IM Flash Technologies

Updated December 18, 2014
3.8

IM Flash Technologies Co-CEOs Keyvan Esfarjani & Guy Blalock
Keyvan Esfarjani & Guy Blalock

Pros
  • Attractive for new college graduates looking for work life balance in this area (in 10 reviews)

• The people are great and the economy in Utah seems very strong (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Joint Venture between Intel and Micron is a marriage made in purgatory, neither heaven nor hell but contracted for 10 years (in 5 reviews)

• Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid Semiconductor company with growth potential

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Love the benefits - management works hard to make sure the benefits are 'better than the rest'. Solid programs in terms of time off, compensation, health insurance, etc. New High deductible plan is a Win-Win for company and employees.
    Challenging work makes each day different. Real problems to be solved, and the recognition program to reward those who are able to help fix/solve the problems.
    People - company is focused on bringing the right people into the company; so co-workers are strong performers, buying in to company values of Teamwork, Integrity, Commitment, and Execution

Cons

Semiconductor industry is a roller-coaster; which can lead to both highs and lows. As a Joint Venture between Intel and Micron, we have a tendency to feel the effects of the lows longer, and not as much of the highs (depending on how both of the parent companies perform). With co-CEOs, one from each parent company; there is a tendency to follow where the parents lead in terms of cutting in the bad times; which leads to morale challenges at times

Use the political capital you have to stand up for what you feel IMFlash is doing right. Don't cave to intertia and being part of 'their' network.

Rewarding/Challenging

Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly able to learn, grow and move up in the company. Colleagues are very skilled and capable and everyone works together towards common goals.

Cons

Volatile Market (funny, because we manufacture NON-volatile memory)

Good Company to work for, but very tough to break into Management ranks due to the Micronization of upper ranks.

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and paid time off was good, coworkers on average were friendly and considerate, healthy repeating bonuses, job security (never experienced a layoff), the outdoor recreation opportunities were plentiful, the work was as challenging as you made it, never really felt micromanaged and was given lots of autonomy.

Cons

Job Advancement was slow, multiple internal interviews for the same position. Very cliquish at Management level, all former Micron Employees from Boise (a bit of an inbred society). Cultural adjustments needed for a family moving to the state of Utah (enough said).

Great place to work

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay, work-life balance, location of site

Cons

Bonus structure can be affected by external factors (global semiconductor market). This is expected within this industry....

Exciting high tech company with competitive pay and benes

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation time is excellent. Start by accruing 11.5 hours per month and get up to 15 hours after 7 years. Bonuses are based on company performance so everyone contributes to the results. Being a joint venture of parent companies Intel and Micron guarantee a high tech atmosphere and the corporate support of both parents.

Cons

Micron is the dominant partner for employee relations. Although very successful as a technology developer and executing latest products to market, Micron's employee programs are always in a state of flux and company developed software for internal applications is tough to deal with. Opportunities for employment at Intel don't exist and opps for Micron are very limited.

IMFT compensation is great, don't let Micron mess with it. A few real employee perks will make IMFT a very desirable company in the area. The new gym will be great.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and ability to progress your career. Depending on your role, leadership can be flexible with work schedule and everyone has the ability to apply for job openings as they're posted; lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Team members are trained and quickly move to a certain level in their path and then it just stops. In my opinion, there are not satisfactory answers for why this occurs and is a high contributor to turnover.

We need to work on the turnover rate and truly find out why people are leaving. Much more is being said within the team than is being communicated to HR at the exit interviews.

A great place to work!

Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love my job! I have a clear path to promotion. If a person is not getting promoted it is because they are not trying to get promotion. Very challenging and fast paced. Great work/ life balance with the 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Some areas still have supervisors that don't hold their people accountable. Meaning that they have people who do absolutely nothing and do nothing about it.

Get rid of the dead weight. You have some very talented and motivated people at IM Flash and when you don't deal with the dead weight your superstars will lose motivation.

I don't think that all employees are a part of "The Family" here...

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the location and view, the hours are pretty good and how we are affecting our future is amazing!

Cons

Growth, pay, atmosphere/culture and management

I posted a review about a week ago that was not published here...hmmm...I wonder why?...lol...well, this company sounds amazing and all but, one will know different once becoming an employee. Our core values are suppose to be Integrity, Teamwork, Execution and Commitment. I have seen very little integrity and teamwork here as everyone seems to have job security on the mind. It's all about execution here by any means necessary. Who here seems to be fully committed? Absolutely no one! I think that I have been employed with the company for a few years more than I really should have been. Before I came to this company, I had no idea what my job description was. I applied and was amazed at the possibilities that were presented before me. After years of working for this company and all the I have learned/taught myself, I had considered myself to be a valuable asset to the company. My girlfriend has a new job answering phones and she has had two raises in a year worth $1 (ANSWERING PHONES!!!). Since being employed at IM Flash Technologies for over five times as long as my girlfriend and having the knowledge that I have acquired to assist in meeting all company goals, I have only received a raise of less than thirty cents. Ha!...does that seem, at all, fair to an employee who has done so much for a company that has a system in place where it's employees are not being properly compensated for the millions and millions of dollars he/she has helped the company profit from? In my opinion, the skills that I am continually asked to learn, develop, master and certify on don't seem to have as much worth as other jobs, for example, answering phones. Why am I still here?...The classic "Good Ole Boy" System hard at work here...lol ;)

No reply to this review means that I must be on to something here...please all, have a nice day! :)

P.S. Some of the other reviews here seem fake...I wouldn't trust all of them!

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 23, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that your experience at IM Flash has been different than you were expecting. We actually do read every Glassdoor review in an effort to improve. We encourage you (if you haven't ... More

Decent Job, tough to build a Career

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive pay, very generous time off, decent and mostly reliable bonuses. Work is challenging, fast paced, and varied/interesting. It is a great job and works well for work/life balance.

Cons

Advancement/raises are difficult to get -- requires employee to complete a cumbersome justification document and then justify it to their manager to get advanced within their current position (feels like it's intentionally made difficult to get advanced). There is not a lot of opportunity to advance upward into new positions and the advancement that does occur is often given to those that are insiders to the former Micron group. When times are tough for the parent companies, Micron pushes the same cost cutting measures on IM Flash employees that they enforce on their own people (freeze bonuses, reduce pay, freeze 401k matching) even though we are separate business units, but the upside of employee stock options is not there for IM Flash employees when times are good.

Re-vamp the promotion/advancement process so that employees don't have to feel like they are writing and defending their doctoral dissertation to get a raise or promotion. Supervisors should have discretion to make advancements for high performers without having to go through this process or making it completely incumbent on the employee to make it happen. Work to open up more career advancement opportunities for people.

Depending on your aspirations it might not be a good place for some minorities.

Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Healthcare: Very good health benefits and on site clinic
    - Good retirement benefit plan, 100% match up to 5%.
    - Decent Education assistance program, there are better out there but also worst.

Cons

- “Good ole boy” system in place: politics run rampant.
    One has to adhere to their template in order move up or get promoted , there is disconnect between rhetoric and action. They say they encourage straight talk which is a fallacy. They say that they welcome diversity, which may be true as long as you adapt to their standard of thinking.

- IMFT fails to train their managers to account for their own personal biases towards certain minorities.
    Promotions to position of influence are reserved to those whom they are familiar with and they perceive as capable based on the criteria of likeness and/or similarity. In other words, if I am manager and I think that I do a great job at what I do you, and you remind me of me, then you must be a good manager too. Blacks, Hispanics, Gays and other minorities are hardly bound to individual contributor; rarely do you see members of these groups in managerial positions. If you don't have these aspirations then, this is a good place to work.

- Very Conservative: There are some members of the LGBT group working here but I think that they are only allowed to work here because IMFT has to comply with the law.
    Nevertheless, IMFT policy specifically says that in order for your domestic partner to receive benefits through you, you need to be married to a person of the opposite sex, which could be determined that they won't recognize gay marriage.

- Philosophy: Although this is a successful company and it will continued to be a successful company, the company does not foster an environment of creativity, integrity nor teamwork, only productivity, this is good for some people, not for me.

why even bother? I spent 7 years trying, and that is my fault. my biggest regret, I didn't quit earlier.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to review IM Flash, and for your candor in telling us your experience. Please know that it is NEVER our intention for anyone to feel their contributions are valued less ... More

IM Flash Technologies Photos