IKEA

IKEA Reviews

Updated Apr 11, 2014

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall

Peter Agnefjall

Pros:
  • "Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work"
    in 46 reviews
  • "It has great values, strong work/life balance, and a unique culture"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "They pretend to care about a work life balance but they could care less"
    in 17 reviews
  • "coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours"
    in 18 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to growth

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee)
Gorizia (Italy)

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA complex organization where everybody can challenge,do mistskes and grow

ConsIt's hard to get processes lean

Advice to Senior ManagementBe always driven by value ... The rest will follow...

Great staff but ridiculous policies and software

Restaurant Team Member (Former Employee)
East Palo Alto, CA

I worked at IKEA part-time for less than a year

ProsThe other staff were friendly for the most part, especially in the design department and those on the floors of the store. Employee uniforms are fairly casual and they highly value making sure you get your breaks and have the general training required of all store associates (i.e. company culture, fire procedures, addressing fraud with customers, etc.)

ConsManagement is paranoid about theft and abusive of discount privileges. Employee meals are not free, only discounted, and not all that good either. Security is over-entitled and worshiped. Training is awful and managers act with little to no care towards welcoming new members to the team. Restaurant software is unique to IKEA but is complicated to learn and use in the time efficient manner expected. Manager totally disregarded my work schedule for my internship at another business.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer free meals to your staff, or at least the one the ones who work in the Restaurant. Train your managers to actually listen to the needs of their employees when making the weekly schedules.

Local Marketing Coordinator

Local Marketing Coordinator (Former Employee)
Madrid (Spain)

I worked at IKEA as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGood environment. A lot of work to do but manager will try to help you to balance your personal and professional life.

ConsNot many possibilities to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementLow wages.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was a great part-time job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Covina, CA

I worked at IKEA part-time for more than a year

ProsGaining benefits including a lot of time off, even as a part-time employee was a great benefit of this job. I was also able to influence decisions and sales as management actually listens to and values their employees.

ConsMost full time employees don't make that much money for the work required. It can be a grinding, very repetitive job.

Pleasant Part-time Position

Ikea Cashier (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL

I worked at IKEA part-time for more than a year

ProsIt was a fun and friendly environment. Was a very good company to work for I had no problems with management really. They were very kind to there staff with benifits for part time. Events in the community that regularly involved co-workers. Just a great over-all job for part time.

ConsWe were a brand new store when I worked there. At first there was plenty of staff for the amount of people, After a while, they reduced the on hand staff, and we usually had a very small crew which pressed us on to our limit.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure to be able to have enough staff on hand that can pull their own weight

Terrible

Logistic Analyst (Former Employee)
Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at IKEA as an intern for less than a year

Prosas an intern, you have a opportunity to get the career information from the management

Consless responsibility deployed to me, got nothing to do during my internship.

Advice to Senior Managementyour management teams need to be trained all over again,

Cashier

Cashier (Former Employee)
Edmonton, AB (Canada)

I worked at IKEA part-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional, very clear about what your duties and roles are, which is surprisingly uncommon in retail. The cafetaria is the best lunch-room I've ever had at any job - the I believe $5 lunch buffets everyday were awesome and the staff who served it were very nice. Also, they were generous with breaks, which is not always the case in Alberta as they are not technically mandatory.

ConsNot many opportunities to get to know your co-workers... part of this is just the professional atmosphere, the managers are a bit more serious than some retail settings. Also, the incentive program is funny but also pretty lousy - 15 perfect cashes for a free $0.99 ice cream is pretty lame, to be honest.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make a more fun working environment... although I doubt there is a huge incentive to do so since retail generally has quick turnover rates.

IKEA Comm-In

Interior Designer (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

I worked at IKEA full-time for more than a year

ProsCreative and low stress environment

ConsDrama and flat corporate structure. Lots of lateral opportunities if willing to re-locate. None if you want to stay put.

Summer at IKEA

Sales Co-Worker (Former Employee)
Portland, OR

I worked at IKEA full-time for less than a year

ProsCool atmosphere and 15% discount. Opportunity for decent benefit package if stay long enough.

ConsGetting time off was a pain, and the sales of the store was more important than customer service. Often did not have enough employees working on busy days.

No Order!

Southfield At Whitemarsh, MD

I have been working at IKEA full-time

ProsOpportunity for quick advancement.

ConsThe pay is below average in my opinion and most importantly management is totally disorganized. It seems like they roll out things before even testing it themselves. Also there is 0 I repeat 0 work life balance. Vacation? forget about it. need time off? good luck finding someone to switch.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet organized!

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IKEA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall. All 447 reviews posted anonymously by IKEA employees.