IKEA

Updated December 16, 2014
3.5

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall
Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • i believe that work-life balance would be good and working enviroments are all friendly (in 29 reviews)

• Great benefits package is the only reason I have stayed with this company for so long (in 65 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 20 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

All about the culture

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

Do your job loud and you'll advance.

Cons

If you're not Swedish you're not on the fast track.

None

Great company to work for

I have been working at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company values, offers benefits to ALL LEVELS of employees, closed on major holidays, provides a good work/life balance, easy to advance, open door policy with management and higher ups. They really do take care of their employees.

Cons

Ugly unifoms.

HR needs to better explain certain policies, that are crucial instead of just generalizing.

HR needs to provide more in depth training.

IKEA is a great company to work for if you like the retail industry

I have been working at IKEA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good if you are full-time. Dental and vision available for part-timers. Generous PTO. IKEA hires people who are good at working as part of a team which means when it is super busy everyone pulls together (without squabbling) to get the job done. I know of several people who take extended time off yearly to visit family in other countries and have no problem getting time off. The philosophy of getting things done the easiest, best way is followed; managers don't micromanage people. They let co-workers work the way they want to as long as the job gets done and you're not breaking any rules. I would like to work for corporate IKEA.

Cons

Getting cross-trained for some variety is not doable because of scheduling, hours, budgets, etc. It is talked about but never gets done. It's retail so the hours are not stable. Managers get weekends off a couple of times a month but the rest do not.

overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company culture that really values its co-workers. Excellent benefits: medical, vision, dental, 401K and tuition reimbursement for education that relates to your role. Generous paid time off that accrues during hours worked, at a rate that increases the longer you've been with the company.
    My particular position as a visual merchandiser has great hours- Monday-Friday from 6-230. Co-workers must wear a uniform but no restrictions on hair (cut/color), tattoos, piercings, etc... Company culture allows a lot of room for taking initiative and learning from your mistakes. There are also quite a few travel opportunities. Likes to promote from within. Casual work environment.

Cons

Low pay. Sometimes unprofessional work environment with petty office politics. Not very technologically advanced. Tension between the professed company values and management that wants to impose a more American business model. The role of the communication and interior design team is often under valued by store management.

It was nice working here but management sucks

Current Employee - Ikea FOOD Cashier in East Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Ikea FOOD Cashier in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

The pay was good and if your working there during xmas you get a gift,

Cons

management sucks, some dont even know what there are doing but expect you to know everything, also i got no training so i had to learn how to do everything on my own, and i had a question they seemed annoyed.

all the management should be on the same page because they all had something different to say.

Great atmosphere, great job for the retail sector.

Current Employee - Bistro Coworker in Schaumburg, IL
    Current Employee - Bistro Coworker in Schaumburg, IL

I have been working at IKEA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paid time off, paid sick leave, christmas gift

Cons

overwhelming volume of customers at times

More flexibility with weekend scheduling, more crowd control.

store manager
    handle all daily operations

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

focsing and passion on work

Cons

nonono nil nil nil nil

Great Company

Current Employee - Cashier
    Current Employee - Cashier

I have been working at IKEA part-time

Pros

Benefits: They offer great benefits, and the longer you work here, the better they get.
    Discount: You get 15% off of everything. Even discounted items. When it comes to buying furniture, 15% does a lot.
    Co-workers: The people at the Ikea I work for are all very down to Earth and fun people to work with. They do a good job of hiring people that work well together. And most of the team leads / immediate managers are awesome.
    Moving up in the company: Every co-worker gets an interview when applying for a position, which means they let you choose where in the store you want to be and you can move up fairly quickly if you have the motivation.

Cons

Upper Management: They are very slow with handling things and not always helpful. Sometimes they seem unorganized.
    Compensation: The pay is a little low and a lot of the positions are part time.

Listen to your employees and try to handle things in a more timely manner.

I have loved every minute of working for and with this company. I plan on staying with the company and working my way up

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at IKEA full-time

Pros

There is an atmosphere of openness and good communication. Hard work is expected and valued, and roles are clearly defined.

Cons

You have to be on your feet a lot, and are constantly busy.

Hate working there. Horrible managers

Former Employee - Restaurant in East Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Restaurant in East Palo Alto, CA

I worked at IKEA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good pay rate that's it

Cons

Team leaders were always talking about each other. Manager did not know what he was doing. Hours were cut.