IKEA Reviews

Updated September 12, 2014
3.6

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall
Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits, Store Manager who really cares about everyone, fun place to work (in 55 reviews)

• Great team, good benefits, great work-life balance, opportunities for development & growth (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 18 reviews)

More Highlights

Kitchen Planner

Current Employee - IKEA Kitchen Seller
    Current Employee - IKEA Kitchen Seller

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Pay is great at start. Pay is more than most other departments. It is a specialist position and you can get paid ok. There benefits are great, they do take care of people there.

Cons

Too much politics. NOT ENOUGH STAFF. A lot of empty promises for advancing ones development there (even when asked). They recently began paying more than minimum wage for any position... but what about those that have been there for years??? They love to wiggle there way out of questions on salary.

STEERING. Spend a day in our department. Don't just walk by, talk to us.
    See how it is to really great people and sell a kitchen, it's not as easy as you may think it is. We are customer service, sales people, kitchen designers, installation helpers, countertop specialists, we are cashiers, we set up services like the home delivery department and we know how to sell all of showroom. Can you do all that? I think that we are underpayed for all that we do. We do get payed ok, but there is a big gap between Team Leads and upper management. We are on the floor with customers.

Great stepping stone

Current Employee - Call Center Representative  in  Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Benefits are great, co-workers are cool and office building is actually nice. There was also many growth opportunities.

Cons

Change of schedules, outdated technology and backwards policies.

Management doesn't care about it's employees.

Current Employee - Sales Co-Worker  in  Covina, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Covina, CA

I have been working at IKEA part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food on weekends, some of the benefits.

Cons

Management really expects so much from their employees, and only care about making money.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Careful of the Kool-Aid!

Current Employee - Receptionist  in  Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Receptionist in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at IKEA part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits for those working over 21 hours. 401K plan. Reduced rates on meals. Culture among coworkers is wonderful. Hire 50+ year olds.

Cons

Micro-managed. Upper management in need of a system of checks and balances and accountabliltiy. HR is the governing body and that needs to be addressed—no part of a business should be granted that carte blanche. My advice to anyone looking at pursuing a job/career with IKEA is to look at the turn-around of the particular store and make an informed decision, I also recommend a person talk with coworkers on the floor and gain insight to the particular stores culture. There is a huge pay difference between managment and hourly coworkers—considering IKEAs profit margin, I would have preferred to see it spread a bit more fairly! IKEA also needs to reconsider the once-a-year pay increases which are meager at best, increases should be based upon contributions to the company, efforts and advancement.

Look around you and realize you're being rewarded financially by the efforts of your staff. A college degree should stand for something and a career cannot be based upon nepotism, it has to be earned fairly. Stores need to present themselves to potential hires in a fair light and discuss wages.

Decent

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

Flexible schedules, friendly staff, solid management

Cons

Not enough hours, no advancement

Pay more, offer advancement,

Good till the new GM came.

I worked at IKEA

Pros

Company overall has lots of perks and benefits.

Cons

Poor GM's that come in after having no applicable experience and presume to know or not care enough to know what you truly do.
    Favotism in some respects to tenured managers.

Be fair and impartial.
    Hire or place GM's that know what their job is.

What a Swede Deal!

Current Employee - Logistics Manager
    Current Employee - Logistics Manager

I have been working at IKEA full-time for less than a year

Pros

First and foremost, the majority of the employees are happy to work at IKEA, you can tell in their attitudes and actions. There is a great sense of equality, the senior leadership in a store sits at a group of desks and wears the same casual uniforms as everyone else without coming off as being better than the rest of the team. There is a great sense of inclusion in decision making processes, and the company goes way above and beyond to provide a pleasant work environment for its employees. Gotta love the Swedishness! Employees get a great deal on meals which goes easy on the wallet. There is a lot of opportunity for promotion/movement between departments, stores, and countries. IKEA is a growing company with a lot of potential in the US, the brand is becoming stronger and stronger and it is exciting to be a part of a unique shopping experience.

Cons

There are no Cons to mention other than it is different. There is almost some culture shock, but in a good way.

Awesome place to work.

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

Great environment to work.
    They really take care of their employees.

Cons

There is nothing negative about Ikea.

No advice.

Awesome Place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at IKEA full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great company who have great values. Not your typical corporate culture.

Cons

None so far. A great place to work!

Overall great, solid company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at IKEA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun, fast-paced, flexible schedule, awesome benefits and vacation time. Lots of change going on all of the time. Focus on sustainability and being environmentally conscious.

Cons

The enjoyment, or lack thereof, your job all depends on your department manager. Rules can be followed or ignored depending on who yoy report to. Favortism runs rampant. Voice survey isn't taken seriously even though you are forced to give feedback annually.

Ensure rules/policies are fairly applied across all areas. Listen to those voice results and weed out poor managers! Employees don't leave bad jobs, they leave bad managers!

Worked for IKEA? Contribute to the Community!