IKEA Reviews

Updated October 27, 2014
3.5

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall
Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits package is the only reason I have stayed with this company for so long (in 62 reviews)

• The work/life balance for the most part is good (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 19 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Was just ok, managers don't care for employees

I worked at IKEA

Pros

there are lots of available hours

Cons

there are lots of available hours

Great experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Burbank, CA

I worked at IKEA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule and tuition reimbursement

Cons

Pretty cool place to work

Pay is low, but very flexible.

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

Great coworkers make the days go by easier.
    Flexible with scheduling
    Fun events
    Discount

Cons

The type of customers (expect to catch attitude everyday)
    Not consistent schedules
    Pay
    Stressful at times

To corporate management: people can't afford housing as a single person on this salary, it requires multiple jobs to make ends meet.

The good with the bad

Current Employee - CO-Worker
    Current Employee - CO-Worker

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

Most co workers are great like a little family, made some mates for life. Discount food for co workers. We are often given a free reign to try our own ideas and managers don't follow you round every 5 seconds they allow you to do your job. Hard work is often rewarded overall.

Cons

Some managers are awful and cannot lead by example. Slackers get a break hard workers get our backsides busted. Too much buerocrecy and red tape. Sometimes no help or managers, not enough staff,blurred job roles and constant contradiction to rules. Work life balance is hell and often less than 10 hours between shifts,weeks start Sunday so prepare to work 6 day weeks. Terrible views on sickness, send you home then slam you for taking time off. Things take forever to change and focus often on wrong areas to improve. Managers will screw you for things that go wrong even if they sign to say everything was done properly. HR take forever to fix any issues. Return to works sometimes not even done when you ask managers to do them then we have to sign to say other staff are fit to work?? Breaks are lousy and getting full time anything/ promotion is very hard so is switching departments, all of which we are told are very plausible from the beginning. Poorly trained staff and managers promoted cannot cope with the issues. Poor rotas mean breaks get mixed up,section swapping to cover lack of staff meaning your section is neglected which you are you hen pulled up on. Terrible communication re new products and crucial changes. Manager forgot to put me on basic training 4 times when I stated and forgot to even tell me 3 times! Promises seldom followed up on from staff surveys and fy meetings so why ask what we want to change?

For a company priding itself on organisation,saving time and stress for customers we fail and we fail at doing so for our own staff. too much fluff,too many promises lead staff tired and deflated. Simple things could be fixed to make life much easier rather than investing time in pointless ones. Listen to your staff & lead by example.

Management is a good ol' boys club

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Medical / Dental / Life
    I used to think there were a lot more when I started 3 years ago, crazy how i can only think of this one now.

Cons

The IKEA Values are just corporate rhetoric, used on official documents to tell you how to do your job better but nobody actually lives by them, at least not at this location.
    Management says they care about employee issues but actions speak otherwise
    The location GM and Service Office are spoon fed lies, inaccurate statistics and nobody does anything about it when it is brought to their attention. Nobody wants to hear that truth.
    Way behind on technology hardware/applications - painfully so
    Worse scheduling I have ever experienced in a corporation of this magnitude. Expect to have no evenings and weekends to yourself.

Stop trading each other's jobs without even posting an opening.
    Actually listen to people in positions that have the pulse of the store. Get out of your cocoon of obliviousness and talk to others outside your inner circle regarding the real challenges facing coworkers
    Learn what your subordinates actually do, so you don't look moronic when you tell them they should be doing something they already excel at doing or have been doing for some time.
    Read your emails and empty your inboxes, it is completely unacceptable that a senior level manager cannot get back to coworkers for weeks because "Sorry, i have 400+ emails in my box" . This goes to show that either you are not organized or just don't care.

Great Company, Bad Pay.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid time off is AWESOME, it accumulates pretty quickly and they let you use it pretty much whenever you want. Medical insurance is very affordable. Everyone that works here is very friendly. I've met some of my closest friends at this job.

Cons

I work 40 hours a week and don't make enough money to feed myself or even rent a bedroom when the managers are making $100,000 a year. If they can afford to pay the managers that much, they can afford to pay the hard working employees more than $10/hr. There aren't any opportunities to move up in the company, at least at this store.

Fight for your employees to get paid fairly.

Great company culture

Current Employee - Frontline Cashier in Bloomington, MN
    Current Employee - Frontline Cashier in Bloomington, MN

I have been working at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company really takes care of its employees. Break rooms are awesome, including a quiet room with books that people can take or leave as they wish and a room with games and a jukebox. On the busiest days, every employee got free food. Requesting time off was easy. For the most part, everybody I worked with was great.

Cons

I would have liked being able to see my coworkers on a more consistent basis, but the nature of the job meant that people always had different schedules.

its a okay experience , a lot of work sometimes!

Current Employee - Logistics Co- Worker in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Logistics Co- Worker in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at IKEA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

customers are cool, they all love ikea.the 401k is good

Cons

some times they give you the run around...i hate that

don't try to play us like we are fools

Flexible hours in exchange for being underemployed. It's a good 2nd job but not a primary job.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at IKEA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get a Christmas gift every year. They also host an annual employee picnic.

Cons

They lure a lot of college students in the door with the promise of tuition reimbursement. They won't tell you that all non-management employees are not eligible under new rules. Tuition cost are covered if it directly relates to the position above you & that you are trying to get. Only upper level management, HR, and IT require a degree so if you're not already a team lead and just a regular coworker, you're automatically disqualified.

I regret my time working for Ikea because I accepted the low hours, in hope of the benefits that were offered.

Brainless corporate goons

Former Employee - Ikea Cashier
    Former Employee - Ikea Cashier

I worked at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at IKEA has it's positive attributes. There are benefits, a generally friendly work in environment in experience, and you will not be micromanaged.

Cons

Do not work in cash. Their cash policy is so stringent most cashiers avoid cashiering in favor of non-cashiering duties. Even if you're a part-time worker you will have to work most weekends and might find it difficult to days off.