IKON Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014
Updated July 29, 2014

2.6

IKON Chairman and CEO, Ricoh Americas Corporation and Ricoh Americas Holdings, Inc. Kevin Togashi
Kevin Togashi

Pros
  • Most of the people I worked with locally were good people (in 8 reviews)

• Liked the people I worked with and working Major accounts (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Area leader claims to be supportive of a work life balance but in actuallity nothing like what is said (in 4 reviews)

• IKON makes their sales people look like incompetent morons (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

local account exec with experience

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IKON full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

knew what to expect there, difficult and backwards processes to follow, had to allow several weeks for equipment deliveries and lots of time for service

Cons

Tough environment to succeed from management to support and corporate. not a great place to be, not easy to get paid

10 plus years of sales experience including territory rep, major account rep and strategic account executive.

Former Employee - Major Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at IKON full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

There are some very good people who work at IKON and take pride in their work.

Cons

Alco Standard was built on a go to market strategy that was flexible, competitive and evangelistic. Following its conversion to IKON, years ago, they moved away from these strengths and essentially followed the Xerox model. "Buy from us because of who we are". Over the years, sales reps who had previously thrived selling millions of dollars in equipment revenue left. In an effort to address the loss of sales revenue and profitability, they have tried to cut cost, by driving sales reps out of the company and by eliminating key training programs for new hires. Managers are either promoted to early and receive no training, or they are being brought in from the outside without an understanding of the business. I would not invest my time or my money with this company, which is unfortunate, because it did not have to be this way.

Decentralize sales strategy allow creativity at the local marketplace level. Management is not simply having multiple levels of people asking for spreadsheet reports.

After 20 years plus, the experience working for them kept getting consistently worse with less respect for tenure.

Former Employee - Service Technician  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at IKON full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

At the time I left the company, they still employed full time 40 hour per week employees and forced to offer group health insurance, although very expensive and inadequate.

Cons

Employees are constantly monitored, graded and judged by "performance" numbers that are as hard to achieve success with as winning the lottery, with the rules and chances of "winning" constantly changing and adjusted to be more and more difficult. Thus, with little or no chance of achieving high scores, the company has plenty of reason not to award pay raises.

There`s way too much upper management at Malvern, PA that has too much time on their hands and need for justifying their jobs by finding constant new strategy for interrogating and penalizing the lower and middle class employees. This was obviously considered a priority to penalize employees rather than promote or help them and very little focus or regard for the consumer customers that the company serves.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IKON- the place to skin your knees before moving up in the world.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at IKON

Pros

Great health benefits- Great opportunities if you are willing to move to more opportunity rich cities outside of Wisconsin. If you are lucky, they hire a great manager.

Cons

stingy on ancillary benefits such as travel and expense reimbursement and cost of conducting business. A lot of personal time and money is expected to be incvested into your job. If you are lucky they hire a great manager. Management and leadership skills are seriously lacking at IKON, and even worse at Ricoh - the manufacturer that bought IKON.

Invest in leadership training and talent management instead of living in spreadsheets as a management practice.

Medicore since Ricoh takeover

Current Employee - Site Supervisor  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Flexible Hours
    No micromanagement
    Management listens to my suggestions and directives
    Overall, the employees are good to work with.

Cons

Not enough communication on updates
    Too slow to implement processes
    Management not as supportive when issues arise
    No growth opportunities

Since the Ricoh merger was acquired, there has been a reduction of quality service IKON is used to providing.

A perfect job for my current situation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly employees, decent pay

Cons

No growth opportunity, repetitive tasks

Great potential when economic conditions permit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Friendly co-workers make coming to work pleasurable. Everyone is in the same business and tries to help when you need it.

Cons

Some of the downsides include the compensation plan when compared to the number of expenses typically incurred on a monthly basis.

Increase the base salary or start covering more sales expenses. Economic conditions effect what is going on in the customer's business, thus influencing their decisions on equipment.

It has been a very enlightening experience. IKON is an excellent company to work for. I have the best manager ever.

Current Employee - Senior Site Service Specialist  in  Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Site Service Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Employee Development Programs
    Excellent Tuition Reimbursement Program
    Not Micro Managed

Cons

I would like to make more money
    Lift cases of paper 4 out of 5 days

Make pay relative to the industry in todays job market

My experience at IKON Office Solutions was not being recognized for my accomplishments.

Former Employee - Billing Associate  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Billing Associate in Houston, TX

I worked at IKON

Pros

Insurance and time off were great incentives. Co-workers made it tolerable to come to work every day.

Cons

Too many daily reports. Unjust metric performance reviews. No overtime but employee expectations were do your job in 8 hours.

Be more diversified, especially with non-african americans. No support from managers and they definitely did not have your back.

It's all about micromanaging and the bottom line and nothing else

Current Employee - Site Leader  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Site Leader in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at IKON

Pros

There are some great people in the organization.

Cons

High turnover. Little appreciation for truly awesome employees. Very isolating with little interaction between teams at other locations. Send in a million useless reports. Train until you drop. Please the customer to the point where your actions don't even make sense anymore. Many teams are practically at war with their own customers. At the end of the day it's all about the bottom line and how much you can bill your customer. There is little support for team members who need it. Even if you do everything right, you won't see much for your efforts. Don't even think about asking for a raise.

Get organized! Team members are busy working for their customers and cannot spend a lot of time on reports that don't get read and training that doesn't really matter. Incentive pay for bringing in revenue, cutting costs or customer retention would boost morale in a big way.

Worked for IKON? Contribute to the Community!