IM Flash Technologies

Updated November 9, 2014
3.8

IM Flash Technologies Co-CEOs Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani
Jason Dunn & Keyvan Esfarjani

Pros
  • Attractive for new college graduates looking for work life balance in this area (in 10 reviews)

• The people are great and the economy in Utah seems very strong (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent (in 9 reviews)

• Joint Venture between Intel and Micron is a marriage made in purgatory, neither heaven nor hell but contracted for 10 years (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great job, takes effort to make it a great career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Values based at all levels of the company.
    Highly committed fast-paced environment .
    Company is open to and actively looks for improvements. Lots of opportunity to tackle challenging projects and initiatives.
    Individual growth is expected and supported with a growing amount of structure and clarity.
    Benefits (medical, dental, 401k, short & long-term bonuses) can be very good

Cons

Bonuses are dependent on the macro-economics of the industry
    Shift-work can be difficult to adjust to and for families to manage

Continue to develop leadership at all levels of the organization and drive more team member development accountability to the manager and supervisor levels in the organization.

Overall Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Face paced work environment, good people to work with, good bonus system

Cons

rotating shifts, long hours, good old boys network for promotions into management

Promotions should not be based on the number of hours worked, but what the individual can contribute to the company

Being the best at what we do is fulfilling and rewarding, we make the world mobile and smart!

Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Meteorology Shift Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The quality of the people who work here, and the ability to achieve difficult goals working together has to be one of the top benefits of working for IM Flash. The work ethic is probably unmatched anywhere else. And the chance to be at the forefront of technology development makes every workday worth it. Plenty of recreation activities in the surrounding mountains, canyons, lakes, and parks make the off days fun and relaxing.

Cons

The company by international standards is very small, with less than 2,000 employees. This has limited the opportunities to grow in experience of the various areas of manufacturing and has somewhat restricted the potential knowledge that could be gained of the vast scope of semiconductor manufacturing. Opportunities to interview for either of the parent companies (Intel and Micron) is almost non-existent.

Need more growth opportunities. One way to provide this is to allow more movement between departments. By understanding another area, I would be a better contributor to the companies overall success. Some team members are still in the same job they started in and I believe they stagnate without change.

I don't think that all employees are a part of "The Family" here...

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I really like the location and view, the hours are pretty good and how we are affecting our future is amazing!

Cons

Growth, pay, atmosphere/culture and management

I posted a review about a week ago that was not published here...hmmm...I wonder why?...lol...well, this company sounds amazing and all but, one will know different once becoming an employee. Our core values are suppose to be Integrity, Teamwork, Execution and Commitment. I have seen very little integrity and teamwork here as everyone seems to have job security on the mind. It's all about execution here by any means necessary. Who here seems to be fully committed? Absolutely no one! I think that I have been employed with the company for a few years more than I really should have been. Before I came to this company, I had no idea what my job description was. I applied and was amazed at the possibilities that were presented before me. After years of working for this company and all the I have learned/taught myself, I had considered myself to be a valuable asset to the company. My girlfriend has a new job answering phones and she has had two raises in a year worth $1 (ANSWERING PHONES!!!). Since being employed at IM Flash Technologies for over five times as long as my girlfriend and having the knowledge that I have acquired to assist in meeting all company goals, I have only received a raise of less than thirty cents. Ha!...does that seem, at all, fair to an employee who has done so much for a company that has a system in place where it's employees are not being properly compensated for the millions and millions of dollars he/she has helped the company profit from? In my opinion, the skills that I am continually asked to learn, develop, master and certify on don't seem to have as much worth as other jobs, for example, answering phones. Why am I still here?...The classic "Good Ole Boy" System hard at work here...lol ;)

No reply to this review means that I must be on to something here...please all, have a nice day! :)

P.S. Some of the other reviews here seem fake...I wouldn't trust all of them!

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 23, 2014Marketing and Communications

We're sorry to hear that your experience at IM Flash has been different than you were expecting. We actually do read every Glassdoor review in an effort to improve. We encourage you (if you haven't ... More

Decent Job, tough to build a Career

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, competitive pay, very generous time off, decent and mostly reliable bonuses. Work is challenging, fast paced, and varied/interesting. It is a great job and works well for work/life balance.

Cons

Advancement/raises are difficult to get -- requires employee to complete a cumbersome justification document and then justify it to their manager to get advanced within their current position (feels like it's intentionally made difficult to get advanced). There is not a lot of opportunity to advance upward into new positions and the advancement that does occur is often given to those that are insiders to the former Micron group. When times are tough for the parent companies, Micron pushes the same cost cutting measures on IM Flash employees that they enforce on their own people (freeze bonuses, reduce pay, freeze 401k matching) even though we are separate business units, but the upside of employee stock options is not there for IM Flash employees when times are good.

Re-vamp the promotion/advancement process so that employees don't have to feel like they are writing and defending their doctoral dissertation to get a raise or promotion. Supervisors should have discretion to make advancements for high performers without having to go through this process or making it completely incumbent on the employee to make it happen. Work to open up more career advancement opportunities for people.

Depending on your aspirations it might not be a good place for some minorities.

Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Equipment Technician III in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Healthcare: Very good health benefits and on site clinic
    - Good retirement benefit plan, 100% match up to 5%.
    - Decent Education assistance program, there are better out there but also worst.

Cons

- “Good ole boy” system in place: politics run rampant.
    One has to adhere to their template in order move up or get promoted , there is disconnect between rhetoric and action. They say they encourage straight talk which is a fallacy. They say that they welcome diversity, which may be true as long as you adapt to their standard of thinking.

- IMFT fails to train their managers to account for their own personal biases towards certain minorities.
    Promotions to position of influence are reserved to those whom they are familiar with and they perceive as capable based on the criteria of likeness and/or similarity. In other words, if I am manager and I think that I do a great job at what I do you, and you remind me of me, then you must be a good manager too. Blacks, Hispanics, Gays and other minorities are hardly bound to individual contributor; rarely do you see members of these groups in managerial positions. If you don't have these aspirations then, this is a good place to work.

- Very Conservative: There are some members of the LGBT group working here but I think that they are only allowed to work here because IMFT has to comply with the law.
    Nevertheless, IMFT policy specifically says that in order for your domestic partner to receive benefits through you, you need to be married to a person of the opposite sex, which could be determined that they won't recognize gay marriage.

- Philosophy: Although this is a successful company and it will continued to be a successful company, the company does not foster an environment of creativity, integrity nor teamwork, only productivity, this is good for some people, not for me.

why even bother? I spent 7 years trying, and that is my fault. my biggest regret, I didn't quit earlier.

IM Flash Technologies Response

Oct 10, 2014Marketing and Communications

Thank you for taking the time to review IM Flash, and for your candor in telling us your experience. Please know that it is NEVER our intention for anyone to feel their contributions are valued less ... More

One of the best companies to work for but still needs improvement

Current Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineering Supervisor in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Core values based company (great core values), Utah offers great outdoor entertainment, pay is competitive for the area, good benefits including bonuses (unless the market is down) and the company is always trying to improve and create a better environment for the team members.

Cons

The company is people focused and, in my opinion, too people focused. From a Supervisor's view, it is difficult to manage when everything has to be documented and proven with the view that we will be sued for firing someone. It also makes it very difficult to talk to your directs and worry about hurting their feelings and being reported to your manager or to HR.
    Advancement opportunities into management (M1 or >) seem to be few and far between. And now, unless your current job is Process related, it is nearly impossible to get an M1 position.
    I don't like the fact that I have stayed at the same income level for multiple years without any raise.
    Management will sometimes create a mandate for the Supervisors to fulfill and when it is put into action on the floor, the reports get upset and complain to management and then management changes direction. This creates the impression that the Supervisors are going rogue and are not being supported. This has happened a few times to me personally.
    Salaried team members are expected to sacrifice their days off for the company too often. I understand having to make sacrifices sometimes but it has become the norm instead of the exception. Coming in on your days off for meetings or for classes has become a weekly expectation, at least for my department they have. If you don't and you skip and take your day off, then you are looked at as not being committed or caring about your job or the success of the team.

It's a job, but don't know about a career.

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies

Pros

One of best paying employers in Utah.

Cons

Too much influence from Micron. It stymies creativity. Yes men preferred. The good intentions from the senior leadership team appears to be lost at the section managment level.

Great place to work if you love filling out Excel spreadsheets

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay for the area, decent benefits though the medical coverage is getting worse over time

Cons

Large focus on "project management" to solve problems led by people who couldn't solve their way out of a paper bag. The company has failed to hire enough engineers that can actually solve problems so they have tried to create a paint by number approach to engineering which mainly involves filling out spreadsheets to see if you can figure out the problem, but which rarely works.

Stop the business fad of the month club approach to management (KT, 5 Why's, Project Management, FMEA, WIGS) and start letting engineers actually solve problems. If you hired an engineer who can't actually solve a problem without some ridiculous spreadsheet and a paint by number approach to solving problems, then fire that engineer and bring in a real engineer.

Pretty good place to work

I have been working at IM Flash Technologies

Pros

Good benefits, good company values

Cons

The memory market has some ups/downs

IM Flash Technologies Photos