IKEA

IKEA Reviews

Updated Jul 8, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work"
    in 50 reviews
  • "Great team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth"
    in 22 reviews
Cons:
  • "work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers"
    in 17 reviews
  • "coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Okay job but not a career

Food Service Employee (Former Employee)
    Los Angeles, CA

ProsI will admit that they were flexible while I was going to school. They also have good benefits.

ConsThen money, or lack there of. Nights and weekends suck, but that is nearly all retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain high potential employees, you really have to work with them and incise them to stay.

Amazing opportunity for good work-life balance

Human Resources Generalist (Current Employee)

ProsGreat team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth. Lots of people have been with the company and have grown into lots of new roles.

ConsChange is slow- lots of discussion before things change. Unrealistic expectations for new co-workers leads to high turnover in difficult areas

Advice to Senior ManagementKeeping developing talent- awesome succession within the store.

Great company to work for, very open minded and also green.

Human Resources Administrative (Current Employee)
    Atlanta, GA

ProsOpen communication among coworkers and managment. There is also a great oppurtunity to move up in the company.

ConsThey could use an upgrade on computer systems.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I enjoyed working at I Ikea.

Front Line Team Lead (Former Employee)
    College Park, MD

ProsThe healthcare package is great. Plenty of opportunities for advancement.

ConsIf you can't handle the high volume of customers this is not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on the floor.

Great learning experience.

Conscustomers
    Busy
    no commission
    old systems and registers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to look for people who are willing to grow even if they are just cashiers

rewarding, but not renumeritive

Workspaces Coworker (Current Employee)
    Portland, OR

Prosgood benefits, nice people. Late policy is way too restrictive. Compensation for coworkers is too low. Management gets the money but they use coworkers to drive profits. Scheduling of shifts can be horrid. Work until late at night and then be schedule to open first thing in th morning.

Consslow to make changes. managers always in meetings.

Advice to Senior Managementmake managers work! all they do is go to meetings and delegate. And get paid a boatload for it.

A just for now job

ProsBenefits are good.
    Friendly people to work with for the most part.

ConsLow pay, bad policies that are boarderline illegal. Favoritism, terrible schedules, contact center is only closed thanksgiving and Christmas and you have to submit your own time If you want to get paid. Very difficult to work with in regards to your hours and requesting time off. Expect to have Ikea rule your life. They don't care about their employees or customers. Actively looking for a new job!

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the law and increase the pay.

A Nightmare In Retail

Carts Co-Worker (Former Employee)
    West Chester, OH

ProsI enjoyed the company of most of the people I worked with.

A lot of foreigners and local celebrities shopped at the store. I was exposed to people I would not have met otherwise.

ConsManagement was incompetent at best. From the outside looking in, it felt as if the people in charge had no idea what they were doing. Since the store was extremely profitable, any management problems were swept under the rug. Internal problems be damned, IKEA's too popular to fail.

Promotions were purely political. Unless you were apart of the "club", you weren't promoted. People that couldn't lead their way out of a paper bag were put in positions of leadership and power.

There's a petty rivalry between those that worked on the second floor and those that worked on the first floor. The employees that worked inside had no respect for the employees that worked outside.

There was no official training for my job. I learned how to do everything through trial and error.

Very high volume of customers on weekends and holidays.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop feeding employees crap about job advancement: none of it is true.

Have an ear to the ground; know what's going on in the store. Be familiar with store workflow and customer behavior.

Longtime employee.

ProsGreat benefits and coworkers that become lifelong friends.

ConsUpper management out of touch with coworkers, seem to distance themselves. Upper management treat coworkers like disposable goods, if you're lucky your direct manager protects you from most of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management needs to read the company's core values and actually live by them daily, not just use them as a punchline. Take responsibility.

Front Line

ProsYour day/night goes very quickly. They adhere to break schedule. But don't be late or take advantage as management will speak with you about being late, calling out sick, etc... No benefits for PT workers because of Obama Care, so unless you are looking for some quick cash.... (but you have to work for it physical job non-stop) move on to another retail job.

ConsManagement is so clueless along with HR. They are not team players unless you are "kissing" and praising them. When you put a request in for time off/schedule change it NEVER happens. Be prepared to be abused by customers and Managment not backing you because customers are yellling in your face cause their credit cards are not approved. No such thing as PT. Once you start they will schedule you until you burn out. People are always calling out sick, or no-shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about helping out and hiring more people. Your staff makes you look good and never do you say great job!!! We bust our backs to get people through the line and all you do is stand there and point fingers. Yet we are the ones that have to listen to customers being rude, arrogant and yeah don't tell us that you are going to promote us and then change your mind last minute because you don't communicate with each other. Cafeteria should be a healthy choice. 65 percent of worker are unhealthy and overweight.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IKEA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall. All 511 reviews posted anonymously by IKEA employees.