IKEA

Updated January 30, 2015
3.5

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall
Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • i believe that work-life balance would be good and working enviroments are all friendly (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits package is the only reason I have stayed with this company for so long (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 20 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

many benefits

Current Employee - Agent in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Agent in Miami, FL

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

learning new things. great training.

Cons

not enough hours for co workers.

Great for retail, despite poor departure.

Former Employee - Self Serve Sales in Merriam, KS
    Former Employee - Self Serve Sales in Merriam, KS

I worked at IKEA (less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Even part-time employees qualify for benefits. Pay is good for retail.

Cons

Communication issues are rampant. Was told that the company would take my side in word vs. word conflicts with customers, but still fired me over baseless customer complaint. It's retail.

Don't tell your employees that the company has their back, then fire them over a conflict with only a customer's word as evidence of wrongdoing.

I enjoyed my my time spent working at IKEA.

I worked at IKEA

Pros

Excellent raises and great staff to work with.

Cons

Some of the challenges working their were the lack of communication amongst émployess in other departments that affected the way the Logistics department operated.

Please pay attention to the small things that create pandemonium amongst employees especially during stressful times in the work place.

Great place if you apply yourself

Current Employee - Business Support in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Business Support in Frisco, TX

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

benefits, pay, and knowledge. You can learn anything you want there, just sign up for the classes and show up. Design, store layout, range management knowledge, easily attainable there.

Cons

Management not wanting to be accountable for there mistakes. Scheduling switched to an automated generator which does not allow for changes easily, and usually creates problems.

Spend more time on the sales floor upper mgmt.

Room to Grow

Former Employee - Accountant
    Former Employee - Accountant

I worked at IKEA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company generally has lots of opportunities for coworkers to step up, take on more responsibility and develop within the company. Benefits are very good.

Cons

Bureaucracy gets in the way of a lot of improvements that could take place. Poor managers are drag down departments and upper management is very slow to react.

Great starter

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at IKEA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ikea offers a lot of opportunity for their employees. Ikea was flexible with my schedule. Part time employees received leave benefits and education benefits that increased in time. I met a lot of coworkers and customers who made an impact on my life. My direct management were always amazing.

Cons

Different policies depending on the store you visited. Needs update in technology to compete better with other store and make the stress of work easier on the the frontline coworkers.

Listen to all level of management and coworkers and try harder to back them up. Hire managers who care about their coworkers in and out of work because the only reason I stayed so long was because of the people.

Enjoyed the Company but not the management of the store,

Current Employee - Ikea Cashier in Woodbridge, VA
    Current Employee - Ikea Cashier in Woodbridge, VA

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

The company really believes in its employees and visions which make it an inspiring place to work. Lots of creative and interesting people.

Cons

Management was very negative and rude.

Be more respectful and positive in the workspace.

They value hard work but you must fit in at whatever store you are employed.

Former Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Red Hook, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Red Hook, NY

I worked at IKEA part-time (less than a year)

Pros

IKEA is a wonderful place in and of itself but you must know that any workplace is ultimately the sum of its employees.

Cons

The employees at my location while some were good, others were malicious and had no love for their jobs or anyone who did enjoy their job.

IT Coworker good for entry level

Former Employee - IT Co-worker in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - IT Co-worker in Atlanta, GA

I worked at IKEA full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- other coworkers
    - fast learning
    - abundance of learning
    - ability to try out other jobs

Cons

- ugly uniforms
    - very low pay for amount of responsibility
    - IT track is very VERY limited (get in and get out if you are IT)

Every company (that is successful) is investing in technology, and bring people on board that can implement that technology. IKEA you need to do this!

Great atmosphere, lousy career progression

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Round Rock, TX

I worked at IKEA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I loved working at IKEA because they have excellent benefits, a nice atmosphere, amazing co-workers, and a real team spirit. Working at IKEA feels in a way like being part of a big family...which leads me to the cons.

Cons

Part of being part of a "family" is that it can be very dysfunctional. Retail by its very nature is a dysfunctional sort of environment...but where I worked felt more like being back in high school. Because the company has a very strong company culture, it can also feel a bit cult-ish at times. I found a lot of people had worked there for eons and were quite frankly, brainwashed into thinking along company lines with little ability to think for themselves.

I was part of the Backpacker Talent Development program, where 8 people from the US were chosen to travel and work for 1 year. I lived abroad in Belgium and Poland (6 months each). The program was meant to catapult you into a management position with support from within the company. It seemed like a great program but the reality was a completely different story. I received virtually zero support while on the ground in Europe and I had to learn everything as I went along. The logistics were poorly organized and there was really no accountability within the organization.

Take your job seriously. Recognize talent and help promote it when you see it.