IKEA Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.5

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall
Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits package is the only reason I have stayed with this company for so long (in 62 reviews)

• The work/life balance for the most part is good (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for, learned so much and met so many different people. Very diverse.

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at IKEA part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is great. Very flexible. Oppurtunities to travel.

Cons

Lack of hours. Lack of ownership and trust within departments.

Management needs to be more interested in what is going on within their departments. Oppurtunities for adequate training in order to advance is also needed. Also, more hours should be avaliable for coworkers. Even with the pay is great...it doesn't really mean muchb if your workinf 15-20 hrs a week.

Brainless corporate goons

Former Employee - Ikea Cashier
    Former Employee - Ikea Cashier

I worked at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Working at IKEA has it's positive attributes. There are benefits, a generally friendly work in environment in experience, and you will not be micromanaged.

Cons

Do not work in cash. Their cash policy is so stringent most cashiers avoid cashiering in favor of non-cashiering duties. Even if you're a part-time worker you will have to work most weekends and might find it difficult to days off.

Incredible company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

I have been working at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Here is a company who not only cares about its community, but knows that in order to do so they need to take care of their employees. I have never seen a better group of individuals in one place than at IKEA. The best benefit package I have seen bar none.

Cons

The pay is low, great for recent grads and individuals with no family. Otherwise, Their pay is the highest in the retail industry and you can live off it, just turn in your Hummer and buy a Corolla.

Stay on task. If they continue to execute their culture, it will hands down be the best place I have ever worked for.

DO NOT WORK IN THE RESTAURANT

Former Employee - Server in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Server in Frisco, TX

I worked at IKEA part-time (more than an year)

Pros

pay is decent, christmas gifts, great benefits, everyone around is so friendly

Cons

unorganized, horrible management, always drama, managers are never satisfied

treat your employees how you would want to be treated

Terrible place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility with one's schedule. That's it.

Cons

Low pay, unprofessional management, no opportunity for advancement, yearly wage increases are cents to the dollar, unsafe working conditions, they claim that they are all about their employees but in reality it's all about how much harder they want you to work so that leadership can get their yearly bonuses, benefits suck, IKEA has been sued three times for unpaid overtime and time off since I've worked there, this company is toxic and an unhealthy place to work for, and all of this leads to high turnover rate. Don't work there if you are looking for career advancement or a good paying job.

Stop giving your coworkers false hopes on advancement, treat them as people and not robots.

Ikea's atmosphere is all Politics

Current Employee - Co-worker- Sales Floor in East Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Co-worker- Sales Floor in East Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at IKEA part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Its a great company with great benefits, low pay.

Cons

Unfortunately one has to Kiss up to the managers and store manager to get a higher position

Please provide equal opportunity to all the candidates, do not already plan who going to fit in ahead of time at the EPA store. All politics

SO SO

Current Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Co-Worker in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Discount and Location, great coworkers if your manager knows how to hire people and not just bodies

Cons

Poor management and opportunities for advancement.

Train managers to not only manage product but also people, care about the people who bring your profits.

Wow.

I worked at IKEA as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The hourly rate was above minimum wage for me. Great products and atmosphere. Wholesome lunches ($3), free coffee for employees, fun work, decent break times.

Cons

I said hello to several co workers on several occasions and they said absolutely nothing. That set the tone for my entire time working at this company. They say you can be yourself but to be real they should add "but only if we like you." You have to be in the clique or you won't make it there. If you just like to do your job, pay your bills, and go home, this is not the place for you as it is sort of like highschool. The harder you work, the more of a chump you will be. The slackers are "cool".

I would advise all meetings be held in private with the appropriate documentation and everything. I suggest letting the H1 employees know of their progress or lack there of so that they are given a chance to improve before termination or end of trail period. I suggest putting more importance on a job well done than the social side of. My department lost money due to outright negligence. More time is spent talking than working.

Kitchen Planner

Current Employee - IKEA Kitchen Seller
    Current Employee - IKEA Kitchen Seller

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Pay is great at start. Pay is more than most other departments. It is a specialist position and you can get paid ok. There benefits are great, they do take care of people there.

Cons

Too much politics. NOT ENOUGH STAFF. A lot of empty promises for advancing ones development there (even when asked). They recently began paying more than minimum wage for any position... but what about those that have been there for years??? They love to wiggle there way out of questions on salary.

STEERING. Spend a day in our department. Don't just walk by, talk to us.
    See how it is to really great people and sell a kitchen, it's not as easy as you may think it is. We are customer service, sales people, kitchen designers, installation helpers, countertop specialists, we are cashiers, we set up services like the home delivery department and we know how to sell all of showroom. Can you do all that? I think that we are underpayed for all that we do. We do get payed ok, but there is a big gap between Team Leads and upper management. We are on the floor with customers.

Great stepping stone

Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Call Center Representative in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits are great, co-workers are cool and office building is actually nice. There was also many growth opportunities.

Cons

Change of schedules, outdated technology and backwards policies.