IM Flash Technologies

3.8

IM Flash Technologies Co-CEOs Keyvan Esfarjani & Guy Blalock
Keyvan Esfarjani & Guy Blalock
1 Rating

Pros
  • Attractive for new college graduates looking for work life balance in this area (in 10 reviews)

• The people are great and the economy in Utah seems very strong (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Joint Venture between Intel and Micron is a marriage made in purgatory, neither heaven nor hell but contracted for 10 years (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Cutting Edge Technology

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is a very stable company. We never had any layoffs even in the downturn of 2009. Values its people a lot. Has a very positive environment. Company is fast paced and there is lot to learn. Lots of on-site and off-site training is available.

Cons

Company is now well known in the state or around the country. With the economy picking up it seems we are struggling with hiring good talent. Current success rate of good talent seems to be less than 50%

Need to figure out ways to attract more talent.

Decent job for people new to the semiconductor industry. Experienced should look elsewhere.

Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Operator) in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Manufacturing Technician (Operator) in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies

Pros

Health Center on-site. IM Flash does honestly care about the safety of their employees. All employees can recognize others via the R3 program (Max of $10 - Management approval for anything more). Good starting wage (only if you come from a Call-Center, Retail, or Grocery store. Experienced are altogether another matter)

Cons

IM Flash does very little for highly experienced individuals coming into the company (At least at the lower ranks). You start out at the very bottom with the proverbial "Dangling Carrot" to see how many hoops you can jump through. IMFT changes policies throughout the year to (conveniently) correspond to their annual reviews (ie: no pay increase). If you are sick, then you better come in to work and share it with everyone, because a doctors’ note excusing you means nothing (unless it's a heart transplant) and you'll end up being written up.

IM Flash goes out of their way to preach their values, which really are admirable, but there is little substance with regards to "Integrity" and "Commitment" when it comes down to implementation and listening to the employees who work in the Fab, especially the MT/MT2 level (aka: operators). There is a HUGE disconnect between management and the production floor. And I mean HUGE! "Profit for Performance" is highly askew at IM Flash: Fancy Powerpoint presentations trump hard work. I’ve worked in 6 other Semiconductor Wafer Fabs, and I’ve never worked with more rude and arrogant coworkers before, and the higher up the ladder you go, the worst it gets.

This is NOT a gay friendly company. Regardless of the experience and skills that their gay employees have or bring to the company, there is obviously nothing in their "values" to treat its gay employees as equal. IMFT has an underlying "air" about it that permeates the company at all levels. It is unsaid, but preferred, that an IMFT employee be: Religious, Republican, reflect conservative "Family Values", and promote conservative political beliefs into every nook and cranny of its culture, with little room for diversity. When it comes to advancement in the company, If you want to succeed and advance, then you better be heterosexual and married, go to church (a certain denomination of course), have at least one or more children, like sports, and go fishing or hunting with your coworkers or supervisor.

Micromanagement is king at IM Flash, with Leadership & support groups asking you the same exact questions multiple times a day via Instant Message, over and over again all throughout your shift, when they will not communicate between themselves... while literally sitting right next to each other.

When I left IM Flash, 50% of my earned vacation time was thrown away and was not paid out to me. Yes, you read that correctly. I have NEVER worked for a company that will only pay out HALF of your vacation pay upon leaving the company. These were earned & accrued hours, and not advanced hours. Just a heads-up for current Non-Exempt employees: If you plan on leaving, use ALL of your vacation hours beforehand or else you will "donate" half of them for the bottom line of the company.

If you are entering the semiconductor industry for the first time, then chances are, this would be a decent and/or good job for you. Individuals with over 10+ years of experience (I had over 25 years of experience when I started) then be prepared to start at the bottom and hope for the best and jump through the right hoops at the right time in front of the right people. There is NO negotiating with the starting wage, regardless of experience! The benefits continued to get worse while I worked there.

I had high hopes when I started with IM Flash, but IMFT is realistically just Micron Management with a lot of Intel money. Too bad they didn't inherit any of Intel's Total-Compensation (T-Comp) characteristics & policies, then it would have been worth sticking around for. I should know, I worked for Intel for 10 years.

Incoming employees with multiple years of Semiconductor experience should be paid more than the wages of those whose only work experience is that of a Call-Center or Retail (ie: WalMart)

IM Flash Technologies Response

Dec 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at IM Flash, though we're sorry it was not as positive as it could have been. You brought up a lot of concerns in your review, and we ... More

Great place to work - Shift engineering supervisor.

Current Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good potential for advancement here if you are willing to work for it.
    Time off provided for shift workers is excellent and allows for long 2-3 week vacations at times.
    Company Values truly are important to the leadership team.
    Good benefits and bonus structure.
    Technology world leader in what we do.
    Large amount of future growth on site and investment in Lehi fab leads to better than normal job stability (as much as you can have in the semiconductor field).
    Inline promotion structure leads to a good raise (~10%) with little change in job responsibilities.

Cons

JV company structure is confusing and lacks some of this bonuses of the parent companies (stock sharing/purchase).
    Yearly review process depends on market adjustments and rarely allows for raises that keep up with inflation. Rare to give a raise that is 5+%.
    The only real way to get a raise is a promotion.
    Extremely fast paced environment.
    Once in a supervisor/management position you will be required to work on off days.
    Shift teams are frequently understaffed and this strain leads to increased stress on the team and supervisor.

The yearly review process do NOT reward high contributors to the level they deserve to be, this needs to be fixed to retain them.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Buyer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Buyer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Great Benefits
    Performance Based, you are paid for doing your job well.
    Onsite Gym (coming)

Cons

Heavy Workload
    Pressure to perform all the time

Good old boys club

Current Employee - Trainer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Trainer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and pay, the amount of work doesn't tend to be overwhelming.

Cons

They don't support women in management. All management is a good old boys club. There is no promotion or support of women. The culture is completely data driven and money driven with no concept of people and their lives.

Excellent company where everyone is considered a leader

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training, leadership, technology, out of the world fabrication facility, safety measures taken by the upper management to make sure that this place is safe to work for every one, company makes uses of all the chances to provide each and every individual a feedback and also identifies the areas of development required for a person. This company gave the word leader a complete new meaning. Manager/Supervisor is different from Leader.

Cons

Perks aren't that great. there are a few perks but it might not be useful to every one., time off policies. i can accumualte only up to 300 hours. it would be great if they can extend that, work from home options, flexibility

Two wise leaders, who were at top level management of a company were talking. One leader said, "what if we provide all the training to the employees, they improve themselves and leave the company?"the other leader said "imagine if they stayed without these training" You people are like the second leader. You consider every one as a resource. Please keep it up and if any body doesn't feel that way, please make them feel how I feel. Love working for you people.

I am very happy here (and it seems like everyone else is too).

Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This is an awesome company. I accepted this job right out of college and couldn't be happier with my decision. The people at work are very easy to get along with because of how the company hires. It hires only people that fit the values based culture (which is a big part of the company). It was very easy to make friends with coworkers here. I am well compensated for my time (better per hour than friends who went to top petroleum/chemical companies). We are showered with time off. I enjoy being at work.

The company is also very stable with Intel and Micron backing it. They bring both the need to change and adapt but also the stability and advancement of Intel.

Cons

This is a faster paced environment with a lot of changes in technology. If you are looking for a company where you can settle down and not do much, this is probably not the best for you. If you are into learning and growing with technology this could be a good fit for you.

If there were anything to say I would say it but you are already doing great in always taking the pulse of the company and driving improvement.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're glad you're enjoying your time at IM Flash! Thanks for the review.

Shift Engineering.

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies

Pros

The work is satisfying. You feel like you are doing something great. It's challenging but not overwhelming. I've enjoyed working with everyone, it's a great culture.

Cons

Fast paced environment. Steep learning curve makes it difficult to move forward. They say there's a lot of lateral movement, but it's difficult to move forward.

Great Company and Great Core Value

Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is one of the most high tech companies to work in the world. Very challening and rewarding culture. Some of the brightest engineers I have worked with in the industry.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron and lacks the brand value as Intel or Micron. This is a very competitive industry so we have seen some ups and downs with the macro economic cycles.

Company has a really cool HR manager. He has continued to make IM Flash a cool company to work for. Proud of upper level managers for thier accessibility and new initiatives focused on people. We are recently getting new CEO directly from Micron. I hope he embraces IM Flash core values

Solid Semiconductor company with growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love the benefits - management works hard to make sure the benefits are 'better than the rest'. Solid programs in terms of time off, compensation, health insurance, etc. New High deductible plan is a Win-Win for company and employees.
    Challenging work makes each day different. Real problems to be solved, and the recognition program to reward those who are able to help fix/solve the problems.
    People - company is focused on bringing the right people into the company; so co-workers are strong performers, buying in to company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment, and Execution

Cons

Semiconductor industry is a roller-coaster; which can lead to both highs and lows. As a Joint Venture between Intel and Micron, we have a tendency to feel the effects of the lows longer, and not as much of the highs (depending on how both of the parent companies perform). With co-CEOs, one from each parent company; there is a tendency to follow where the parents lead in terms of cutting in the bad times; which leads to morale challenges at times

Use the political capital you have to stand up for what you feel IMFlash is doing right. Don't cave to intertia and being part of 'their' network.

IM Flash Technologies Photos