IM Flash Technologies Reviews

1. Great Company and Great Core Value

Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It is one of the most high tech companies to work in the world. Very challening and rewarding culture. Some of the brightest engineers I have worked with in the industry.

Cons

IM Flash is a joint venture between Intel and Micron and lacks the brand value as Intel or Micron. This is a very competitive industry so we have seen some ups and downs with the macro economic cycles.

Advice to Management

Company has a really cool HR manager. He has continued to make IM Flash a cool company to work for. Proud of upper level managers for thier accessibility and new initiatives focused on people. We are recently getting new CEO directly from Micron. I hope he embraces IM Flash core values

2. Good Company to work for, but very tough to break into Management ranks due to the Micronization of upper ranks.

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay and paid time off was good, coworkers on average were friendly and considerate, healthy repeating bonuses, job security (never experienced a layoff), the outdoor recreation opportunities were plentiful, the work was as challenging as you made it, never really felt micromanaged and was given lots of autonomy.

Cons

Job Advancement was slow, multiple internal interviews for the same position. Very cliquish at Management level, all former Micron Employees from Boise (a bit of an inbred society). Cultural adjustments needed for a family moving to the state of Utah (enough said).

3. Rewarding/Challenging

Current Employee - Process Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Constantly able to learn, grow and move up in the company. Colleagues are very skilled and capable and everyone works together towards common goals.

Cons

Volatile Market (funny, because we manufacture NON-volatile memory)

Decent Job, tough to build a Career

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive pay, very generous time off, decent and mostly reliable bonuses. Work is challenging, fast paced, and varied/interesting. It is a great job and works well for work/life balance.

Cons

Advancement/raises are difficult to get -- requires employee to complete a cumbersome justification document and then justify it to their manager to get advanced within their current position (feels like it's intentionally made difficult to get advanced). There is not a lot of opportunity to advance upward into new positions and the advancement that does occur is often given to those that are insiders to the former Micron group. When times are tough for the parent companies, Micron pushes the same cost cutting measures on IM Flash employees that they enforce on their own people (freeze bonuses, reduce pay, freeze 401k matching) even though we are separate business units, but the upside of employee stock options is not there for IM Flash employees when times are good.

Advice to Management

Re-vamp the promotion/advancement process so that employees don't have to feel like they are writing and defending their doctoral dissertation to get a raise or promotion. Supervisors should have discretion to make advancements for high performers without having to go through this process or making it completely incumbent on the employee to make it happen. Work to open up more career advancement opportunities for people.

6. A great place to work!

Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Industrial Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexibility and ability to progress your career. Depending on your role, leadership can be flexible with work schedule and everyone has the ability to apply for job openings as they're posted; lots of room for advancement.

Cons

Team members are trained and quickly move to a certain level in their path and then it just stops. In my opinion, there are not satisfactory answers for why this occurs and is a high contributor to turnover.

Advice to Management

We need to work on the turnover rate and truly find out why people are leaving. Much more is being said within the team than is being communicated to HR at the exit interviews.

This is a great place to work

Current Employee - Wet Process Technician in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Wet Process Technician in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) This is overall, a great company to work for and is much more stable than other semiconductors.
    2) Very important: During downturns the company has shown a history of not looking at layoffs as the first solution. Instead they find ways to cut costs but still let people keep their jobs.
    3) I love that everyone from the CEO to the janitorial staff are responsible for the success of the company and there is very little nose turning by upper management.
    4) When they ask for suggestions from employees they actually implement the suggestions given.
    5) Work is challenging enough to not get bored but not to the point of feeling frustrated every day. I actually feel like I accomplish things every day.

Cons

1) Working 4 12 hour shifts in a row and switching between day shift and night shift every 4 months can take a toll on you.

2) Water bottles are not allowed so sometimes you have to walk all the way across the building to a cooler to get water. Because of that, it's really easy to get dehydrated.

3) It's difficult to promote into higher engineering or leadership positions since most people stay in those positions for 5 years +. Since the positions are competitive, there's politics involved. People have to know you and like you. Sometimes people are hand picked and groomed for certain positions.

Advice to Management

The promotion process at IM Flash is vague, subjective, and the paperwork for it is a pain. I believe if you are doing the job at a certain level, the promotion process should be easier.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're glad your experience has been positive! We actively look at Glassdoor to see how we're doing, so thanks for taking the time to review IM Flash.

8. Great place to work

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time

Pros

Benefits, pay, work-life balance, location of site

Cons

Bonus structure can be affected by external factors (global semiconductor market). This is expected within this industry....

9. Exciting high tech company with competitive pay and benes

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Vacation time is excellent. Start by accruing 11.5 hours per month and get up to 15 hours after 7 years. Bonuses are based on company performance so everyone contributes to the results. Being a joint venture of parent companies Intel and Micron guarantee a high tech atmosphere and the corporate support of both parents.

Cons

Micron is the dominant partner for employee relations. Although very successful as a technology developer and executing latest products to market, Micron's employee programs are always in a state of flux and company developed software for internal applications is tough to deal with. Opportunities for employment at Intel don't exist and opps for Micron are very limited.

Advice to Management

IMFT compensation is great, don't let Micron mess with it. A few real employee perks will make IMFT a very desirable company in the area. The new gym will be great.

This has been a solid company to work for as long as you keep in mind it is a big company and not a mom and pop business

Current Employee - Equipment Technician II in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician II in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I have half of the year off. I have great medical, dental and vision benefits. There is a good employee recognition program in place. They have a tuition reimbursement program going to help support the employees growth and personal development (as long as it is in line with company interests).

Cons

The shifts are 12 hours plus a little bit. Working inside the fabrication area requires wearing of a head to toe cleanroom jumpsuit and hood with a mask. There is sometimes a really big feel of being an unimportant cog in the machine. There is often a leadership by committee mentality and also a "big government" mentality where people who should be making decisions will not do it without full backing of a larger group or they will enforce programs even when they don't work just because "the boss said we have to so I am telling you to do it."

Advice to Management

Stay open to input for improvements from the floor level and if you are going to shoot something down, at least give it consideration first and then tell the person making the suggestion why the idea was rejected.

11. A great place to work!

Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Technician Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I love my job! I have a clear path to promotion. If a person is not getting promoted it is because they are not trying to get promotion. Very challenging and fast paced. Great work/ life balance with the 12 hour shifts.

Cons

Some areas still have supervisors that don't hold their people accountable. Meaning that they have people who do absolutely nothing and do nothing about it.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the dead weight. You have some very talented and motivated people at IM Flash and when you don't deal with the dead weight your superstars will lose motivation.

IM Flash Technologies Photos