www.imc-chicago.com

Updated December 13, 2014
Updated December 13, 2014
3.2

IMC Financial Markets

An amazing company to work for

Current Employee - Network Engineer
    Current Employee - Network Engineer

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The biggest pro of working at IMC is working with many tallented and smart people. The atmosphere and culture is also a big bonus; there is a chemistry between team members and feedback is always welcome and encouraged to team members and management the same. Other areas IMC focuses on are employee developement and life/work balance. You're encouraged and will be sponsored to take classes, watch/attend seminars and learn anything that will help you and IMC get better. New ideas are always welcome and every employee is encouraged to speak their mind and share their ideas. You will have a chance to work on great new projects and grow your skills and knowledge. Knowledge sharing is also a given; in addition to cross teams training, such as between system and network engineers, we also cross train globally so we get a chance to visit our Europe and Asia Pacific offices. Finally, the work atmosphere is awesome. We have a table tennis table, fusbal and pool tables, parties, annual trip, holiday gift, charity work, gym membership, etc. and I never had a better health and dental insurance amongst other great benifits.
    IMC spends a lot on it's employees to make us happy, excited and interested, and balanced as far as I work and family time and i appreciate this very much.

Cons

We face a lot of changes and challanges. We could change a system or the way we trade in a short time. These changes might cause a lot of stress as the consiquences of a mistake might be large. Also, you are constantly challenged to improve and will receive a lot of feedback. If you take offence or don't like to receive feedback, and comfortable with what you know then this might not be for you. Finally, because of cross training etc. you might be required to travel depending on your position, sometimes for weeks at a time. If you don't like traveling then this might not be for you and ask in advance at an interview. IMC is very honest and open about these things.

Continue to improve our culture with honesty and openess. Also, continue investing in IMC employees and treat them as a part of the company.

Still very happy here

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time

Pros

-In comparison to my peers, I am working on way cooler things and have had more opportunities and impact early on in my career. They throw you on a desk and you learn by doing.
    - The benefits are the best I've seen; we are spoiled with company events, trips, free food and drinks constantly
    - I hang out with a lot of my colleagues since people are from all of the US and world
    - Working with really smart and motivated people
    - Global: I've had the opportunity to work at our overseas office and work on global teams

Cons

- Working with smart and motivated people can turn the pressure on at times and you don't want to disappoint
    - The industry itself is very competitive; if you don't like competition then it is not for you
    - There has been a lot of change over the years which comes with building a company. You have to be comfortable with change here and be agile

- A lot of efforts have been taken recently to communicate more (monthly updates) and hear from everyone within the organization and not just 'managers'. Keep up the good work!

Dec 22, 2014Head of Recruitment

Thanks for the review! Our aim has always been to have a great benefits plan to make life easier, which is why we also enjoy offering a lot of free perks. I agree that we work among some of the ... More

I have completely changed my technical abilities for the better. The experience I have gained is priceless.

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-Great opportunity to collaborate across teams
    -Opportunity to learn whatever you want as long as you get your primary responsibilities done
    -Energetic employees that are fun to work with
    -Overall positive atmosphere

Cons

Some weeks a lot of hours need to be put in, but that is expected in this industry.

Keep up the good work. The opportunity to move to different teams is a big motivation to keep working hard. I'd like to see more of this where appropriate.

Dec 22, 2014Head of Recruitment

Thanks for the feedback! It is the energy and attitude of our employees that will make us a top trading firm in the Americas. The people I work with are what make me excited to come into work every ... More

Great place to work

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Working on new cool technologies
    - Every day is a little different so it keeps me on my toes
    - Enjoy the people on my team and like working with them
    - Learning more and more with passing month.
    - Travel to other offices in Europe and APAC

Cons

Nothing to report for the cons section but the glassdoor site requires a minimum of 20 words in this field.

I think they are doing a good job and think they will continue on this track.

Dec 22, 2014Head of Recruitment

We like your title “Great Place to Work” because we are always striving to be exactly that. You describe my favorite aspects of IMC and it makes me happy to see that people recognize and appreciate ... More

solid company with unlimited potential

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fast paced, constantly improving to get better, lots of collaboration between individuals and teams. Everyone is making an effort to help, positive environment. Very clear future vision and it is communicated to all employees. All the strategic directions got refocused recently.

Cons

Hard to keep track of all changes. Sometime people eager to reinvent the wheel. Processes/procedures need to be more polished.

Dec 22, 2014Head of Recruitment

We appreciate the feedback! It is helpful to hear that the changes we have made over the years have created an environment that people like to work in. We will continue to communicate and increase ... More

Obfuscation at its worst

Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technology in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Surely giving credit where it is due - these are what is attractive about the firm:

1. A lot of free perks (concerts, lunches, company trips, etc)
    2. Benefit plans are very good
    3. College atmosphere which is great for single guys
    4. Mac laptops available as are iPhones
    5. Location in the loop close to public transportation

Cons

Major part of the problem is that people running the place as very inexperienced in management, psychology and communication. Here is what is bad about the place:

1. Management is around only because of tenure and closeness to openers. Not because they are great leaders or have great visions or other skills.
    2. Copy cat culture. There are no original ideas here. Everything comes from interviewing employees of competitors and then trying to copy it.
    3. A lot of dead weight. Bad traders continue to be employed due to closeness with those mentioned in #1.
    4. Churn and burn mentality. Those in #1 will hire a lot of fresh grads and those fresh grads will be put through the rigor. Most of them will leave or get fired in a few years and will be replaced by fresh grads. this keeps the cost structure low and those in #1 get to keep their power and seniority because there is no one left to challenge them.
    5. Height of hypocrisy at this place. They say at IMC that "the argument wins". What they really mean is that if you "argue" with a select few people or disagree with them you are pretty much out the door. Also they say that they hire the smartest people (based on GPA I would guess). Yet those in #1 would not be hired under the current GPA threshold in place. They say that they are a flat culture but politics and bureaucracy run rampant.
    6. Teams of people monitor social media and spread disinformation. Case in point these last two reviews on this site were written by these teams or could be a team of one. They always state the cons to be that the place is too challenging or demanding and that is all. In reality, there is a lot wrong with this place which is common knowledge but is glossed over by these teams of monitors. Read their reviews and you will see how similar they really are to each other.
    7. Oft repeated and very true that this is a Dutch company. The Dutch run it and are paid more and given more responsibilities. Deal with it and you will be okay. If you are looking for fairness this is not the place.
    8. Strategies are too plain vanilla market making relying purely on speed. Read flash boys and you will get an idea of what they do here. Once the speed advantage is gone, there is nothing left here.
    9. There is a blog dedicated to Dutch trading companies. A lot of other issues with IMC are detailed over there. Its closest competitor is Optiver, which does not have a lot of issues detailed. Makes you wonder about this place.

Look at GETCO, Virtu, Spot etc. They have hired experienced professional management and given them the ability to run the place without interference. Try that and get rid of some of those in the partnership rank who just cannot lead.

Great place to work with smart people

Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Trader in Chicago, IL

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Recent grads are given lots of responsibility much earlier than at other trading firms
    - Lots of independence and ability to determine your own direction at the company
    - Good technology
    - Work with exceptionally smart people so that it is easy to learn from the best within and outside of your job function. A lot of mentoring
    - Work hard, play hard environment, fast paced and challenging work

Cons

- Expectations are high
    - Work-life balance isn't great. Everyone is passionate about work which can make hours long
    - The company seems pretty to new to being this size. A lot of the managers seem to be new to people management and learning pieces of it on the job.

Dec 22, 2014Head of Recruitment

Thank you for taking the time to write feedback! I think you are spot on—we look to give people a ton of responsibility early on in their career and allow them the space for creativity and growth ... More

Quite a great experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Financial Markets full-time (more than an year)

Pros

smart coworkers. good at systems design

Cons

software is used internally. not much impact to outside world.

They have bad reviews because they are a bad company

Former Employee - Trader Intern in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Trader Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at IMC Financial Markets as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

If you're a star, you can make a lot of money very early in your career. There is a decent amount of independence as well. Good technology, seems like they are continuing to make money.

Cons

Opaque management and decision-making. Low trust environment. People don't seem satisfied with the compensation structure. The Dutch call the shots, with the Chicago management / HR there to smooth things over (but not change anything).

Value your employees as assets, not commodities.

Dec 12, 2014Managing Director

Thanks for taking the time to submit feedback based on your experience as an intern. The independence we offer interns, as you correctly identified, is a foundation for our success. I personally ... More

Avoid this company

I have been working at IMC Financial Markets

Pros

Working in the tallest building in the country. That's about it sadly.

Cons

Dirty politics, awful and arrogant management, backstabbing culture and no spirit of camaraderie amongst employees.

All in all, the environment is purgatoric.

Treat your employees better and foster an environment of dignity and respect.

IMC Financial Markets Photos