IM Flash Technologies

Updated October 23, 2014
3.9

IM Flash Technologies Co-CEOs Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani
Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani

Pros
  • Attractive for new college graduates looking for work life balance in this area (in 10 reviews)

• The people are great and the economy in Utah seems very strong (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent (in 9 reviews)

• Joint Venture between Intel and Micron is a marriage made in purgatory, neither heaven nor hell but contracted for 10 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Depending on your aspirations it might not be a good place for some minorities.

Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Healthcare: Very good health benefits and on site clinic
    - Good retirement benefit plan, 100% match up to 5%.
    - Decent Education assistance program, there are better out there but also worst.

Cons

- “Good ole boy” system in place: politics run rampant.
    One has to adhere to their template in order move up or get promoted , there is disconnect between rhetoric and action. They say they encourage straight talk which is a fallacy. They say that they welcome diversity, which may be true as long as you adapt to their standard of thinking.

- IMFT fails to train their managers to account for their own personal biases towards certain minorities.
    Promotions to position of influence are reserved to those whom they are familiar with and they perceive as capable based on the criteria of likeness and/or similarity. In other words, if I am manager and I think that I do a great job at what I do you, and you remind me of me, then you must be a good manager too. Blacks, Hispanics, Gays and other minorities are hardly bound to individual contributor; rarely do you see members of these groups in managerial positions. If you don't have these aspirations then, this is a good place to work.

- Very Conservative: There are some members of the LGBT group working here but I think that they are only allowed to work here because IMFT has to comply with the law.
    Nevertheless, IMFT policy specifically says that in order for your domestic partner to receive benefits through you, you need to be married to a person of the opposite sex, which could be determined that they won't recognize gay marriage.

- Philosophy: Although this is a successful company and it will continued to be a successful company, the company does not foster an environment of creativity, integrity nor teamwork, only productivity, this is good for some people, not for me.

why even bother? I spent 7 years trying, and that is my fault. my biggest regret, I didn't quit earlier.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to review IM Flash, and for your candor in telling us your experience. Please know that it is NEVER our intention for anyone to feel their contributions are valued less ... More

It's a job, but don't know about a career.

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies

Pros

One of best paying employers in Utah.

Cons

Too much influence from Micron. It stymies creativity. Yes men preferred. The good intentions from the senior leadership team appears to be lost at the section managment level.

This is a great place to work

Current Employee - Wet Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Wet Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) This is overall, a great company to work for and is much more stable than other semiconductors.
    2) Very important: During downturns the company has shown a history of not looking at layoffs as the first solution. Instead they find ways to cut costs but still let people keep their jobs.
    3) I love that everyone from the CEO to the janitorial staff are responsible for the success of the company and there is very little nose turning by upper management.
    4) When they ask for suggestions from employees they actually implement the suggestions given.
    5) Work is challenging enough to not get bored but not to the point of feeling frustrated every day. I actually feel like I accomplish things every day.

Cons

1) Working 4 12 hour shifts in a row and switching between day shift and night shift every 4 months can take a toll on you.

2) Water bottles are not allowed so sometimes you have to walk all the way across the building to a cooler to get water. Because of that, it's really easy to get dehydrated.

3) It's difficult to promote into higher engineering or leadership positions since most people stay in those positions for 5 years +. Since the positions are competitive, there's politics involved. People have to know you and like you. Sometimes people are hand picked and groomed for certain positions.

The promotion process at IM Flash is vague, subjective, and the paperwork for it is a pain. I believe if you are doing the job at a certain level, the promotion process should be easier.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're glad your experience has been positive! We actively look at Glassdoor to see how we're doing, so thanks for taking the time to review IM Flash.

Great place to work

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay, work-life balance, location of site

Cons

Bonus structure can be affected by external factors (global semiconductor market). This is expected within this industry....

Exciting high tech company with competitive pay and benes

Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation time is excellent. Start by accruing 11.5 hours per month and get up to 15 hours after 7 years. Bonuses are based on company performance so everyone contributes to the results. Being a joint venture of parent companies Intel and Micron guarantee a high tech atmosphere and the corporate support of both parents.

Cons

Micron is the dominant partner for employee relations. Although very successful as a technology developer and executing latest products to market, Micron's employee programs are always in a state of flux and company developed software for internal applications is tough to deal with. Opportunities for employment at Intel don't exist and opps for Micron are very limited.

IMFT compensation is great, don't let Micron mess with it. A few real employee perks will make IMFT a very desirable company in the area. The new gym will be great.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and ability to progress your career. Depending on your role, leadership can be flexible with work schedule and everyone has the ability to apply for job openings as they're posted; lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Team members are trained and quickly move to a certain level in their path and then it just stops. In my opinion, there are not satisfactory answers for why this occurs and is a high contributor to turnover.

We need to work on the turnover rate and truly find out why people are leaving. Much more is being said within the team than is being communicated to HR at the exit interviews.

An Exhilarating and Fun Ride

Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work culture is awesome. The people are very friendly. They really promote a good work/life balance here. They do a good job of training you and helping you to develop. The pay and compensation benefits are very good compared to most other companies.

Cons

Depending on where you are working in the company, there are sometimes quick changes in processes/tasks that you need to be keep up with. This is mainly due to the nature of this industry. It's always changing and evolving.

Good place to build a career

Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Shift Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are opportunities to advance in the company and these opportunities are made readily available

Cons

Shift work, can be more of a "turn the crank" job rather than requiring creativity etc.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The cross-team collaboration is excellent. I can work with people in any department to resolve issues.
    The technology is fascinating and the compensation is very good. I am consistently challenged in my job and am always learning more about the technology that we create. Boredom has never been an issue in my 7+ years of working here.
    Senior management does care about the people and works hard to help employees progress.

Cons

As a manager, I think work/life balance sometimes gets thrown off because there's always more work to do and there's a lot of pressure to deliver results quickly on many fronts.

Too many WIG's. Each team/department needs 1-2 top priorities. Too many top priorities makes it tough to achieve any of them.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love my job! I have a clear path to promotion. If a person is not getting promoted it is because they are not trying to get promotion. Very challenging and fast paced. Great work/ life balance with the 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Some areas still have supervisors that don't hold their people accountable. Meaning that they have people who do absolutely nothing and do nothing about it.

Get rid of the dead weight. You have some very talented and motivated people at IM Flash and when you don't deal with the dead weight your superstars will lose motivation.

IM Flash Technologies Photos