IKEA

IKEA Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work(in 55 reviews)

• Great team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers(in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours(in 18 reviews)

Work life balance, does not stand for this company. they preach it but does not follow thru

Ikea Cashier (Current Employee) Brooklyn, NY

Prosget hours when the business needs is there

ConsHR open door policy is there to get you fired. Jason Johnson is a coward and the head of HR.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn t be bias and do what is right instead of creating things to justify why you have fired someone.

Great learning experience.

Conscustomers
    Busy
    no commission
    old systems and registers

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to look for people who are willing to grow even if they are just cashiers

rewarding, but not renumeritive

Workspaces Coworker (Current Employee) Portland, OR

Prosgood benefits, nice people. Late policy is way too restrictive. Compensation for coworkers is too low. Management gets the money but they use coworkers to drive profits. Scheduling of shifts can be horrid. Work until late at night and then be schedule to open first thing in th morning.

Consslow to make changes. managers always in meetings.

Advice to Senior Managementmake managers work! all they do is go to meetings and delegate. And get paid a boatload for it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A just for now job

ProsBenefits are good.
    Friendly people to work with for the most part.

ConsLow pay, bad policies that are boarderline illegal. Favoritism, terrible schedules, contact center is only closed thanksgiving and Christmas and you have to submit your own time If you want to get paid. Very difficult to work with in regards to your hours and requesting time off. Expect to have Ikea rule your life. They don't care about their employees or customers. Actively looking for a new job!

Advice to Senior ManagementFollow the law and increase the pay.

The culture is alive

Shopkeeper (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA

ProsGreat Benefits. Inspiring. Good exercise walking around the huge store.

ConsWork like balance is questionable.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Okay job but not a career

Food Service Employee (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsI will admit that they were flexible while I was going to school. They also have good benefits.

ConsThen money, or lack there of. Nights and weekends suck, but that is nearly all retail.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to retain high potential employees, you really have to work with them and incise them to stay.

For the average people

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat work place provided, work-life for all, chose your own pace, recognition given for good work ( be prepared for mistakes too), lot of travel opportunities, transparency and open for expressing ones viewpoint

ConsNot for ambitious people, prefer swedish blood over other nationalities, too much talks on culture but not preached at all places, false promises in development talks, management is very immature and partial, fragmented and so many mini-ikea between one ikea that u may feel out of place lot of times, HR is not competent

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow up!!
    Stop looking for readymade material - someone gave u chance and so should u!

Longtime employee.

ProsGreat benefits and coworkers that become lifelong friends.

ConsUpper management out of touch with coworkers, seem to distance themselves. Upper management treat coworkers like disposable goods, if you're lucky your direct manager protects you from most of this.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management needs to read the company's core values and actually live by them daily, not just use them as a punchline. Take responsibility.

Front Line

ProsYour day/night goes very quickly. They adhere to break schedule. But don't be late or take advantage as management will speak with you about being late, calling out sick, etc... No benefits for PT workers because of Obama Care, so unless you are looking for some quick cash.... (but you have to work for it physical job non-stop) move on to another retail job.

ConsManagement is so clueless along with HR. They are not team players unless you are "kissing" and praising them. When you put a request in for time off/schedule change it NEVER happens. Be prepared to be abused by customers and Managment not backing you because customers are yellling in your face cause their credit cards are not approved. No such thing as PT. Once you start they will schedule you until you burn out. People are always calling out sick, or no-shows.

Advice to Senior ManagementHow about helping out and hiring more people. Your staff makes you look good and never do you say great job!!! We bust our backs to get people through the line and all you do is stand there and point fingers. Yet we are the ones that have to listen to customers being rude, arrogant and yeah don't tell us that you are going to promote us and then change your mind last minute because you don't communicate with each other. Cafeteria should be a healthy choice. 65 percent of worker are unhealthy and overweight.

Well-managed, but venomous staff.

ProsGood training, and a smart sense of what a coworker needs to get the job done. My managers were understanding and professional. Lots of different small tasks made the shifts go by somewhat quickly.

ConsNegative attitudes from the fellow coworkers force make it hard to concentrate on enjoying your job at hand. This could be a location-specific thing as I'm at a particularly student-heavy part of town. As well, the high turn-over rate meant there were rarely any extremely experienced members of the team there for very long.

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!