opportunities for training, flexible schedules.

ConsWorking at Ikea is like being in a relationship with someone who abuses you, but tells you it could be worse: "Hey, at least I don't cheat on you." Ikea claims to care about it's workers, but in reality a lot of their employment practices are just as abusive as those "other" retailers who are often in the news. Sure you recycle and offer paid time off, but you also cut hours, try to run a large store with a skeleton crew, and offer pitiful wages in an effort to increase profits. There are few opportunities for advancement; the store will hire folks outside of the organization before promoting current coworkers. Some of the HR policies are downright overbearing (folks getting fired for being 1 minute late).

Advice to Senior ManagementUnions came about because of the failure of management to treat their employees fairly.You guys are slow learners, and it's only a matter of time before employees start to demand decent working conditions and wages. Just something to think about...

Not a bad place to work for a full time college student

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsHealthcare for part time employees and convenient work schedule for people in school.

ConsPolitics, contradictory rule changes and tweaks between store and corporate, management shifts in store.

Advice to Senior ManagementStreamline,and cut the red tape and internal politics.

Ikea is a wonderful place to work at when you have good managers that actually care about there co workers.

Cashier (Former Employee) College Park, MD

ProsCustomers are very nice, raises are good, everyone is one big family!
    Not hard to get along with your co workers

ConsRed days at ikea which are the busiest days such as Saturdays and Sunday. Overly crowded to the point where it gets too hot and aggravated.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompliment your co workers more!

Good Place for Students and Part Time Workers

Sales Associate (Current Employee) College Park, MD

Pros-flexible schedules
    -good benefits
    -overall good work environment

Consstarting pay is a little low

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!