IKON

IKON Reviews

Updated October 3, 2014
Updated October 3, 2014
2.6

IKON Chairman and CEO, Ricoh Americas Corporation and Ricoh Americas Holdings, Inc. Kevin Togashi
Kevin Togashi

Pros
  • Most of the people I worked with locally were good people (in 8 reviews)

• Liked the people I worked with and working Major accounts (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Area leader claims to be supportive of a work life balance but in actuallity nothing like what is said (in 5 reviews)

• Horrible lying upper management, no integrity whatsoever (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Just another copier company

Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Sales in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at IKON full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company for your first sales job. Good production devices.

Cons

Too many solutions,that they cannot implement. Difficult or impossible to get commissions paid. Service is cutting corners ,to get profitable again. They want to be a services company,it's a nightmare. Selling phones,IT services,cloud storage,marketing services, too much delagating and finger pointing,no leadership.

Get involved,get out of the office

UGH - Flaky, Moody ever changing business vision causes all sorts of problems

Former Employee - Manager II in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Seattle, WA

I worked at IKON full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some really great employees and a good manager here or there. Contracted companies treat employees well at site locations (we were contract office management/supplies/printing/document mngt etc type role)

Cons

Low pay rates for front line employees- As a manager I had to try to convince my employes that a 2.5% raise was a good thing - hard to do when they are only making $11/hour to begin with. If you took/were offered a promotion that was 2 or more 'tiers' above your current status they could still 'only' give you a 5% raise -even if you'd make 15-20% more if they hired you from the outside.

Mngt was not communicative and often passive aggressive.
    Lots of documenting things for the sake of documenting, not for a functional purpose.

I sat in meetings with senior mngt and had them discuss my account where I'd worked on the front lines for years and factually inaccurate information was being used to make decisions - when I updated/corrected information - I was disregarded and ignored -this was silly.

local account exec with experience

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Englewood, CO

I have been working at IKON full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

knew what to expect there, difficult and backwards processes to follow, had to allow several weeks for equipment deliveries and lots of time for service

Cons

Tough environment to succeed from management to support and corporate. not a great place to be, not easy to get paid

10 plus years of sales experience including territory rep, major account rep and strategic account executive.

Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Major Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at IKON full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

There are some very good people who work at IKON and take pride in their work.

Cons

Alco Standard was built on a go to market strategy that was flexible, competitive and evangelistic. Following its conversion to IKON, years ago, they moved away from these strengths and essentially followed the Xerox model. "Buy from us because of who we are". Over the years, sales reps who had previously thrived selling millions of dollars in equipment revenue left. In an effort to address the loss of sales revenue and profitability, they have tried to cut cost, by driving sales reps out of the company and by eliminating key training programs for new hires. Managers are either promoted to early and receive no training, or they are being brought in from the outside without an understanding of the business. I would not invest my time or my money with this company, which is unfortunate, because it did not have to be this way.

Decentralize sales strategy allow creativity at the local marketplace level. Management is not simply having multiple levels of people asking for spreadsheet reports.

After 20 years plus, the experience working for them kept getting consistently worse with less respect for tenure.

Former Employee - Service Technician in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Service Technician in Boston, MA

I worked at IKON full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At the time I left the company, they still employed full time 40 hour per week employees and forced to offer group health insurance, although very expensive and inadequate.

Cons

Employees are constantly monitored, graded and judged by "performance" numbers that are as hard to achieve success with as winning the lottery, with the rules and chances of "winning" constantly changing and adjusted to be more and more difficult. Thus, with little or no chance of achieving high scores, the company has plenty of reason not to award pay raises.

There`s way too much upper management at Malvern, PA that has too much time on their hands and need for justifying their jobs by finding constant new strategy for interrogating and penalizing the lower and middle class employees. This was obviously considered a priority to penalize employees rather than promote or help them and very little focus or regard for the consumer customers that the company serves.

IKON- the place to skin your knees before moving up in the world.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Madison, WI

I worked at IKON

Pros

Great health benefits- Great opportunities if you are willing to move to more opportunity rich cities outside of Wisconsin. If you are lucky, they hire a great manager.

Cons

stingy on ancillary benefits such as travel and expense reimbursement and cost of conducting business. A lot of personal time and money is expected to be incvested into your job. If you are lucky they hire a great manager. Management and leadership skills are seriously lacking at IKON, and even worse at Ricoh - the manufacturer that bought IKON.

Invest in leadership training and talent management instead of living in spreadsheets as a management practice.

Medicore since Ricoh takeover

Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Site Supervisor in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Flexible Hours
    No micromanagement
    Management listens to my suggestions and directives
    Overall, the employees are good to work with.

Cons

Not enough communication on updates
    Too slow to implement processes
    Management not as supportive when issues arise
    No growth opportunities

Since the Ricoh merger was acquired, there has been a reduction of quality service IKON is used to providing.

A perfect job for my current situation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Flexible hours, friendly employees, decent pay

Cons

No growth opportunity, repetitive tasks

Great potential when economic conditions permit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lisle, IL

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Friendly co-workers make coming to work pleasurable. Everyone is in the same business and tries to help when you need it.

Cons

Some of the downsides include the compensation plan when compared to the number of expenses typically incurred on a monthly basis.

Increase the base salary or start covering more sales expenses. Economic conditions effect what is going on in the customer's business, thus influencing their decisions on equipment.

It has been a very enlightening experience. IKON is an excellent company to work for. I have the best manager ever.

Current Employee - Senior Site Service Specialist in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Senior Site Service Specialist in Detroit, MI

I have been working at IKON

Pros

Employee Development Programs
    Excellent Tuition Reimbursement Program
    Not Micro Managed

Cons

I would like to make more money
    Lift cases of paper 4 out of 5 days

Make pay relative to the industry in todays job market