IM Flash Technologies

IM Flash Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

IM Flash Technologies Co-CEOs Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani

Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani

Pros
  • The people are great and the economy in Utah seems very strong(in 7 reviews)

• Pay is good and benfits are good if they are not cut again(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Rotating shift work affects your home life(in 6 reviews)

• They represented living by core values and being a technology leader, but we wear pagers (seriously(in 5 reviews)

Good place to work

Industrial Engineer (Current Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsThere is always a feeling that management is trying to make this a good place to work. New programs, initiatives, and rewards are introduced to make IM Flash a better place to work, and associate with.

ConsToo much tie to Micron. There is a lot of influence from the parent company Micron with next to zero influence from Intel. I bonuses always seemed tied to Micron performance and Micron financials.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the cord from Micron, and speak up for our employees. If we are doing well then we need to be rewarded, it should never be determined by Micron.

Solid company to work for

Industrial Engineer (Former Employee) Lehi, UT

Pros- Stable job
    - Smart people to work with
    - Company has the backing of Intel and Micron

Cons- Bonuses are few and far between
    - No upward mobility

Always changing

ProsIMFT is a good place to work if you can put in the time, learn quickly, and adjust on a day to day basis.

ConsSilos are alive and present at IMFT. Rules are different depending on which area you currently work in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down the walls and encourage working between departments.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsThe senior leadership are overall great people who care about their employees, and are experienced in the semiconductor industry.

ConsLimited to only one site--lost international site in Singapore and other U.S. manufacturing sites. Not sure how long Intel will stay focused on the memory business. The memory business is very cyclical.

Advice to Senior ManagementBonus takeaways every couple of years leads to a real concern among employees about IM Flash's future.

Not What It Seems

Human Resources (Current Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsGood local employer for non-degreed or HR workforce.
    Attractive for new college graduates looking for work life balance in this area.

ConsIn HR you have a huge influence from the local popular religion. There are only a few of us not of this faith and it's tough.
    Hard in HR to hear the popular leadership message and see in the background that layoff efforts are going on. The company core values are only on the walls. Upper leadership has other agendas.

Advice to Senior ManagementBeing truthfull in your daily actions will get company employees to be loyal and help to get them behind you to deliver on company objectives. The secret job placements and list of low performers is already out there. The team members at IM Flash want to deliver high results, but management seems to thwart this with their good ol boy program and protection of the PEE, PIE, HR, and QE managers. It's hard for HR people to execute with the mixed messages.

OK For Now

Manufacturing Technician (Current Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsGood intial wage for area. I make more than I did at last job.
    Seemed like a good work schedule with a lot of time off for my part time job and family activities.

ConsHard system to figure out if you are doing wrong or right, how to advance, or what to do. Seems like I don't know the right people.
    Tough management style with no sympathy for life events. We feel like the last humans before robots take these jobs and are punished for having things come up in the meantime.
    People are written up for being sick and having car break down in the same month.
    Unfair treatment of employees, the bad trickles down to us but we have no control over most things. No matter what happens we have cutbacks and we are affected but the managers get their retirement match and keep their long term bonus which is $50-100k. Mine is a few hundred dollars.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet in touch with team members or you will see more and more of us leave and not know why. Maybe you don’t care, but we have new jobs to choose from lately in this area and don’t need to work nights and get micromanaged and PIPs from supervisors paid three times more than us to just organize a break and lunch schedule.
    Feel like there is a company lip service to make people feel good but the reality is much worse and most people in the fab are not happy.
    My friends girlfriend is in HR and she said that they made some fake posts on this website to make it look more positive because their boss said to at a meeting.

Not what I signed up for. Now my family and I are stuck!

Equipment Technician (Current Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsMoved here based on cutting edge technology and claim to promote from within.
    Utah area is nice for families and outdoor activities.
    Teamwork and schedule are attractive.

ConsMy family hates it here, as do some other people's that have moved here from other areas. My kids are persecuted and bullied due to not being mormon. I asked HR about this and they said, "there are many private schools around here". Yes, but those cost a lot of money and I can't afford it. My wife already had to take a job and we use her health care because the IM Flash plan is terrible. I would have not moved here if I would have known how this community is. The company should be more honest before making us sign a two year agreement to repay all of our moving costs and now we are stuck. My family is in tears some times to move away but I can't afford it and it makes me unhappy.
    The company pushes accountability down to the shift level. We work long hours, mandatory overtime, miss breaks, and cut corners to keep tools up, but we get hammered when company goals are not met. We are sick of being blamed for everything, and not having benefits to take care of our families in an area we don't like and now can't leave. I thought the 13th ammendment prohibited this?

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your shift management teams. Many of them now won't bring things up because they don't want to rock the boat. They are in a pinch between the fab people and their bosses.
    Don't hire techs and tell them there are opportunities to promote from within when that never happens. Last two section manager jobs were Micron people. Techs don't develop into anything.
    We only see managers at team member meetings. What do you do? Do you approve of what is happening in the fab?
    I have to work overtime on sundays but the mormons on my shift never do. Why is their time more important than mine?
    There is a high level of secrecy at this company. The values journey is now a dog and pony show that shift people joke about when a teammate has to go. The value of this is now worthless and just takes away from productivity. It is always clear that things are always going on that affect the team that we get informed about after the fact. Several team members are upset that MBA tuition assistance is being pulled. Many worked here due to benefits that aren't given and now are stuck here.

Best place to work EVER.

Production Supervisor (Current Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsThis company values the employees' talents and contributions, and it shows. You can make what you want of your career at IM Flash, and as long as your ambitions are aligned with the company's Core Values, you will receive all the support you need.

ConsThe semiconductor industry is extremely competitive and the cyclical nature is a fact that must be dealt with on occasion. When times are good, they're great...when times are bad, the team pulls together and does what is necessary to weather the storm so that we can make it through and remain at the top of our game.
    Secondly, change is the single most constant factor in this business. If you are unwilling to adapt, evolve and grow, you will not thrive or survive at IM Flash. The company will not survive if it doesn't adapt, evolve and grow either, so it's natural that the team members must embrace this factor.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Your transparency, focus on nurturing team members' talents, and respect for employees at ALL levels earns you respect in return, and a team that is eager to work together to maintain and achieve further greatness.

Depends on what you are looking for

Engineer In PEE (Current Employee) Lehi, UT

ProsRelatively good work life balance for this industry. Good benefits. Great outdoor activities available in Utah. I have found most people very approachable here and teamwork is usually good. Training is above average. Great career opportunities for management it seems. Not so much for everyone else. Good technology if you are lucky enough to be assigned to those projects.

ConsCompensation is on the lower end of the distribution for the industry. Lots of politics. Values are routinely brushed aside when there is a "business need". Isolated cases of discrimination have occurred that I am aware of. Very limited opportunity for engineers and technicians vs. just working for parent companies or competitors (recommend). It is very difficult to transfer to parent companies unless you are a >M2. At the end of the day all you are is a foundry for parent companies...that is it. Bonus takeaways are sadly common.

Advice to Senior Managementfocus on vision for the company. Seems we have no destination anymore.

company culture is not good enought for competitive semiconductor industry

Prosless stress, stable and good for ppls closeing to retirement

Consless motivation to work here with less benifit and promotion

Advice to Senior Managementmanagers have good idea but not implemented as expected. Maybe because employers are not monivated due to no good benefit and promotion.

Worked for IM Flash Technologies? Contribute to the Community!