IM Flash Technologies

Updated October 23, 2014
3.9

IM Flash Technologies Co-CEOs Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani
Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani

Pros
  • Attractive for new college graduates looking for work life balance in this area (in 10 reviews)

• The people are great and the economy in Utah seems very strong (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent (in 9 reviews)

• Joint Venture between Intel and Micron is a marriage made in purgatory, neither heaven nor hell but contracted for 10 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent company where everyone is considered a leader

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, leadership, technology, out of the world fabrication facility, safety measures taken by the upper management to make sure that this place is safe to work for every one, company makes uses of all the chances to provide each and every individual a feedback and also identifies the areas of development required for a person. This company gave the word leader a complete new meaning. Manager/Supervisor is different from Leader.

Cons

Perks aren't that great. there are a few perks but it might not be useful to every one., time off policies. i can accumualte only up to 300 hours. it would be great if they can extend that, work from home options, flexibility

Two wise leaders, who were at top level management of a company were talking. One leader said, "what if we provide all the training to the employees, they improve themselves and leave the company?"the other leader said "imagine if they stayed without these training" You people are like the second leader. You consider every one as a resource. Please keep it up and if any body doesn't feel that way, please make them feel how I feel. Love working for you people.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Buyer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Buyer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    Performance Based, you are paid for doing your job well.
    Onsite Gym (coming)

Cons

Heavy Workload
    Pressure to perform all the time

I am very happy here (and it seems like everyone else is too).

Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is an awesome company. I accepted this job right out of college and couldn't be happier with my decision. The people at work are very easy to get along with because of how the company hires. It hires only people that fit the values based culture (which is a big part of the company). It was very easy to make friends with coworkers here. I am well compensated for my time (better per hour than friends who went to top petroleum/chemical companies). We are showered with time off. I enjoy being at work.

The company is also very stable with Intel and Micron backing it. They bring both the need to change and adapt but also the stability and advancement of Intel.

Cons

This is a faster paced environment with a lot of changes in technology. If you are looking for a company where you can settle down and not do much, this is probably not the best for you. If you are into learning and growing with technology this could be a good fit for you.

If there were anything to say I would say it but you are already doing great in always taking the pulse of the company and driving improvement.

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're glad you're enjoying your time at IM Flash! Thanks for the review.

Shift Engineering.

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies

Pros

The work is satisfying. You feel like you are doing something great. It's challenging but not overwhelming. I've enjoyed working with everyone, it's a great culture.

Cons

Fast paced environment. Steep learning curve makes it difficult to move forward. They say there's a lot of lateral movement, but it's difficult to move forward.

Great Company and Great Core Value

Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is one of the most high tech companies to work in the world. Very challening and rewarding culture. Some of the brightest engineers I have worked with in the industry.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron and lacks the brand value as Intel or Micron. This is a very competitive industry so we have seen some ups and downs with the macro economic cycles.

Company has a really cool HR manager. He has continued to make IM Flash a cool company to work for. Proud of upper level managers for thier accessibility and new initiatives focused on people. We are recently getting new CEO directly from Micron. I hope he embraces IM Flash core values

Solid Semiconductor company with growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love the benefits - management works hard to make sure the benefits are 'better than the rest'. Solid programs in terms of time off, compensation, health insurance, etc. New High deductible plan is a Win-Win for company and employees.
    Challenging work makes each day different. Real problems to be solved, and the recognition program to reward those who are able to help fix/solve the problems.
    People - company is focused on bringing the right people into the company; so co-workers are strong performers, buying in to company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment, and Execution

Cons

Semiconductor industry is a roller-coaster; which can lead to both highs and lows. As a Joint Venture between Intel and Micron, we have a tendency to feel the effects of the lows longer, and not as much of the highs (depending on how both of the parent companies perform). With co-CEOs, one from each parent company; there is a tendency to follow where the parents lead in terms of cutting in the bad times; which leads to morale challenges at times

Use the political capital you have to stand up for what you feel IMFlash is doing right. Don't cave to intertia and being part of 'their' network.

Good Company to work for, but very tough to break into Management ranks due to the Micronization of upper ranks.

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and paid time off was good, coworkers on average were friendly and considerate, healthy repeating bonuses, job security (never experienced a layoff), the outdoor recreation opportunities were plentiful, the work was as challenging as you made it, never really felt micromanaged and was given lots of autonomy.

Cons

Job Advancement was slow, multiple internal interviews for the same position. Very cliquish at Management level, all former Micron Employees from Boise (a bit of an inbred society). Cultural adjustments needed for a family moving to the state of Utah (enough said).

I don't think that all employees are a part of "The Family" here...

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the location and view, the hours are pretty good and how we are affecting our future is amazing!

Cons

Growth, pay, atmosphere/culture and management

I posted a review about a week ago that was not published here...hmmm...I wonder why?...lol...well, this company sounds amazing and all but, one will know different once becoming an employee. Our core values are suppose to be Integrity, Teamwork, Execution and Commitment. I have seen very little integrity and teamwork here as everyone seems to have job security on the mind. It's all about execution here by any means necessary. Who here seems to be fully committed? Absolutely no one! I think that I have been employed with the company for a few years more than I really should have been. Before I came to this company, I had no idea what my job description was. I applied and was amazed at the possibilities that were presented before me. After years of working for this company and all the I have learned/taught myself, I had considered myself to be a valuable asset to the company. My girlfriend has a new job answering phones and she has had two raises in a year worth $1 (ANSWERING PHONES!!!). Since being employed at IM Flash Technologies for over five times as long as my girlfriend and having the knowledge that I have acquired to assist in meeting all company goals, I have only received a raise of less than thirty cents. Ha!...does that seem, at all, fair to an employee who has done so much for a company that has a system in place where it's employees are not being properly compensated for the millions and millions of dollars he/she has helped the company profit from? In my opinion, the skills that I am continually asked to learn, develop, master and certify on don't seem to have as much worth as other jobs, for example, answering phones. Why am I still here?...The classic "Good Ole Boy" System hard at work here...lol ;)

No reply to this review means that I must be on to something here...please all, have a nice day! :)

P.S. Some of the other reviews here seem fake...I wouldn't trust all of them!

Oct 23, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that your experience at IM Flash has been different than you were expecting. We actually do read every Glassdoor review in an effort to improve. We encourage you (if you haven't ... More

Decent Job, tough to build a Career

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive pay, very generous time off, decent and mostly reliable bonuses. Work is challenging, fast paced, and varied/interesting. It is a great job and works well for work/life balance.

Cons

Advancement/raises are difficult to get -- requires employee to complete a cumbersome justification document and then justify it to their manager to get advanced within their current position (feels like it's intentionally made difficult to get advanced). There is not a lot of opportunity to advance upward into new positions and the advancement that does occur is often given to those that are insiders to the former Micron group. When times are tough for the parent companies, Micron pushes the same cost cutting measures on IM Flash employees that they enforce on their own people (freeze bonuses, reduce pay, freeze 401k matching) even though we are separate business units, but the upside of employee stock options is not there for IM Flash employees when times are good.

Re-vamp the promotion/advancement process so that employees don't have to feel like they are writing and defending their doctoral dissertation to get a raise or promotion. Supervisors should have discretion to make advancements for high performers without having to go through this process or making it completely incumbent on the employee to make it happen. Work to open up more career advancement opportunities for people.

Depending on your aspirations it might not be a good place for some minorities.

Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Healthcare: Very good health benefits and on site clinic
    - Good retirement benefit plan, 100% match up to 5%.
    - Decent Education assistance program, there are better out there but also worst.

Cons

- “Good ole boy” system in place: politics run rampant.
    One has to adhere to their template in order move up or get promoted , there is disconnect between rhetoric and action. They say they encourage straight talk which is a fallacy. They say that they welcome diversity, which may be true as long as you adapt to their standard of thinking.

- IMFT fails to train their managers to account for their own personal biases towards certain minorities.
    Promotions to position of influence are reserved to those whom they are familiar with and they perceive as capable based on the criteria of likeness and/or similarity. In other words, if I am manager and I think that I do a great job at what I do you, and you remind me of me, then you must be a good manager too. Blacks, Hispanics, Gays and other minorities are hardly bound to individual contributor; rarely do you see members of these groups in managerial positions. If you don't have these aspirations then, this is a good place to work.

- Very Conservative: There are some members of the LGBT group working here but I think that they are only allowed to work here because IMFT has to comply with the law.
    Nevertheless, IMFT policy specifically says that in order for your domestic partner to receive benefits through you, you need to be married to a person of the opposite sex, which could be determined that they won't recognize gay marriage.

- Philosophy: Although this is a successful company and it will continued to be a successful company, the company does not foster an environment of creativity, integrity nor teamwork, only productivity, this is good for some people, not for me.

why even bother? I spent 7 years trying, and that is my fault. my biggest regret, I didn't quit earlier.

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to review IM Flash, and for your candor in telling us your experience. Please know that it is NEVER our intention for anyone to feel their contributions are valued less ... More

IM Flash Technologies Photos