IKEA Reviews

Updated October 23, 2014
3.5

IKEA CEO Peter Agnefjall
Peter Agnefjall

Pros
  • Great benefits package is the only reason I have stayed with this company for so long (in 62 reviews)

• The work/life balance for the most part is good (in 26 reviews)

Cons
  • work life balance is not always at the forfront for coworkers (in 18 reviews)

• coming from a part time you will not choose to do a full time job or work more hours (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Good till the new GM came.

I worked at IKEA

Pros

Company overall has lots of perks and benefits.

Cons

Poor GM's that come in after having no applicable experience and presume to know or not care enough to know what you truly do.
    Favotism in some respects to tenured managers.

Be fair and impartial.
    Hire or place GM's that know what their job is.

Good company and good values when they practiced...

Current Employee - Front Line Team Lead
    Current Employee - Front Line Team Lead

I have been working at IKEA full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits and pay are by far way better then I've had elsewhere. The work/life balance for the most part is good. Everyone is friendly and always okay with answering your questions. The values when actually practiced make Ikea a very good company to work for. Depending on the type of position you have within the company your opportunities for growth can be endless.

Cons

Depending on the type of management you have and what your position is within the company your development in the company will probably result in no actual development at all. Upper management or "steering" tends to act like they are above everyone. Not all the stores are the same when it comes to how they are managed and how managers are allowed to act/get away with. If you are wanting a part time coworker position you'll be fine because you don't have to deal with upper management constantly but being a manager at Ikea is like being in the twilight zone or being back in high school.

Stop judging everyone and speaking badly about them, if you are a manager but literally lack ALL management skills and don't care you that you have no idea how to be a manager or run your department, just leave and stop making everyone else miserable also. Just because you offer better pay and benefits doesn't mean you get to walk all over people and expect the world of them especially if you never try to help or develop them along the way. If you are going to push the values down the coworkers throats make sure you are practicing them yourself, and please please PLEASE STOP putting people into positions that in no way are qualified for them and then expect them to know everything without the proper training.

Depends on your location

Former Employee - Sales Supply Management in Orlando, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Supply Management in Orlando, FL

I worked at IKEA full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits are good and the people you work with are fun. Overall most jobs are not hard and you will not be expected to do a ton.

Cons

compensation is left to be desired and the management is clicky, if you get in with the right people you can make some good moves but most people work towards a fake carrot they will never be allowed to achieve.

look more into who is running each store. IKEA can be heaven or hell to work for depending on your stores management team

Downhill

I have been working at IKEA

Pros

They have good benefits if you are full time or salary. Management are paid well above their responsibility level. Used to promote from within but has changed this policy in recent years. Annual bonus program if stores qualify. Annual gift, of something costing under $100. Coworker 15% discount. Some tuition aid. Does pay to send coworkers to build up and open new stores if they are mobile.

Cons

IKEA has changed over the years I've been there. In Europe it still has it's ideals and treats people well, in part I think to unions. We have not been allowed to unionize here. IKEA North America is just like any other big American company now. Annual bonus program's rules change every year so we are never sure if or how or why we do or do not get anything. Managers get one regardless. Has taken to hiring from the outside as internal coworkers have become disenfranchised with the franchise, and are passed up for fresh blood. Does not have a fair pay scale, despite recent press about raising starting hourly rate to $10.50/hour. Coworkers with years of experience still make less, and have to train higher paid newcomers. Pay not adjusted for tenure. National HR department useless call center.

Builder

Former Employee - Builder
    Former Employee - Builder

I worked at IKEA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

First Job ever, it required very low skill, and was a lot of fun building furniture all day. It had good pay at the time.

Cons

I can't think of any cons, but it did require some manual labor leaving you very tired at the end of the day.

Keep up the good work, and I like that they didn't micro manage us.

Mixed feeling

Former Employee - Interior Design Co-worker in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Interior Design Co-worker in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at IKEA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great health benefit, interesting work, friendly co-workers, uniform not have to worry about clothes, decent salary for a retail environment, good company values

Cons

Abusive, indecisive micro-manager was poor at delegating, scheduling and managing staff. Staff morale was low. Seems like upper management turned a blind eye, or were just weak and lazy.

Great place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Co-Worker in College Park, MD
    Current Employee - Sales Co-Worker in College Park, MD

I have been working at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very accommodating of part-time work schedule so I can go to school. Great co-workers and a fun work environment. Co-worker cafeteria with three dollar meals. Company discount is excellent. The respect individuality, no restrictions on hair length, color, or style, visible piercings and tattoos are ok. Pay is better than average for retail.

Cons

It's a retail job so lots of standing and interesting customers. Three dollar lunch is not the highest quality but it's healthier than fast-food. Can't ask too much for three dollars.

Overall a good company.

Current Employee - Logistics Co- Worker II in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Logistics Co- Worker II in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great company culture.
    Decent pay.
    Good training.
    Good for a part-time job.
    They take and process feedback well.
    Extra hours opportunities are plenty.
    The food is really good and cheap

Cons

Heavy lifting a frequent necessity.
    Benefits take forever to kick in.
    Management is mostly people who have been there a long time and many are not a good fit for the position.
    Training happens slowly.
    The four eye principle can slow things down.
    The vendors we use sell an inefficient product on contract and should probably be changed.

The management probably is aware of the existing flaws- they're a by-product of providing opportunities. The database systems they use could be better, but an overhaul of the system could theoretically take a while and be expensive. Replacement of the Data Terminals could also be of some benefit, but I'm sure they have smarter people than me working on it.

IKEA has been an amazing opportunity filled with advancement and relations.

Current Employee - Team Lead
    Current Employee - Team Lead

I have been working at IKEA full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay, values, leadership, advancement, opportunity to grow, benefits

Cons

can be overwhelming sometimes with new co-workers, and and new customers

Create a better way to explain to customers how to shop at IKEA.

Home Furnishing Sales Coworker

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I worked at IKEA part-time (less than an year)

Pros

benefits, people, discount
    I wish I could have stayed longer but I got a job overseas.

Cons

not always enough people working at times