IMF

IMF Reviews

Updated Mar 27, 2014

IMF Chairman and Managing Director Christine Lagarde

Christine Lagarde

Pros:
  • "And work-life balance is much better than Wall Street; 40 hours a week is typical"
    in 6 reviews
  • "The workload is not very demanding and it has pretty good benefits"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Despite ongoing efforts, still bureaucratic, lack of prospects, and not the place to go for work-life balance"
    in 3 reviews
  • "career development limitations are key problem for staff"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Experience at the IMF

Research Assistant (RAP) (Former Employee)

I worked at IMF full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork life balance, opportunities for growth, and desirable compensation

Consi cant think of anything at the moment

Excellent place for economists

Senior Economist (Current Employee)

I have been working at IMF full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a great place for macroeconomists to work; maybe the best, in fact. You will work with incredibly smart colleagues. It is a very collaborative environment. You get to influence the international macroeconomic policy debate. There is a lot of travel involved if that is your thing, or you can choose positions where not much travel is required. Thanks to its being a UN agency that has been run by Europeans, the expat benefits are excellent--tax-free salaries (NB: if you are a US citizen your pay is topped up so your after-tax income is the same as your colleagues; effectively the IMF pays your tax for you); education benefits (75% of tuition is covered, up to $24T per child); you can bring a nanny; generous leave (25-30 days a year plus holidays); maternity and paternity leave; it has fully-funded defined benefit pension (you can hardly find this anymore!). Job security is excellent; they effectively hire for life (downsides to this, see cons below). And work-life balance is much better than Wall Street; 40 hours a week is typical.

ConsAs an international organization, it is prone to bureaucracy, although one consolation is that it is better-run than the World Bank across the street. It is a pretty flat organization so promotions tend to be slow; you should derive your satisfaction not from moving up, but from the variety of assignments available. No one gets fired, which is good for job security but it also means that poor performers are shuffled from one department to another instead of being fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile the IMF is a great place to work, its compensation and benefits package vis-a-vis academia and the private sector has been eroded over the past few years. If management wants to be able to attract and retain good economists, it should restore the competitiveness of its compensation and benefits package. Just as important, it should do more to differentiate compensation based on performance, rewarding good performers properly. Finally, it should make employment more flexible so it can get rid of poor performers.

Competitive Salary

Economist (Current Employee)

I have been working at IMF full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood experience to place on resume. Multicultural, working with people with good connections, good work environment.
Good exposure to international macroeconomic issues, a lot of learning events.
The benefits (when you get them) are great! No income tax.

ConsNot enough opportunities for younger staff to advance and gain meaningful experience. Can take years to earn a permanent position. The slim chance of becoming staff from a contractor position.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop drinking coffee.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work rich in cultural diversity.

I have been working at IMF full-time for more than 10 years

ProsRespect of colleagues. Exposure to leading edge technologies. Ability to work remotely. Flexible work schedules. Good work ethics.

ConsUnder staffed. Work load is extremely high. Salaries could be more competitive. Relationship with vendors could improve. Appearance of a cast system could be eliminated. Reward high performing people.

Advice to Senior Managementwork on being more transparent and apply policies uniformly. improve collaboration across divisions

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A mixed bag

Senior Economist (Former Employee)

I worked at IMF full-time for more than 10 years

Pros(i) A great place to accumulate experience on applied macroeconomics and country specific expertise.

(ii) Good opportunity to work with a high caliber international staff.

(iii) Good salary and compensation package but the IMF cannot compare with the compensation paid to senior level executives in private consultation practices or in investment banks. The similar level IMF staff have the qualifications to hold those private sector jobs. So yes, the IMF package is good, not great.

ConsSlow promotion

Personnel policies are not transparent

Lack of independent review of personnel policies and decisions

Politics involved in management decisions related to careers

Very slow turnover due to foreign nationals trapped by G-IV visas. Most of them cannot leave the IMF for employment in the United States or other developed countries. Turn over is not low because they all think the IMF is such a great place to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove the transparency of personnel policies

Review the decisions of supervisors by an outside panel in the most egregious of cases

Reduce politics behind personnel decisions

Lots of financial benefits but outdated work practices, does not foster talent and tenure structure promotes bullying.

I have been working at IMF full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe financial package overall is attractive, although very little growth can be achieved on the initial offer and no bonuses. Opportunity to work with some intelligent people and on the international stage.

ConsEmbarrassingly outdated work practices. Organisation is unable to identify, foster and encourage talent. Endemic passive-aggressive bullying and intimidation. Predominantly frustrated workforce.

Advice to Senior ManagementCome up with a way to fire the non-performers

It's a good and exciting place to work in your 20s

Staff Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at IMF as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsDiverse work environment, intellectually stimulating events and generous benefits

ConsVery short career ladder unless you're an economist

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more transparency in internal hiring procedures

Great organization to work for but depends on your Dep.

Research Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at IMF full-time for more than a year

Prosgreat benefit and pleasant work evironment. You will have a lot to learn from the smart economists

ConsYour experiences is largely depend on which department/division you're in. If you are lucky to be in the important division (I mean many important projects in the division), you will have a lot to learn but it will significantly increase your OT as well..

good experience

I have been working at IMF full-time for more than a year

Prosbenefits, work environment, training offered

Consno career growth, poor management

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Washington, DC

I worked at IMF as a contractor for more than a year

Pros-Great people. Everyone is friendly and it is about family. Find your niche and soar....the sky is the limit
-Great learning environment and ability to move into positions and learn new technologies and subject areas.

ConsNone. Treats everyone well and you are allowed to expand and grow as much as you are willing to put into it.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Worked for IMF? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at IMF reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for IMF CEO Christine Lagarde. All 66 reviews posted anonymously by IMF employees.